Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

US veto rights. Are they right (pun intended)?

Page: 1 of 1
 ShadowTemplar
03-20-2003, 12:45 PM
Should the US have the right to veto Security Counsil decisions?

I'm saying no. For a number of reasons:

1) Starting off with the current situation, the behavior evidenced by the US in these passing weeks has been absolutely outrageous. The US has, in chronological order:

a) Attempted to boss the Security Counsil around.

b) Attempted to intimidate Security Counsil members when they didn't want to be bossed around.

c) Initiated an illegal war with the vast majority of the Security Counsil against it.

2) In the longer perspective, the US has used its influence in the Security Counsil to block any half-way sincere attempt to bring order to the Israel-Palestine conflict.

3) I find it questionable that the Security Counsil is both the Ruling and Judging body of the world's government. Now this basically unsatisfactory condition is worsened by the fact that the US holds so great power in the Security Counsil.
The US is, for all intents and purposes, the Chamber Militant of the UN, simply because the US is the only state that still has a military impact.
This means that the Executive Power (the US) has a disproportional influence over the the Ruling Power (the Security Counsil) and the Judging Power (also the Security Counsil, but which has previously shown willingness to extend this Power to external Courts (the International Warcrimes Tribunal, which the US has also not recognized)).
Translating this to US terms: Imagine your el Presidente in charge of both Congress and Supreme Court... Not something that you want to envision, is it? Yet that is exactly the situation on the international scene, as it appears to me, though I admit that I have not studied this subject intensively.
 C'jais
03-20-2003, 1:39 PM
No, the US shouldn't have the right to veto UN matters as it stands, but you can be sure they'll fight with every nail and tooth to keep it.
 ShockV1.89
03-20-2003, 1:41 PM
Wouldnt you?
 ShadowTemplar
03-20-2003, 1:47 PM
Yeah, I would... Buut, that's not really the point.
 C'jais
03-20-2003, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by ShockV1.89
Wouldnt you?

Given the position of the US, of course I would.

It's a matter of seeing what's best for the majority here, though.
Page: 1 of 1