Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

rescuing antan

Page: 1 of 1
 bloke
03-09-2003, 2:07 PM
how the hell do you do this?

there are too many starfigters to battle if you try and dogfight
if you go anwhere reamotely near the galleons they blow the snot out of you
if you try and fly straight to the station and pick up antan as quickly as you can you are a sitting duck and you just cannot outlast the ships that keep attacking you before antan is recoverd.

what the hell am i doing wrong, coz this is driving me bananas!

martinac
 Keyan Farlander
03-09-2003, 3:27 PM
I think I did this one by getting in and out as quickly as possible. You just have to get there, sit in the turret and try to blow the fighters away as they come. It's a hard one, though, no doubt about it.
 Admiral
03-09-2003, 4:35 PM
pratice being in the gun turrent.
 bloke
03-09-2003, 4:54 PM
this whole game just seems overly difficult. ive never played a game with such huge odds before. i like the x wing games, but this is brainbending.
 Admiral
03-09-2003, 5:35 PM
Well you can always lower the difficulty...
 bloke
03-09-2003, 7:45 PM
well games shouldnt be this hard ont he default difficulty setting in my view. the problem is that you are put in situations where you cannot really fight back. the rescue mission is one example, if you were to start by taking on all the fighters before rescuing antan, you run out of time and the imperils arrive. you have to sit there and get the crap pounded out of you while your hopeless ally does his best to shoot down 12 ships and not bothering to cover you. i lowered the difficulty to compelete this mission and was ablo to do so through a forunate break caused by a lack of attacking ships while antan was i docked.

the next mission is just as troublesome. you are swamped by tie fighters you cannot hope to engage (gotta concentrate on the probe droids) and capital cruisers. sure the rebels fight against the odds but 2 a wings against endless waves of starfighters and a fleet of capital ships? who leads the rebellion, jerry maguire?
 Admiral
03-09-2003, 8:07 PM
I never had the problem that your facing. (I found those missions to be easy when I played them) I actually stayed and played tag with the ties for a while.

Couple of tips:

Uncle Antan: destroy all of the ships that are originally in the area, the proceed to dock. Put full power into the shields and then shoot the new fighters as they leave the station.

Probe mission: Keep moving, first part of the mission, set lasers to zero and shields to full. Use missles to destroy the probes at first. Also use the capital ships to your advantage (Weave in and out of them). When probes are launched set lasers to +1 of normal recharge and dropped shields to +1 of their normal level

Once everything is destroyed turn shields back to normal and dump all laser power to your engines and run for the hyperbouy.
 bloke
03-10-2003, 4:16 AM
can you effectively hyper out during the mission and wait safely to recharge/repair before continuing?

martin
 Admiral
03-10-2003, 2:20 PM
I have no idea. Try it...
 BattleDog
03-10-2003, 5:50 PM
I don't like to say this but maybe you're a bellow par pilot. Those missions I finished 1st-3rd time, which I did with most in the game.
 RogueWing
03-11-2003, 5:10 PM
Bloke, email me at com@wingXI.net and I'll give you the detailed instructions on how to beat that mission. I have the XWA Strategy Guide from Prima.
I would post it here, but I don't have the time to look it up right now.
 bloke
03-11-2003, 5:27 PM
i should perhaps point out that, by this point (and at the gnashing of much teeth) i have reached the liberate warheads form the viraxo mission mission. that said i had to wtich to easy difficulty level to compelte that mission. i put the difficulty back on medium and very few of the later missions ive played seem that as hard as that. it seems to me that the family missions are tougher. im not convinced of the virtues of the gunnery chair for the most part anyway.
 Keyan Farlander
03-11-2003, 6:50 PM
I usually don't sit in it, but it's great that you can fire it form the cockpit with no laser charge (gives you some extra speed). Also, it's pretty useful on auto.
 Rebel Loyaltist
03-12-2003, 12:39 AM
If I were you I'd dump all your laser energy into either the engines or the shields, your pick. Or you could split it between the two. Then while you're flying to and fro to the station to rescue Antan set your turrents to defensive fire mode. Once you dock the gunning is all you. Yoy really don't need to destroy each target, just make sure they abort their attack run. Good luck.
 bloke
03-13-2003, 12:49 PM
what exactly are the fire modes of the yt transport type craft? i just stick to using the fire button as it seems more efficient adn fires a greater burst. also, what is up with tha accuracy in this game, its monstrous! attacking mines is so difficult, even close up with the mine dead center in the reticule it still missess. that cant be right.
 Gold leader
03-13-2003, 1:13 PM
If you think the game is extremely difficult, and the accuracy is off, you should buy a new, decent joystick. From experience I can tell you it helps a lot. :)
 bloke
03-13-2003, 3:19 PM
its not that the entire game is extremely difficult its that certain aspects of certain missions are. the issue withaccuracy isnt about the joystick, its the game itself; i can line up the target (a static one such as a mine) in the sights dead center and the gun will not hit it it will even miss if you are less than 0.20k away.
 Rebel Loyaltist
03-14-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by bloke
what exactly are the fire modes of the yt transport type craft? i just stick to using the fire button as it seems more efficient adn fires a greater burst. also, what is up with tha accuracy in this game, its monstrous! attacking mines is so difficult, even close up with the mine dead center in the reticule it still missess. that cant be right.

The YT-1300, YT-2000 and the Falcon all have to different firing mechanism the exception being the YT-2000 which has an ion cannon. Anyway the all have a foward laser and turrent lasers, the YT-2000 and the Falcon having two and te YT-1300 only having one turrent. Normally when you fire you get the foward laser and one of the turrent guns. If you pick a target anf press the "F" key the gunner will try to destroy your current target selected. If you press the F key again it will change to Defensive fire mode and will fend the closest thing targeting you allowing you to do other things. It's quite helpful.
 bloke
03-17-2003, 6:47 AM
ok, at this point i am really at my wits end. i am eternally stuck on the plant listening device mission, and,no matter what the difficulty i cannot complete it. the accuracy of the weapons makes targetting the troopers impossible and the fact that they are armed with more firepower than a star destroyer is ludicrous.

i can even get aeron back aboard the ship and yet that is still not enough! i am getting fed up with it. as i said the accuracy of the weapon (or the game i shoudl say) is so off that even lining up the target dead on is still not enough to shoot a target thats within range.

is there a cheat to get past this because im rapidly losing interest in playing.
 BattleDog
03-17-2003, 9:28 AM
There are no cheats. As to acuracy, the lasers are right below the ccokpit and its a problem only you seem to have.

Yet a new 'stick.
 Rebel Loyaltist
03-17-2003, 11:48 AM
ok, at this point i am really at my wits end. i am eternally stuck on the plant listening device mission, and,no matter what the difficulty i cannot complete it. the accuracy of the weapons makes targetting the troopers impossible and the fact that they are armed with more firepower than a star destroyer is ludicrous.

i can even get aeron back aboard the ship and yet that is still not enough! i am getting fed up with it. as i said the accuracy of the weapon (or the game i shoudl say) is so off that even lining up the target dead on is still not enough to shoot a target thats within range.

is there a cheat to get past this because im rapidly losing interest in playing.

This is a good mission to use the AutoGun Mode like I said earlier. Just use the "F" key.
 bloke
03-18-2003, 3:25 PM
i give up, i really do.

i have defeated all the zg troopers, i have inspected all the satellites, i have gotten aeron back aboard the ship and protected the satellite as well as myselfm but what is going on? there is no hyperbuoy? how the hell do you finish this mission?
this has to be a bug because there is absolutely no way to finish this mission; i cannot get back to the liberty and the objectives do not recognise that areon has finished her mission - despite her getting back aboard the ship of her own freewil.

well i guess i could use another coaster.
 Keyan Farlander
03-18-2003, 7:14 PM
Hang on there. Now this is a mission which has given people a lot of trouble, but I have completed it many times, and I know it's possible. I think the problem you had may have something to do with your sister aborting her mission, which happens if they get too close or something. Whatever.

The best way to compelte this mission, in my experience, is as follows. Play the mission and check where the assault shuttle (I think it is) comes out of hyperspace. Restart the mission and wait near there. As soon as it appears, let loose with your torpedos (or rockets if you can take them on that mission). You can nail it before anything is deployed.
 bloke
03-19-2003, 3:59 AM
she doesnt abort the mission, there is no message saying she ha aborted and there is no mission lost message as a result -she just gets in the hangar. this happens after the troopers are killed.
 Gold leader
03-19-2003, 6:04 AM
That happened to me too one or two times. Pay close attention to the time Aeron needs to complete her mission. The lack of an "failed mission" message is an annoying bug, there's nothing else to do but to restart the mission. The only thing you can do is to finish those troopers really fast (e.g. the way Keyan describes it).
 Keyan Farlander
03-19-2003, 12:41 PM
she doesnt abort the mission, there is no message saying she ha aborted and there is no mission lost message as a result -she just gets in the hangar. this happens after the troopers are killed.

I know there isn't. It's confusing, but it happens that way. Just try nailing the assault shuttle as soon as you see it, like I said. I think this mission is probably the biggest trouble spot in the game. Once you get past it, you should have a much easier time of it.
 spunkyboy01
05-25-2003, 10:01 PM
what mission is this one?,i don`t recall playing this one:biggs:
 MennoniteHobbit
05-27-2003, 1:09 PM
All you have to do is aim at the captain and try to taunt them into fighting you. In the meanwhile, let them kill you and lower your shields! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: ?
:rolleyes:
 MennoniteHobbit
05-27-2003, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by BattleDog
There are no cheats. As to acuracy, the lasers are right below the ccokpit and its a problem only you seem to have.

Yet a new 'stick. :confused:
\
SHUT UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Ikhnaton
05-27-2003, 9:44 PM
try to use your turrets to autofire on the Zero G troopers. if not, then just ram the hell out of them. one little guy isn't going to damage your shields too much. if you take care of the zero G troopers, you don't have to destroy the assault transport. if Aeron says she is aborting her mission, then hit H and then space to restart your mission. do it til you do it right. i just played the game all the way through again and had to replay certain levels quite a few times.
 base delta zero
03-18-2004, 9:48 PM
You know. I'd really hate to lead someone to this, but if you're realling having problems, why don't you just turn on 'Tour Invulnerable'?

I never really had any trouble with any of the missions. THe only one I found really screwed up was the first real Rebel mission..'cause something in the UCP kept destroying my damn ATR as soon as it left hyperspace. So I just had to make it invincable and I was good.

The game just takes patience. Lucas Arts and TG did a good job representing the SW universe, and made it realistic and canon as they could without making it impossible. It's not like most shooters or console games where a single X-Wing can take an ISD down without taking a hit..It just can't happen.

Another thing you may want to study up on is squadron tactics. For example. By targeting something, and pressing Shift-A, your squadron members will assist you in attacking said target. XWA came with a nice hotkey sheet..Just study it. And be patient.
 Andrй Friedrich
03-19-2004, 7:55 PM
I'm so late playing this game - that's what I thought half a year ago, but see, there are still "pilots" under way.

Hallo to all and to the last reply above!

To summarize it: sometimes bugs occur in XWA, but you can go around this or that way; sometimes it seems to be unplayable, but soon you find a way to make it left-handed; "joysticks" often give no reason for great joy, but you can hit any target...

Played all missions again, from easy to hard, and found only such missions annoying, where other ships (friends, neutrals) are doing nonsense and you sit alone and can't really save them (so it is a good advise to let sometimes wingmen waiting at home!!). Family missions a very easy, because with the YT-2000 you can challenge 96 different fighters with jedi-a.i. (except you must hurry up, but you need not to hurry up most of the time!!!), just by flying away (not too fast) and shooting them like ducks (1,00-1,43 clicks, near is more risk, but you can destroy faster), sitting in the turrets (automatic works bad this way).

Antans rescue is a good example: I let the Andrasta wait early in rendevous area! and fly alone - you need not to worry about it, and you have the hyperbuoys open later in both directions!!! I destroy first waves of fighters, but try to deactivate some, so get the time to deal with the galleons, the shuttle and so on. As I said, you need not to hurry up. You can identify first and destroy what you like, waiting this way for the imperial troops. The ties can be wiped out (see above) fleeing or standing at the buoy and jumping if necessary (coming back soon!). Star destroyers aren't difficult to destroy (with X-Wings or even z95), but with a YT-2000 you can fly around and let the turrets do the job (until shields are down and the ISD deactivated). Then, if all things are "erased" you can wake up the planetarien fighters by destroying the deactived around you, until all waves are gone. That is the time to rescue Antan... ok, there you must sit, but next fighters arrive short before docking is complete; if you hit any of them with some shots, they will evade, and you come free, so it's as you like to fight on risk (dogfighting) or to rush towards the buoy (coming back again!). At the end, you destroy the station (nothing overseen? 11655 points /4825 bonus /62 counted targets, some ties "lost" by friendly fire) and head back to rendevous point, where you can dock with Andrasta and/or give a "continue mission command" (Emon will fly to the fighting ground, but he comes back, soon...).

This is only one example, but you can win all missions in hard, with nothing left to destroy (points depending on how much your wingmen can steal)! Again, missions like "Defend the Liberty" are truly hard, because you can't do all things simultaneous, and you must be lucky in stopping the kamikaze (and in surviving, with rare time to land and repair).

Last words to the capital ships: the smaller ones are more dangerous, because they react faster and hit more precisely, but all are unable to survive a players attack (it needs lot of raids and lot of patience, but you can even destroy a SSD with an A-Wing (it needs 45 minutes until shields down and again 45 minutes for the hull). And the mission with the probes: I could destroy the engines of all ships (ok, for really all I did play easy, because there's simply too short of time for the destroyer in medium, and in hard, you get a problem with the ties), and "eat the fleet" from behind ship after ship, with all probes destroyed and no ties left. I write this, because - in my opinion - the capital ships are too weak somehow. Fighters should be faster, shields lower, and the big ones really frightening... (what can I buy with some 70000 points in "Rescue of Aeron"? Nothing).

Maybe we'll get a better, newer XWA?

One day, in this century?

In this universe?

Until this happens, I'll keep on playing XWA :)

:beam2:

Bhakar (alias A. F.)
Page: 1 of 1