Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Domino's Office

Page: 1 of 1
 Captain Xero
03-27-2003, 5:15 PM
I think my version of GF may have a bug of some sort in it. I vividly remember having a conversation with Domino in his office in Year 3, in which he revealed the evil plan a little, mentioning Hector, but I only saw it once, and have since been unable to access that conversation. Is this a problem anyone else has had? The patch didn't seem to do anything about it.
 Thrik
03-27-2003, 6:25 PM
Moved to game help, you'll probably get a better response.

And I have no idea at all what could be causing that, sorry.
 scabb
03-27-2003, 7:21 PM
I don't think there is one, unless you mean the cut-scene with Manny, Meche & Domino..

If you take out your scythe or whatever at a particular time though, Domino threatens you with a cigar and smokes his pistol. I'm not sure if this is a bug or intended.
 C Shutt
03-28-2003, 2:37 AM
No, there is a conversation. I had the same problem, but for me, the conversation was there when using the standard installation, but absent after I'd installed the patch.
 Captain Xero
03-28-2003, 8:26 AM
It seems to be one of those things you see once in a lifetime, and when it's gone it's gone.
 scabb
03-28-2003, 10:40 AM
Meh, I never actually played the part without the patch, my 700mhz "BEAST" needed Grim patching before I could pass Rubacava. I'm gonna check this out though, I wonder why they'd remove it? Plot holes?
 Thrik
03-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Maybe someone could use SCUMM Revisited or something to get the lines?
 C Shutt
03-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by scabb
Meh, I never actually played the part without the patch, my 700mhz "BEAST" needed Grim patching before I could pass Rubacava. I'm gonna check this out though, I wonder why they'd remove it? Plot holes?

They didn't remove it, it's still there. I'm not sure the patch has any effect on it, I've played the game without the patch and been unable to access the conversation. I believe I may have been able to access it with the patch, as well.

I used to have a transcript of the conversation, I posted it on the old LucasFans forum. I'm not sure if I have it on my new computer. If I do, I'll post it here.
 C Shutt
03-28-2003, 12:19 PM
Found it. This is a direct exerpt from the game's dialog transcript. Enjoy.

INT. Domino's Office DAY

Manny
Domino.

Manny
DOMINO!

Domino
Taking your first coffee break already Calavera?

Manny
We got a score to settle, ese.

Domino
(sigh) You know, if I ever spoke to my boss Hector that way...

Manny
You killed my best friend.

Domino
The demon?

Domino
(sigh) Manny, you can use a demon as a driver, let him carry your messages, let him serve you food...

Domino
...but you can't ever start thinking of them as friends, it's just not natural.

Manny
What are you doing out here on the edge of the world?

Domino
Oh, I know. I ask myself that every day.

Domino
But I'm going to train you, Manny, to take my place here, running this two-bit light bulb factory!

Manny
How can you keep little children in a cage?

Domino
Trust me, it's easier than keeping BIG kids in a cage.

Manny
Why don't you just sprout me like you tried to at Puerto Zapato?

Domino
That wasn't me, that was Hector.

Domino
He's so unimaginative, just wants to tie up the loose ends, you know?

Domino
But I believe, however, that you can be rehabilitated through honest work!

Manny
What makes you think I'm going to work for you?

Domino
Well, there's not much to do on this island if you don't work, take it from me!

Domino
And think about it--once I'm gone, it will just be you and Meche alone on this deserted island...

Domino
Don't tell me that prospect doesn't appeal to you.

Manny
I don't plan to be on this island for very long.

Domino
Manny, I have all the guns, I have all the transportation...

Domino
...and I have all the brains.

Domino
What are you gonna do?

Manny
I'm taking Meche out of this dungeon.

Domino
Manny, before I found her, she spent a year out there in the Petrified Forest alone because of you...

Domino
By comparison, I'd say I'm keeping her pretty comfortable here in my, uh, "dungeon," wouldn't you say?

Manny
You and Hector set up a secret hideout to make light bulbs?

Domino
Oh, no, that's just a side benefit.

Domino
The real purpose is to have a place we can lock up all these old clients of mine.

Domino
Can't have good people wandering loose in the Land of the Dead...

Domino
...telling everybody how we stole their Double-N tickets, now can we?

Manny
You stole all these people's tickets?

Domino
Okay, how much of this haven't you figured out, Calavera?

Domino
Copal would route all the good clients to me after he switched over their tickets to a secret holding fund...

Domino
I'd cover up the paper trail, and we'd make sure that the pigeon "jumped overboard" heh heh, at the Pearl.

Manny
I knew it! You WERE getting all the good clients!

Domino
I handled them all, except for Mercedes, who you hijacked from me in that ridiculous hot-rod...

Domino
Which I saw, by the way, last time I was in Rubacava.

Domino
I tell you Manny, hot rods like that just don't look safe to me...

Manny
So, it wasn't my fault Meche didn't get a ticket--you stole it!

Domino
Well, it's your fault she ended up in the forest, instead of here right away...

Domino
But I fixed that.

Manny
One ticket for you, one for Hector, how many more do you need?

Domino
Oh, Manny, we never touch the product ourselves!

Domino
We sell the ticket to unfortunate souls...

Domino
...unable to lead moral lives because of the crippling amount of cash they were born into.

Manny
But you could just take the tickets and leave today!

Domino
We've found a way to make the Land of the Dead LIVABLE, why would we want to leave?

Manny
Nice island you got here.

Domino
Yeah the previous owners didn't know what they had here--let us pick it up for a song.

Domino
They scooped out all the coral they could reach with their crane, and then abandoned the plant!

Domino
But we knew we had what it would take to go the extra distance to the big reef.

Manny
Are you about to lecture me about the winning attitude again?

Domino
No!

Domino
Slave labor, Manny!

Domino
That's the real ticket to success!

Manny
Well, I gotta get back to trying to escape.

Domino
Ha ha ha. Hey, you do that kid.
 ZaXeriaw
03-30-2003, 7:27 AM
aaah, now I remember that, but after I installed the patch, I haven't seen it, but I remember it from the first time I played the game... That's wierd...:rolleyes:
 Captain Xero
04-03-2003, 5:27 PM
That's the one. Thanks. I wonder if there's any specific thing that you have to do or avoid doing in order to trigger the ability to start the conversation.
 scabb
04-04-2003, 6:33 AM
I emailed DoubleFine, and Schafer did actually give me a response. It's a bug; and it explains why a lot of people "didn't get" the Grim storyline.
 C Shutt
04-08-2003, 5:34 AM
All that sweet, sweet exposition lost to a stupid bug.
 Sanspoof
04-08-2003, 2:23 PM
Gee, that makes the plot seem a whole lot easier to understand! I never got it when I was playing it before!
 silverblue
05-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Like you, when I first played it I did hear such a dialog, but when the patch is patched, you can't hear it no more by whatever you do.
I just thought, if it not been deleted, as you say, it would spoil the whole plot. But when it's deleted, it made the plot of year 3 much more non-sense! Why the hack is coral-mining things correspond to the stolen-ticket crime?? At least, you don't need to delete it all, just leave the part explaining the coral should be good.
Here I found some mp3 file containing the full version of the deleted dialog with domino

http://home.alltel.net/cf14312/dialog.zip)
Page: 1 of 1