Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Something that worries me

Page: 1 of 1
 RpTheHotrod
01-31-2003, 8:50 PM
Need a discussion on the best way to do this.

I'll be raising kids soon enough, but something worries me. I was raised in being the good kid and all, but my parents did poor in some areas, but it made me know what NOT to do with my kids...but...what about their entertainment growing up?

Back in my day, I was playing on a Commadore 64, playing WizBall with my older brother and other simple games. It was create, the computer was like a whole new world out there...but now, entertainment needs to be pushed and pushed, because people arn't happy with what they have anymore. My day : pong, topgun, Zorro, WizBall, Pitfall.... these days, Grand Theft Auto III, Doom III, Soldier of Fortune II, I don't want my kids being raised (at an early age, at least) on such realistic and violent games, before they can maturely handle them. (I think GTA:III went too far)

It was so simple back then, a few lines and WOW, it's a big at at and I can fly around...but it's so complicated now. Buy a kid a game, he wants another the next day....because it gets too "boring". I was having fun with 2 or 3 lines on a screen for months.

Raising kids in these days, it's a scary thought.

What's the best approach? I know how to if it was the same as when I was a kid, but everything is different now. Teens, they don't even LIVE at home anymore, except at midnight when they get back and go to sleep. I wouldn't have even imagined that when I was that young. At some point, it does cross the line, but where can you safely draw that line in these days?
 obi
01-31-2003, 9:36 PM
Entertainment is not what causes kid's minds to be corrupt. Let them play anything that you see is fine. :cool:

I mean, my parents got my stuff like BB guns. I think I turned out ok.

BTW, not all Teens stay out all night. I am 16. Are you aware of how much I venture outside my home or town(which is a small town, cannot possibly get into trouble here)? Maybe once in 3 months. Even when I do go out on my own, the worse thing I have ever done is mistakingly dropped a carton of eggs while I was grocery shopping for the family.
 daring dueler
01-31-2003, 9:51 PM
i agree...its alot of how you raise them with the morals you teach and not so much what they play ..sure it decencitizez them against violence but i dont think its too bad -im 14 and i hardly ever go out-by the way kinda off topic i like your mash avatar.
 RpTheHotrod
01-31-2003, 10:39 PM
Not only about how they will turn out..but...what about entertainment? For my brother and I, give us 1 computer game and we're happy...but I gotta buy my kids 50 million games per day to make them happy.
 C'jais
02-01-2003, 2:24 AM
Originally posted by RpTheHotrod
but I gotta buy my kids 50 million games per day to make them happy.

Why do you think this?

I've played JK2 since May, I've played Starcraft for 2 years. I've played Warcraft 2 for 2 years as well.

If your kids want new games, they should earn the money themselves - that'll teach them to dispose of everything so quickly.
 Luc Solar
02-01-2003, 2:28 AM
Yes... how to raise a kid without him/her turning into a greedy, cynical, selfish bastard? :(

Tough one.

Congrats, RpTheHotrod. :) I assume your gf is pregnant. :thumbsup:
 RpTheHotrod
02-01-2003, 2:35 AM
heh, well...no ;) but it's just coming to that age where it would happen soon. I'm a "get married first" kind of guy. ;)

Thanks though!
 vegietto
02-01-2003, 2:44 AM
i agree my dad make me get the money together with my own sweat that is how i get my stuff but do what u think is rite but a few games should satified them if it don't tough i mean they got to learn u can't have everything in the world if u could then they would have it all when they were born rite?
 Luc Solar
02-01-2003, 3:31 AM
Originally posted by RpTheHotrod
heh, well...no ;) but it's just coming to that age where it would happen soon. I'm a "get married first" kind of guy. ;)

Oh, okay. :)

But feel free to congratuate me :D

I found out yesterday that I'm about to be a father!
I guess I'll have to start a new thread about that once I get this whole "blissful confusion" sorted out. :)

OMG! ...that kid will pwn you all!! :D
 vegietto
02-01-2003, 3:33 AM
i bet u will be a great father luc solar a real good father
 RpTheHotrod
02-01-2003, 3:37 AM
Name him Luke and always remind him you're his father.

heh

what's the name gonna be?
 Luc Solar
02-01-2003, 4:10 AM
HA HA HA!

If it's a girl I'll name her Leia.

If it's a boy I'll name him Luke, R2D2 or Jar-Jar. I haven't made up my mind yet. Jar-Jar would be sooo cool..? :)

....yeah right! :rolleyes:

But you're right; the possibility of using uber-lame quotes from star wars movies is tempting... "Use the force Luke, use the force."

Hehehehe.. how cruel. :D

Don't know about the name yet, but I'll try to stay away from names that are "special, interesting and innovative". Those names usually spell "getting bullied at school".

I might want to have a bit of elvish somewhere in her name assuming it's a girl. But her first name will be something that you can say out loud without people immediately starting to laugh or make fun of.
A little kid might not have enough sense of humour to deal with constant jokes.

"Hey Bart - don't have a cow!"

Ha ................. ha ..................... ha.
 RpTheHotrod
02-01-2003, 4:13 AM
You're gonna make one, interesting father for that kid ;)
 Luc Solar
02-01-2003, 4:37 AM
Oh dear... :(

Poor kid. :disaprove

:D
 vegietto
02-01-2003, 4:48 AM
yes i do feel sorry for the kid he will be going crazy with u lol just kidding with u u will be a great father
 Lost Welshman
02-02-2003, 12:00 PM
I thought you had visions and stuff, that sounds entertaining. Im sorry. Get them an Xbox. And give them cool names like "Coin"
 C'jais
02-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Lost Welshman
Get them an Xbox.

By the time his children are born and raised to the point where they can safely use a console without killing themselves by chewing on the wires, the Xbox will be long replaced by a Playstation 47.
 greedo626
02-02-2003, 1:40 PM
get your kids interested in sports. I love to play games on my computer but if someone asks me if I want to go outside and play some football, I'm off in a flash. sports also help to keep young'ins in shape and not so overweight as a lot of kids are these days. another tip: encourage you kids to pursue things that interest them. I like martial arts, so I got a bo staff and a bokken and I'm outside practicing every day. it's fun. as you kids have fun playing sports of doing martial arts, you can teach them responsibility (so they do cut they're fingers off:p ). my biggest tip is to encourage whatever you child's interested in (unless it's something bad like torturing small animals:( ).
Page: 1 of 1