Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Too quiet...

Page: 1 of 1
 The_One
03-22-2003, 3:54 PM
Is it just me, or is this place unusually quiet? I don't recall it being this quiet for so long before - maybe it's the war, I don't know - but what's up with everyone, and where have all the regulars gone?

Methinks I'm gonna have to dig up something cool for the site update tommorow ;)
 Katarn07
03-22-2003, 4:44 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Methinks I'm gonna have to dig up something cool for the site update tommorow ;)

That'll help. There just hasn't been anything to post about, and I didn't wanna make a thread about this. It just hasn't been the same since the demo was released, it seems...

An update loaded with new screens would be helpful. Personally, I wanna see more locations of each level, like more areas of Gromas instead of just the mine shafts. That is just an example of what should be shown. Anoat and the demo have the most variety of screens.
 StormHammer
03-22-2003, 5:28 PM
I keep checking this forum on a regular basis to see if there's any new stuff. As you say, there haven't been many posts recently, so I think everyone needs an injection of new stuff, in whatever shape or form.
 The_One
03-22-2003, 7:05 PM
Well, as I've said things are very slow at the moment. Darth_Linux only gets a couple of hours a week to work on things at the moment. Some of our mappers are very busy, a couple haven't been seen for a while. The texture team is in full force. The coding team is on standby. Models are coming on fine.

As you can see, there ain't much happening.

In a few weeks though, it will all change and hopefully we'll be churning things out at a better rate. The minute we have several near complete levels, and better code with some more weapons implemented, I'll start working towards a trailer.

Until then you're gonna have to live with what you get ;) But don't get too excited about tommorow's update, there's some new snowtrooper model screenshots, and hopefully an MP version of the Commando. Unless anything else lands on my desk before then, that'll have to do.

However, there is something fairly big in the works, which maybe appearing in a couple of weeks. Can't say anymore than that ;) Also, I believe Corto is doing a fairly big update to the Phase 1, and maybe starting on the Phase 2 shortly. The other day Fracman got a skinned repeater working with new effects (ie. Dark Forces effects) in game - that looks damn cool if I may say so.

Basically, we need mappers now. The ones we have are going quite slowly, and as I said, some have disappeared. I think we might start openly hiring new mappers again - eg. posting on all the main locations. I've also got a few specific mappers I want to target.

Sorry if I'm rambling on here - I'm very tired, but I'm just saying things as they come to me. Oh, here we go again:

Hopefully Lundquist will be releasing a new version of his soundtrack soon, which will be cool. Also, I expect Benevolence's will be available online soon aswell. Then, of course, there is the demo patch which will hopefully include the new Kyle model. Ooooo that reminds me ;)

Infinity Blade popped up on the team forums the other day with some brand new screenshots of his Kyle model. (The one on the website from a couple of weeks ago is one Salv did because we thought IBlade had left). Anyway, this model has improved about 500%, and if you remember, it was damn good even before. Trust me, you're gonna love this. That will make the update tommorow slightly more interesting methinks :)

OK, that's about everything I know (that I can tell ya) about the current status of things in the Dark Forces MOD. Remember to check the site tommorow :D

Rich
 Katarn07
03-22-2003, 7:15 PM
Cool, there is breath in this mod yet and it might get a bit more alive with these future updates. ;)

And is it just me, or do you usually not sign your posts off with "Rich"?

Matt

.... :D
 StormHammer
03-22-2003, 7:52 PM
Thanks for the lowdown, Rich! :cool:

Sorry to hear some mappers have faded away, though. :( If I had any skills to offer you, I would...but I'm mostly an ideas/writing/painting guy with about zero experience in mod-making...
 Katarn07
03-22-2003, 7:56 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
but I'm mostly an ideas/writing/painting guy with about zero experience in mod-making...

Well, I can't paint, but like you, have no modding skills. I wish for them alot for this project though. But, my ideas are posted all over here, and I can write well (you know, and I appreciate the feedback on my story alot!)

I hope you offer some conversations for stormies. I have written 3-4 (not sure if I did one for Gromas...)

Maybe we can have an update on the contest, like how many entries Darth has recieved and how many you looked at (probably none since it impedes progress, but you DID say it was slow...)
 Lundquist
03-23-2003, 6:51 AM
I wish I could help with the mapping, but I have absolutely no experience in that. The only thing I possibly could have contributed to was texturing, but that's in full force.
Btw, how are the cutscenes coming along?
I'm really looking forward to seing those models. I'm also quite interested in how the DT phase2 will eventually turn out, the designs in DF and Rebellion are quite different, the DF is probably more correct but in Rebellion it's more detailed.
Untill then, I'll just return to my music...

Speaking of which, there will be an update before too long (I hope), my bank needs to solve some of their computer problems so that my payment for a 30gigabyte symphonic brass library can go through. I've also managed to get some better percussion and woodwinds so it should sound more 'real' with the next update. I've also taken the critique I got into consideration, so the brass will be more powerful and I'll make the reverb more advanced (e.g. most on the percussion, least on the strings etc.)

p.s. If I'm writing something that doesn't make sense, it's because I've been working 2 jobs and only been sleeping 3 hours every night for the last week.
 michael_collins
03-24-2003, 1:48 PM
Il be honest, ive not been here for a bit cos of the war, and due to the fact that ive been using my brand new Steyr AUG AEG from Tokyo Marui, good gun, almost as sweet lookin as the E11 u guys made, anyways thats that.

PS, the new snowtrooper, id love to see skinned, its a pity ur only gonna use em on one level, or does Fest technically count as a snow level too? (its white, can you guys exploit that?)
 The_One
03-24-2003, 2:55 PM
Dave Aspmo is working on the skin - but he's having to use a JKII standard model, as he doesn't have the actual Snowtrooper model yet (Salv - the modeller - is on holiday and won't be back for about 3 weeks). I guess you can expect a skinned version in about a month or so.
 Katarn07
03-24-2003, 3:56 PM
No snowtroopers inside the base, or on Fest I would think...

Fest is just in some high altitude cliffs.
 The_One
03-24-2003, 4:53 PM
We could have a "Stormtrooper dressing room" with different ST outfits ;)

Oh come on, it's not that silly ;) Did you ever find the secret room in MOTS with about 20 dancing droids? Now that was silly.
 michael_collins
03-25-2003, 12:49 PM
Might be non canon but Rogue squad the game has snow on fest
 Algardex
03-25-2003, 3:45 PM
Where was that room in MOTS?
 The_One
03-25-2003, 4:32 PM
It's in Katraasi (sp?) Space Port (Part A). I found it by accident the first time I played the game. Every time I tried to go back in on previous plays through the game, the door was locked - never figured out how to open it again...

I couldn't give directions either - been a while since I played that game. In fact, I might re-install it this weekend - top game ;)
 Katarn07
03-25-2003, 4:59 PM
Originally posted by The_One
It's in Katraasi (sp?) Space Port (Part A). I found it by accident the first time I played the game. Every time I tried to go back in on previous plays through the game, the door was locked - never figured out how to open it again...

I couldn't give directions either - been a while since I played that game. In fact, I might re-install it this weekend - top game ;)

I know the locked doors, no clue how to get in... :(

I like the locker room idea. If any one has played NoLF, there are tons of those type rooms complete with lockers. Well, if you have played the 1st level of DF for MotS, it is an expanded base and has helmetless troops. There's an idea... I'm getting ahead of myslef here. See, this place isn't so quiet anymore.

Oh, and Fest might have snow, but DF didn't...
 Jeff 42
03-26-2003, 9:36 PM
If I remember correctly, to get into the dancing droid room you had to follow a droid that was walking around the map and eventually it would go that door and open it and you could get in. This is like in JK when in one level you could follow a woman into a locked house that had Max the killer rabbit in it.
 The_One
03-27-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Jeff 42
If I remember correctly, to get into the dancing droid room you had to follow a droid that was walking around the map and eventually it would go that door and open it and you could get in. This is like in JK when in one level you could follow a woman into a locked house that had Max the killer rabbit in it.

That just rang a bell :)

Must try that out then.
 The Count
03-27-2003, 2:03 PM
Some other Moddeler is making a Snowtrooper model, maybe to save time you could use that.
 The_One
03-27-2003, 3:16 PM
We already have a Snowtrooper model, and a skin in the works. Check the website :)
 The Count
03-27-2003, 3:32 PM
I did, I'm stating instead of having to work on a new one you could just wait for the other guy who's making the Snowtrooper instead of making one yourself and have the skinner do something else, it's just a suggestion though.
 Katarn07
03-27-2003, 4:05 PM
The team is making all there stuff so far, and the Snowtrooper is pretty close to finished it looks like. Needs a little more work for the model, a skin, and then it is able to be placed on Anteevy...
 The_One
03-27-2003, 5:57 PM
Originally posted by Count_D00ku
I did, I'm stating instead of having to work on a new one you could just wait for the other guy who's making the Snowtrooper instead of making one yourself and have the skinner do something else, it's just a suggestion though.

It's pretty much done...

Also, Katarn, bear in mind a lot of the stuff is not "ours", or home made. For example, the Wired Lamp Studios code was obviously not our own - until we worked sufficiently on it, to call it "ours", which we do now :) Also, we will be borrowing code from other places down the line to save time - like the flamethrower. Also, some modellers became members of the MOD because we had asked to use their work, like Duncan's Gammorrean. Don't be fooled into thinking we are making everything from scratch, if someone out there has done what we intended to do, we will try to get permission to use it.

In the case of the Snowtrooper, work is too far along now to use someone else's. But if you see any cool models (or anything else) around that we could use, then please tell us!
 The Count
03-27-2003, 7:15 PM
Sure thing.
Page: 1 of 1