Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Nightlight auditions - Beneath Monkey Island!

Page: 1 of 2
 MJ
02-13-2003, 10:28 AM
This is the thread to discuss the proposed 'Beneath Monkey Island'. You can post your auditions up here as well for the community to hear and comment on (if you're brave enough)!

If it turns out well, it might turn in to a regular occurance - I've got quite a long list of radio projects I'd like to get to. :)
 Darth Eggplant
02-13-2003, 11:26 AM
I will audition as a bleach bone skull
found on the shore of a beach, sssshhh...listen......

....wasn't that good? can I be dead man who tells no tale?

(honestly though, love the radio shows
but I have no talent that way.)
 The Adventurer
02-13-2003, 3:25 PM
Ugg, I tried doing some recordings of Guybrush and LeChuck, and let me tell you. They suxor the assor. My voice falls flat at the end of every sentence. I really wanted to be part of this but I suck.

Course I was holding back a bit because there are people in the house.
 Saxinthehall
02-13-2003, 8:23 PM
If I can get my computer working I think I might try out for the part of LeChuck. The worst that can happen is everyonce saying that I am terrible and then I curl up into a little ball and cry.
 tabacco
02-13-2003, 9:47 PM
When is the deadline for submissions?
 LizzleBizzle
02-14-2003, 12:01 AM
I would love to try out for the role of Carla...the swordmistress...but I don't know if I can gather up the courage!! I'll run a few takes and see how she sounds.
 MeddlingMonk
02-14-2003, 2:15 AM
Has anyone told Dominic?
 tabacco
02-14-2003, 3:41 AM
Yeah, seriously. He might be willing.

By the way, does anyone have any recommendations on a good microphone? I've been meaning to get one for awhile, and this finally gives me an excuse. I'm hoping to not spend a really large amount of money, since I don't have any :)
 MJ
02-14-2003, 9:56 AM
I don't think anyone has told Dominic, and I'm not sure if LucasArts would let him do the voices. If he would, it'd be great.

At the moment, auditions are going to be open for a while. I've got four people to cast, and a grand total of zero submissions. :(

I can't really recommend a microphone, sorry. But el cheepo ones generally don't give good sound.

And those being nervous - please, don't be. Send them to me, even if you think you sound bad. You might be surprised.
 Darth Eggplant
02-14-2003, 11:12 AM
hey I submitted my background scenery take I want to be an enviromental extra, did I get the part? I know pirates I saw Muppet Treasure Island.;)
 LiMP RABBiT
02-14-2003, 2:42 PM
I would audition if I had a microphone and/or talent.
 therealunno
02-14-2003, 7:17 PM
I'm a vocalist in a rock band, so I might as well try using my mic for something else. What file format would you like the auditions in?

Unno
 The Adventurer
02-14-2003, 8:04 PM
Originally posted by therealunno
I'm a vocalist in a rock band, so I might as well try using my mic for something else. What file format would you like the auditions in?

Unno

I'm sending mine in WAV.

8 when's the deadline? I need until Wendsday.
 Luau
02-15-2003, 3:00 PM
How can I post a wav or just send it via email?
 MJ
02-15-2003, 9:38 PM
You can do it in mp3 format or wav file. and I don't mind if you send it through e-mail or on the boards, as long as I get it. :)

You have until Wednesday, sure. I plan to keep the auditions open until I'm happy with the voices.

I've got eight auditions in my e-mail inbox at the moment. Going through them.

Biggest problem I have at the moment is recording quality. But these aren't the best speakers I have here, so I'm going to have to wait until I get home to pass judgement.

Regardless, I think I may have found a Guybrush.

Still no auditions for Carla! Any girls reading out there, send in your voices! Carla's edging towards being the star of the show, the way the script is going.
 therealunno
02-15-2003, 11:15 PM
Matt seemed to like my Guybrush. What do you all think about it?

http://bellsouthpwp.net/t/h/therealunno/guybrush.wav)

Unno
 73kn0ph463
02-16-2003, 3:12 AM
Ok, there's a few of them that will be put up. I have three of three characters I wish to audition as, though I'll only post up my best of each. I sent in, via e-mail, all ten (one extra) versions as my audition. However, the ones I'll provide here are going to be available for you all to get and listen to!

Guybrush Threepwood Audition (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/Guybrush%20Threepwood%20Audition%20-%20Best.mp3)

LeChuck Audition (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/LeChuck%20Audition%20-%20First%20Read.mp3)

DeCazador Audition (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/DeCazador%20Audition%20-%20Best.mp3)

DeCazador Audition with Evil Addatives (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/DeCazador%20Audition%20-%20Contains%20Evil%20Addatives.mp3)

AND LASTLY! For your listening pleasure... I mixed this just for the hell of it. (Low Rez version has been replaced with High Rez version)

Monkey Island Gone Wild (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/Monkey%20Island%20Gone%20Wild.mp3)

Enjoy... And lemme know what ya'll think. ;)

P.S. The Monkey Island Gone Wild is all my voice (not Murray), where I cover Guybrush, LeChuck AND a special guest... Telling you will ruin the sport. The BGM and Murray is all LucasArts though.
 mercatfat
02-16-2003, 3:20 AM
73kn0ph463-

When you focus like you did in the first bit of the MI Gone Wild clip, your Armato impression is great. You kind of drift off a bit now and then, like in your long-winded speech, but if you focus you're nearly dead-on. Good work.

Your clips run on Linux.
 mercatfat
02-16-2003, 6:27 PM
hello I am new to this thing of the computer but I saw its place and think of its things I am funny. I am not good in English, thus that in sorry, but I am mine here auditions of the voice for this project that you speak of presently. I am of Russian so please not make fun of me.

http://www.mixnmojo.com/mercatfat/russianbrush.wav)

this is being my audition for the man of Guybrush.

http://www.mixnmojo.com/mercatfat/lechuck.wav)

this is being my audition for pirate of scary lechuck.

http://www.mixnmojo.com/mercatfat/carla.wav)

this is being my audition for carla the pirate of women swords. i am male so as dumb american will be saying lol at its presence.

http://www.mixnmojo.com/mercatfat/decazador.wav)

as it is said on the russia mtv decazador arigato mr roboto. hahaha.

please thank you for my auditions and my liking of them I hope will be shared between us.
 MJ
02-16-2003, 6:34 PM
Hey there, 73! Welcome to the forums!

Still downloading your voice samples now. Your Guybrush and LeChuck are quite good, I'm going to have to give all these sound samples a good listen to when I get home, I've got a fair few good Guybrushes from different people now!

Your e-mail didn't make it to me. Perhaps it was too big, I'm not sure. I've got a 10MB limit on my e-mail account, I just had to empty all the saved auditions from it!

I STILL HAVE NOT RECIEVED ANY AUDITIONS FOR THE PART OF CARLA. COME ON, GIRLS!
 MJ
02-16-2003, 7:09 PM
You feeling okay, Mercatfat? Why does Guybrush have an evil demonic laugh?

I'm thinking that either your account has been hacked, or you're being a bit of a git. Either way, I'm not taking your audition seriously.

And I was under the impression you were American. Your location is Seattle, and although many people deny it, that is in America. :)
 mercatfat
02-16-2003, 7:22 PM
Hackd by Russian ^_^
 The Adventurer
02-17-2003, 1:08 AM
Ok I've finaly worked out who I'm going to adition for. My DeCazador entry will be of the way tomorow sometime. It took the ride home from work and some loud shouting to figure out how I'm going to do it. But I got it down I think.
 Sleeper
02-17-2003, 12:01 PM
When does the audition end?
and
When will one be able to listen to the auditions?
 MJ
02-18-2003, 2:41 AM
The audition ends when I get enough good voices to fill the parts - so at the moment, they're still open. Until I get ANY auditions for Carla, I'm not making a decision. Because without Carla, Beneath Monkey Island probably isn't going to work without some serious script retooling.

So auditions are still open, yes. But don't dawdle. :)
 Rikusho
02-21-2003, 8:53 AM
Is it too late to audition? Because if you have all the main characters I could do any that you need. I can do several different impersonations.
 MJ
02-21-2003, 5:26 PM
Nope, they're still open. I got a grand total of zero auditions for the role of Carla, which means I'm going to have to go back and rewrite parts of the script. Until then, auditions are still open.
 mercatfat
02-21-2003, 7:53 PM
Zero? I think not.
 MJ
02-23-2003, 6:57 AM
You being a jerk doesn't count
 QueZTone
02-23-2003, 7:49 PM
Originally posted by 73kn0ph463 - Posted comments throughout quote

Guybrush Threepwood Audition (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/Guybrush%20Threepwood%20Audition%20-%20Best.mp3)

Pretty good.

LeChuck Audition (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/LeChuck%20Audition%20-%20First%20Read.mp3)

You get him evil and heavy just at the end of the file.

DeCazador Audition (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/DeCazador%20Audition%20-%20Best.mp3)

You're holding back here, whispering like, why not give it the full?

DeCazador Audition with Evil Addatives (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/DeCazador%20Audition%20-%20Contains%20Evil%20Addatives.mp3)

same as above

Monkey Island Gone Wild (http://home.earthlink.net/~wsolsticela/Monkey%20Island%20Gone%20Wild.mp3)

Guybrush is really good here. You do the "slow down and say a few words doubtingly" a little bit too much though. While it really marks Guybrush you shouldnt do it too much. :)

LeChuck's really good here. And the Manny Calevera bit was nice too :)

I say you're a good Guybrush! :) I even think you sound like him when you introduce yourself in each file =]
 Gabez
02-24-2003, 6:44 AM
Monkey Island gone wild is one of the best fan made sound clips ever.
 Atalante
02-24-2003, 5:09 PM
ok... this is my entry as Carla....

i am german... that is the reason why it might sound a bit strange...(plus i used the first mic i found...which isnt necessarily the best one)

Carla-audition (http://www.schulseiten.de/lands/sounds/carla.mp3)
 MJ
02-24-2003, 8:03 PM
Atalante, I'm sorry, but your accent is way too strong to pass for Carla. :(

Because I've been unable to find a girl to play Carla, the script is now in the process of being changed. This could mean that the character of DeCazador will take Carla's place completely, and a couple more token pirates can join the crew as well. Or maybe Carla's role will change from a black female to a black male named Carl, the swordmaster for Jambalaya Island.

I'll update the main page with more casting news later this week.
 Gabez
02-25-2003, 5:57 AM
That’s a shame, I thought Atalante did very well indeed, and besides, I’ve always imagined the sword master to be German. :)

The idea for Carl sounds better than having DeCazador take over, I think.
 73kn0ph463
02-25-2003, 12:44 PM
I'm hoping to convince my girlfriend to do Carla's voice. So don't get rid of the original script just yet. She should be pretty good, though she doesn't think her voice is deep enough to be Carla. If it isn't, I told her I can put a filter to lower it without distortion. I've been perfecting my skills with Vegas Audio. Keep your finger's crossed.

As for my Guybrush, I talk like that naturally. LOL It just happens that my voice is very similar to the original actor's. Either case, I was sick all this weekend and couldn't do another session, something I'll be fixing in a bit today.

Keep your fingers crossed I get the part!
 Atalante
02-25-2003, 3:25 PM
hehe thats ok...it was fun trying
 tabacco
02-26-2003, 6:26 PM
Hooray, I finally got a mic, so I can try to audition. I could do Carla Monty Python style ;)

"I don't like spam!"
 MJ
02-27-2003, 6:49 PM
Okay, Tom, I'm awaiting her audition. I haven't destroyed the scripts yet, I've saved the originals. But they're slowly being converted from Carla to a Jamaican guy named Carl (if it's needed).
 Incredible_d
02-27-2003, 8:58 PM
I did two auditions and sent them to the e-mail address, but I'd also like to post them on the forums. How do you upload sounds onto the forums? When I post, I can't see any way to upload files.
 MJ
02-28-2003, 6:54 AM
I think that the other people are putting them on any webspace they had.

I got your audition, D. There was a very good DeCazador there. :)
 Blaze_Marley-Flamestrike
03-04-2003, 8:29 PM
(look how long it takes blaze to post replys) I want to audition so badly but (there is always a but :( ) i lost my mic (not that it worked in the first place) and i have no money to buy another one... I'm pretty good at voice over type suff if i do say so my self... oh well.... :(
 MJ
03-05-2003, 8:12 AM
The announcement of who got what parts is going to be made on Monday. And it's going to be a pretty hard decision, there's fierce competition for the part of Guybrush.

So you have until then.

Hey, look at this! First time a thread in the forum has gone over a page.

This is now officially the PAR-TAY THREAD! Let's never let this thread die! :D
 Incredible_d
03-05-2003, 6:23 PM
PARTY THREAD! LETS PARTY!
'Cause that's the way
Uh-huh, uh-huh!
We like it!
Uh-huh, uh-huh!
Chicken wings,
the chicken wings
We love it, we love it, we love it, we love it!
 DavrostheDaleck
03-06-2003, 1:52 AM
but it aint party without the churger burgers you gotta have the burgers and dont forget the dalecks it aint a party without them

(edit: stupid typos)
 MJ
03-07-2003, 5:25 AM
Speaking of typos, Daleks is spelt without the 'c' :(

I've got good news regarding a Nightlight project. I think. Maybe. I'll be making an announcement Monday, maybe Teusday. The same day I announce the cast for Beneath Monkey Island.
 DavrostheDaleck
03-07-2003, 4:08 PM
hmmm well guess im unique then arnt I? i have brought forth a new form or dalek! muahahahahahaha
 Incredible_d
03-07-2003, 10:21 PM
For a long time, I had no idea what a Dalek is. I thought you were saying Darlacc (some sort of Parody of the Star Wars "Sarlacc"). The suction cup joke would have still made sense. Also, I had no idea what the heck was the deal with Davros. I thought he was just a little robot clone of Number Two. Now I understand.
In any further Nightlight Product, you should have Davros pop up. Keep using Stanley's Dalek voice, I think it's funnier than the real Daleks.
Also, I want you in Australia to know to ignore the "I hate aussies thread." Don't think that most Americans are like that, in fact, you're pretty popular over here. See, apparently girls here think Australian guys are cute (ex: Heath Ledger) Now I wish I was an Australian guy.
 MJ
03-08-2003, 1:54 AM
I went to that git's website before I removed the URL. I get the impression that he's from the UK. :)

And yes, what you say about Australian guys is true. :D
 Incredible_d
03-08-2003, 6:05 PM
No no no, see, I'm a guy. The whole deal with Australian guys isn't MY idea. I just have to say something when we watch a Knight's Tale and the best looking girl in my class is licking her lips every time Heath comes onscreen. Same deal w/Guy Pearce and Hugh Jackman. Again, I wouldn't know.

I agree with Number Two that Daleks are cute... except that their way taller than I expected. I figured them for about waist high... Boy, was I wrong!

Now that you know what we think of you, what do you think of us? As I see it now, the world community isn't particularly fond of us Yanks.
 Sleeper
03-11-2003, 6:03 AM
So, is it time yet for the announcements?
Page: 1 of 2