Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Side Games - Sabbac

Page: 1 of 1
 UnfrozenCaveman
03-24-2003, 12:03 AM
Do you think they'll have other side games like sabbac or that chess-type game that chewie and R2D2 were playing? I mean, that would really pass time if they offered that on transports or each person could have a sabbac deck and you'd see a table of sabbac going on at a table in a cantina and then all of a sudden a blaster goes through the throat of one of the guys 'cause he was cheating.... something like that!

Anyways, I feel they should impliment it into the game, what do you think?
 Jan Gaarni
03-24-2003, 11:38 AM
There was talk a good while ago, to make it so you could play mini games, in example Sabacc and HoloChess of different kinds, while you where traveling to different planets, since obviously this takes time. :)

Unfortunatly, this has been cut from the initial release.
All we get to see now is a loading screen ones the transport takes off, or when you enter it (not 100% sure there) for the duration of the travel time, which can be anything from 3-9 minutes apperantly depending on how far you are going to travel.
Until the Space Expansion anyway. :)
 UnfrozenCaveman
03-24-2003, 12:44 PM
I don't think there should be a loading screen. I think you should just be able to go around in the transport- kind of like in EQ you could go to different rooms of the ship. That way you could strike up a conversation with another player or learn a language (depending on how they impliment it). I wouldn't mind waiting 9 minutes if I was talking with someone.
 Jan Gaarni
03-24-2003, 1:05 PM
That was also discussed a good while ago, but because of constraint to get the game out, it was dropped ... for now. :)
 Deft Aklin
03-24-2003, 4:25 PM
Now seriously, what is SW without Sabbac? Grrr! I saw some pics of some AT-STs on SWGalaxies.net though, that will fill the void. ;)
 legameboy
03-24-2003, 9:20 PM
yeah, they have to have SOME kind social game especially that chesslike game with those clay monsters, id pay that all day
 Sunshine Badass
03-25-2003, 7:03 PM
Why should they expect us to just sit around for 3-9 minutes every time we travel??? Sure it makes sense time wise... But I don't want to sit around waiting 3-9 minutes if I were a smuggler or something along those lines.
*Maybe for 2 minutes the FIRST time I traveled becasue I could enjoy the loading screen, or for 2 minutes each time if it were a new loading screen each time... as long as they were appeasing to the eyes*

How hard is it to have people enter a "building" (i.e. Transport)
and interact with those others who came along into that "building" and have a timer to do whatever you could inside the "building" in that time untill you arrived. Timer runs out, you're booted from the "building."

What I am saying is why can't they make the transport a building that moves you with shiny star filled windows inside and let you walk around in that building just like any other normal building, interacting with people and sleeping etc. etc. just get kicked out of it when you arrive. You get what I am saying?
 legameboy
03-25-2003, 7:04 PM
mybe theyll do that in the Space expansion pack you could also use that time for a bathroom break:D
 Jan Gaarni
03-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Why should they expect us to just sit around for 3-9 minutes every time we travel???
For the RP. :)

Granted, travelling thru hyperspace is an extremly quick way to move from A to M, but even that takes a certain amount of time. :)

The reason why they haven't done it so you can walk around inside the transport while you travel to another planet, or play a minigame with or without others, is simply not enough time to do it, complicated to implement it, or a combination of the 2.

I'm expecting it to change once the Space Expansion comes out though. :)

As a very important side note here: I looked thru the FAQ again in search of answers, and I couldn't come over the one that told you about the time it would take you to go from one planet to another, and that it varies from where you start and where you are going.
Instead it has been replaced by this one:
(the text in italic is new)
2.08 How will I manage space travel between planets before the Space Expansion is released?

Players will have access to public transports that will shuttle them between planets and between cities on planets. After players purchase a ticket, they will have to wait for their shuttle to arrive. For the initial release of the game, transportation will happen via a cut scene. After we release the Space expansion, players will be able to experience space travel first hand.

So forget about what I said earlier of it taking anything from 3-9 minutes. It appears that won't happen until the Space Expansion, if ever. :)
We'll see. ;)
 legameboy
03-27-2003, 10:44 PM
whoa, they should just teleport us then lol:p
 Kiedo
03-30-2003, 9:49 AM
Originally posted by legameboy
whoa, they should just teleport us then lol:p

No, that would just be stupid ;) :p
 cheeta
04-01-2003, 1:02 AM
What good is a smuggler who can't bet his four story secret villa on a sabaac game? Seriously, what is more fun for a smuggler than having a glass of Corellian Ale over a game of Sabaac? Or how about just something to do with your friends while waiting for a contact to show up? It'd be nice to see some games implemented sooner or later ;)
 Jan Gaarni
04-01-2003, 11:18 AM
One of the things I am truely looking forward to, is to just chill in a cantina, hopefully Swediots, with my friends, and have a Corellian Ale or 2, or anything else that he can mix together. :)

And maybe even get wasted with them once in awhile. :D

I'm sure there will be mini games such as Sabacc or HoloChess or any other mini games eventually. :)
 legameboy
04-01-2003, 8:05 PM
YAH! mini games!
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-02-2003, 9:37 AM
I see sabbac a lot like the card game in FFVIII and FFIX. It'll be fun to play some sabbac, and holochess. I just thought of the funniest thing. When a wookie plays holochess they should have a slight advantage- "because droids don't pull their arms out of their sockets when they lose." :D
 Jan Gaarni
04-02-2003, 10:37 AM
Well, if anyone wants to try it, you can always go here (http://www.ehnet.org/sabacc/). :)

It's based on the rules, and it's not that hard to learn.
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Wow, that is awesome. I've been playing for the past half hour. I'm going to wait till I get good to use my own money! Lol- we (The =A=) should start our own. That way we could keep track of credits and such, kind of like the Bounty Hunter Guild is doing. That'd be really cool.
 Jan Gaarni
04-02-2003, 4:29 PM
I'm going to wait till I get good to use my own money!
When you say "own money", do you mean real cash, or Galactic Standard Credits? :)
 Sunshine Badass
04-02-2003, 8:05 PM
Shh... Don't tell. It's a secret.;)
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-03-2003, 10:40 AM
Of course, i'm talking about Credits :p Anyways, it's a great game!
 Deft Aklin
04-03-2003, 4:33 PM
Yes Jan, thank you for the link. My buddy and I have been looking for something like that forever.

My current high score: 505,694
It tells me I'm ranked 7th, but the list goes way higher than my score. It took me four hours too.
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-05-2003, 1:02 AM
Hey, I can't get that link to work --> http://goliat.gorzow.mm.pl/~look/Sabbac.htm)
Little help from those that speak that language....swediot=)?
I remember a while back downloading something like that and I was just wondering if anyone had a file a lot like that. Somtimes, I just don't want to bother with the online version.
 Jan Gaarni
04-05-2003, 3:56 AM
Looks like some kind of russian language to me. Polish maybe? :)
So Swediot won't be able to help you there, mate. ;)
 setsuko
04-05-2003, 10:03 AM
Definately slavic, so no, neither I nor swediot can help you. I guess just about as little as you can help me with my magyar! ;)
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-05-2003, 10:12 AM
After I posted it and I looked at the spelling and all, I was like, "that looks more russian than some scandanavian language!"

So, you guys don't know where I could find this file elsewhere? I've already looked at http://www.downloads.com)
 Sunshine Badass
04-05-2003, 4:43 PM
What I am wondering is why they have WinAMP on that site... It seems rather randomly thrown in there compared to what else is on there.;) :p
 Deft Aklin
04-07-2003, 9:03 AM
It's a downloadable Sabbac game right? What do you need the other crud translated ofr then?
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-07-2003, 11:26 AM
Maybe I missed something without being able to read it. Also, I was asking more along the lines Does anyone know where I can find a download link that actually works for this? I know the sabbac online is great, but I'm just saying what if I don't have access to the net and I suddenly get an urge to play some sabbac. Know what I mean?
 Deft Aklin
04-07-2003, 3:37 PM
Well, technically, if you are resourceful enough, you can copy all of the various pages to your PC and redirect the links to your C:// drive. This would be a lot of work, but is feesible. I do mean a lot of work. Oh, and illegal. :D
 UnfrozenCaveman
04-07-2003, 5:08 PM
Umm...thanks but I do have a life ;) I'm sure some programmer some day will do it. Also, you know how they have the Star Wars CCG, and they do have the sabbac in the cloud city expansion, I think it'd be cool to also have a separate sabbac deck. Like a one shot deal- bam, you have all 74 cards and all you need to do is teach people to play. A lot like when we buy a deck of cards. I think that'd be cool. But then you could lose your car or something else, like your first born ;)
 Deft Aklin
04-07-2003, 5:53 PM
How would they cover the random shifting though? Technically the cards a electronic displays that are sent signals from the table to shift. Hence, a Sabbac cheater chip can be made from the transmitter in the helmet of STs. ;P

Yes, I have far too much time on my hands.

I guess technically you could create an added rule that if the phase die rolls in favor of the shift, then you roll it again, 1 or 2 is still no change, 3 or 4 is one random card and 5 or six would be two random cards. Something like that I guess. Sounds like a lot of added rolling though.
 Snood
04-14-2003, 3:20 AM
Ahhh get me away from this sabacc game its addictive I just got a pure sabbacc and then I bet more money than I had why oh' why!:eek:
 Dradle
04-14-2003, 5:43 AM
This is a nice Sabacc Link
 Jackrabbit
04-14-2003, 9:03 AM
I'd probably be addicted if I could play :p. I might as well stand by the side of the table, watch the game, but keep throwing my money in the pot :D. I'll try again later.
 setsuko
04-14-2003, 7:10 PM
Yes, I must admit I rarely got more than two games into that Sabbacc before I spent all my money. Remember that, gambling is BAD.

EDIT: oh, and I never realized until now that my name's glow, my avatar, and my image signature matches. I'm good! ;) (eeeeh.... as opposed to gambling, that is! There! I'm not rambling completely! Promise!)
 legameboy
04-15-2003, 9:56 AM
is the download in english, like the menus in the game and stuff, oh set, earlier on you metion a rom site, thnx im havin a ball playing those old snes games:)
 Jackrabbit
04-15-2003, 3:39 PM
Yeah, me too. I'm playing Chrono Trigger right now - my friend's been wanting me to play it for years. It's some good stuff.
 legameboy
04-15-2003, 3:58 PM
is a Street Fighter game on SNES? i want to "relive th experience"
Page: 1 of 1