Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Joystick config

Page: 1 of 1
 Firemann816
03-08-2003, 9:46 AM
I wrote a joystick cfg that can be dl'd by clients with a M$ Sidewinder and used.
I tried it and went back to the keyboard.
It isnt finished and considering how bad I sucled with it, I wont finish it, but its a start if anyone wants to use a joystick

Apparently the way ctrl-panel sees your joystick and calls button1 this and button 2 that, Lucas subtracts one.
SO
map your ctrl panel button one to button 0 on the cfg file and it'll work:

snippet follows:
//Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast Sample Joystick Config

//CONFIGURE CONTROLLER

set in_joystick 1 // Initializes game controller (joystick) input
set cl_run 1 // Turns always run ON
set freelook 1 // Turns freelook ON
set joy_threshold 0.285 // Sets joystick overall dead zone

// Stick Itself
bind UPARROW +forward // Joystick forward moves forward
bind DOWNARROW +back // Joystick back moves back
bind LEFTARROW +left // Joystick left moves left
bind RIGHTARROW +right // Joystick right moves right

// Ctrl Head
bind JOY0 "+attack" // Saber Slash
bind JOY1 "+movedown" // Crouch
bind JOY2 "force_throw" // Force Push //break out of Chokes
bind JOY3 "+moveup" // Jump

// Hat
bind JOY24 "+lookdown" // Hat up Looks down
bind JOY26 "+moveright" // Strafe Right
bind JOY25 "+lookup" // Hat Looks up
bind JOY27 "+moveleft" // Strafe Left

// Buttons on Base
bind JOY4 "+altattack" // Saber Throw
bind JOY5 "+force_grip" // Force Choke
bind JOY6 "saberAttackCycle" // Cycle Saber Styles
bind JOY7 "+force_grip" // Force Choke

//THROTTLE
bind JOY16 "+forward" // Move Forward
bind JOY17 "+back" // Move Backward

// RUDDER TWISTS
bind JOY18 "+moveleft"
bind JOY19 "+moveright"
bind JOY20 ""
bind JOY21 ""

//LOWER BUTTONS
bind JOY9 "force_pull" // Force Pull

echo "=================="
echo "Loading jojoystick.CFG"
echo "=================="

Copied it from raven and modified it for a Sidewinder Precision Pro, since their is no Game Profiler software for 2K if you have the stick and no drivers (my case)
name the file joystick.cfg
put it in the base dir, bring up the console and type
exec joystick.cfg

Firemann816
 TrentAbru
03-12-2003, 5:23 AM
Just to let you know about a sim experience. I used to use a USB intruder gamepad in JKO configig with the to allow dual control (eg "attack" = MOUSE1 or JOY1, are you with me?)

This is so I could play(mouse and keyboard) with my younger son (as dual control pad +keyb/mouse) against his older bro who would otherwise have wiped the floor with him. I noticed that the Logic 3 USB intruder (8 button) would allow Joy1 to be Joy1 thro to JOY 8 with no mod or renumbering. This worked in the retail and moded versions of JKO cos it just used generic windows pad drivers.

I recently acquired a pair of Thrustmaster Firestorm Dual analog 2 (12 button) gamepads which come with their own button mapping software. Installing this on pad my XP machine, yes I found that Joypad button 1 had become renumbered to JOY 0, 2 to JOY1 etc.

Very confusing at first, not least because the pad's own software starts numbering the pad buttons from the back (ie, nearest the user 1, forward number 2, back again number 3, forward number 4 and so on). Took a wee while to sort out the ergonomics of this compared to the old pad.

However, on my win 98SE machine, this did not happen. In short it seems this may be due to a combination of factors , whether dedicated drivers or generic drivers are usedas well as the version of Windows.

As you may gather from what I have said, this dual set up is easily configured cos the native control setup allows you to specify two controls for each action, one being a keystroke and the other being a gamepad/joystick button.

This is how to start the very young off at JKO, until they become adept enough to be able to use mouse and keyboard. Start ,em young! :ewok: :ewok: :ewok: :fett:
 TrentAbru
03-12-2003, 5:35 AM
PS

I know it is basically which you find easier to use, but I would have thought that using a gamepad would be much easier for JKO that using a joystick. What do users think?:fett:
 Firemann816
03-12-2003, 5:16 PM
I concur that the joystick is NOT the way to go after playing with it a little.
I wish i had bought a game pad instead.
I'm trying to map kick to one button instead of double tap space bar b/c I have beat my left thumb to death on the KB.
CTF is so damn addicting.
On the 98SE Logitech issue.
USB has been through many rewrites. I successfully use a Logi Wingman digital, and the Logi Profiler software on USB on Win2K/
Linux sees it fine when I'm up in Linux but you have to edit your own mapping text file, No Linux profiler software.
Anyway ensure your mobo bios is set to highest USB rev it supports, 2.x or better if there, and try Windows UPdate as my father in law finally got a USB dig camera to work after doing some device driver updates for the root hub.
I had a similar issue with my Asus mobo until I dl'd the VIA chipset drivers from their webpage, and it flies now.

I dont recommend the joystick config, but its here if anyone wants to try it.
I doubt you'll stick with it long term though.

Regards to all, see you in CTF land
Firemann816
|NooB|firemann816
Page: 1 of 1