Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What is 'music'?

Page: 1 of 1
 Darklighter
01-29-2003, 8:36 PM
I've been becoming increasingly concerned about the publics perception of the definition of 'music'. After having my TV swamped with too many pop idol/music contests in the last year or so, I have realised that the situation has become so much more dire. Is there any new and original music being created out there? All I seem to see is the same stuff repeated over and over and over again, and given the label of 'music'. For me, 'Pop' is the worst kind of music ever, because there is nothing that comes out that we have not seen before.

I am just getting fed up with the fact that these celebrities with no real talent are earning so much money for singing along to a beat. Real music IMO is writing, playing and singing you're own music creatively. It seems that society really is uncreative lol

What's your view on good and bad music, and the perception of it from the public?
 RoguePhotonic
01-29-2003, 8:49 PM
Well it's not really about that it's what sounds good so if they make allot of money someone likes it lol
 Darklighter
01-30-2003, 11:16 AM
What I mean to say is that these so-called 'bands' are making tons of money for the same old stuff being released over and over again. People just buy it cos it's popular, hence the genre name 'pop'. Do you agree with this? Do you agree that these people should be earning so much money when there are so many more struggling artists desperately trying to get themselves known?
 leXX
01-30-2003, 11:56 AM
What it all boils down to at the end of the day is whether the song sounds good or not. Kids these days don't care if they wrote it or whether the band is manufactured, all they care about is if it's 'cool'. I agree with you Darky, so many covers out these days, no one has any real talent anymore.
 C'jais
01-30-2003, 12:42 PM
I'll listen to whatever sounds good to me.

The moment you start basing your music choices on whether the band wrote its own songs, has received divine inspiration or practices S/M, you're limiting yourself needlessly.

Whatever sounds good. Nothing more.
 Clemme w/Stick
01-31-2003, 5:14 PM
Well, the definition of Pop music is as follows.

Pop music, is music with no deeper meaning.

We all know that, since all the pop songs out there is about love and stuff like that. So it kinda makes sense then, right?

Well, I listen to rap music myself. Rap music, is your own lyrics, beats and stuff like that. That is often reflected by the lyrics, sometimes they make songs that has already been made, but then thats it. They dont make whole albums of songs, that has been made b4.

Take Nas' new album (God's Son) for example. Its an excellent example of his own songs and lyrics. The whole album is dedicated to his mom, who died. The track Dance, is soo k00 and moving. I simply love those lyrics.

That this make any sense at all??

-Clemme
 daring dueler
01-31-2003, 5:18 PM
i think music is a way to xpress ones felling towrds life and thing s in it -you see alot of good well thought out music in the 60's whhen vietnam could influence them i like some rap some rock some heavy metal and most hippi 60 music
 griff38
02-02-2003, 12:47 AM
When I was young I was picky about music I hated all pop music.
I used to break music down into as many catagories as possible but now I say there are only 2 kinds of music. The music you like and the music you dont like.

But I feel your pain about the uninspired rehashed boring drivel that is everywhere. Thats one of the prices we pay for living in Western culture. Mediocrity will beat individuals down every time.
 Bilbo Skywalker
02-02-2003, 2:09 PM
pop music literaly mean popular music, so anything that is topping the charts is 'pop' doesnt have to be manufactured bands.

i will enjoy a song if it either has a lyric/lyrics in it which i find to be touching, or i can associate with. Or if the song has a tune in it which has a certain melodic pattern in it, like say a set of certain chords, in a certain order, to me it wont matter if it is played on a distorted guitar, or was produced on a pc.

i wouldnt say i hate a complete genre of music, or a band, because there are bands out there that i may absolutely LOVE one of their songs, and detest the rest (ie coldplay).

i generally dont like rap music, but there are a few amazing songs out there in that genre that i love listening to.

i cant fully explain what music is to me. Anything, and i mean ANYTHING that i hear and just feel something twitch inside me, that to me is a good song / tune. It can be a melody, or an inflection on one word, but usually there is something in the song which will hit home with me.

hmm, that was a very confused post.

good topic though darky, music really is the most important thing to me, i guesss thats why i got my post really messed up tryin to explain it, hehe.

:wavey:
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 3:14 PM
Only genre worth listening and has talent to ME is Death/Black Metal Many would disagree but its just my opinion.
 vegietto
02-02-2003, 3:22 PM
i hate that pop crap i like rap, rnb, punk rock, heavy metal , + death metal. i don't think i could go on without my music to listen too. Pop is just stupid and it sounds really gay and i hate it so much
 __CKY__
02-02-2003, 3:32 PM
I Agree I think we should ban Pop it hurts my head.:D
 Skate Boy
02-02-2003, 4:18 PM
I odn't listen to a lot of new music, I like to stick with the Oldies. You can listen to an N'Sync song, then listen to another one and it sounds the same. The same thing applys with Punk. All their voices are the same! I can't stand Punk music. But, Listen to the Beatles "When I'm 64". Then "A day in the Life". Then "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite". All totaly different. Give me Oldies any day.
 Bilbo Skywalker
02-03-2003, 5:16 PM
Again i would like to point out that 'pop music' is short for popular music. Saying you 'hate' pop music but like rap etc is hypocritical, as rap is probably the most popular genre of music is the US.

:wavey:
 C'jais
02-03-2003, 5:20 PM
Originally posted by Bilbo Skywalker
Again i would like to point out that 'pop music' is short for popular music. Saying you 'hate' pop music but like rap etc is hypocritical, as rap is probably the most popular genre of music is the US.

True.

It's been said pop music is superficial because the song's content are mostly about love and nothing else.

Let me get this straight. I'm now hearing Eminem and his pals rap about how they're so great, how they always have sex with "hoes" and how it's so important to have a flashy car.

Curse me if that isn't hypocritical.
 Clemme w/Stick
02-04-2003, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by C'jais
True.

It's been said pop music is superficial because the song's content are mostly about love and nothing else.

Let me get this straight. I'm now hearing Eminem and his pals rap about how they're so great, how they always have sex with "hoes" and how it's so important to have a flashy car.

Curse me if that isn't hypocritical.

Hmm, you may be right 'Jais. I dont blame you for thinking that way, after all some of the guys thats hanging out with E&M have somewhat pretty disturbing lyrics.
Still I tend to enjoy those songs, because they doesnt seem to have any deeper thought in them (Maybe they do, I dont know). It makes them easier to follow (I tend to rap along when I hear the songs).

Hmm, lets not forget that Eminem once were like they are. He still is to some point, but in another way. His lyrics has changed. Take Loose yourself for example. I love that song, it has good lyrics and he doesnt seem as angry, as he was when The Marshall Mathers LP came out. The film 8 mile has a connection with his own youth, and IMO it makes him seem less bad or evil (Whichever you like).

Hmm, thats whats on my mind. I dont know if this were confusing or something. I hope that it cleared up some stuff about Em and his pals.

-Clemme
 ckcsaber
02-05-2003, 6:30 PM
I dont hate "pop" music. I hate what pop music has become. Sadly, I wasn't around when there were huge creative bursts in pop music in the 60's-80's. Thats when songs were original. By original I don't mean wether the band wrote it or not. I mean the song was made for people to really listen to, not made for profit.

The problem with today's pop music is that the industries have become too succesful. They made so much money, they think they can throw anything that the majority of their buyers like out into the market and it will make a lot of moolah. This was extremly true 3 years ago before PvP software really hit it big. Now sales are going down, but the industries have found other ways than buying albums to make money. We now have Music Videos. All of this is "spoiling" the decsion making of these companies and they are picking anything they think will "sell".
 Karsec
02-05-2003, 7:40 PM
I think we lost our view on true music many years ago.

Music used to be an art, now it's a slaughterhouse.
 Murdoch
02-06-2003, 6:51 PM
You know this was an interesting question. What is music?

I can't seem to find a good answer. I mean, you can't just have tones in no particular order or rythm. Randomly striking a C# on a piano.. would it be music? And when does it go from being just random sounds into what is conceived as music?

I guess a few distinctions can be made. All music, form the earliest tribal stuff up to today must follow a rhytm to make sense. Most music follow a harmony. Oh well.. i give up.

As for pop music i do agree that what's on the top 20 lists is generally just a product, unworthy of any attention. The problem is that they serve those that are not really interested in music. I mean, there are people that just want something to listen to and aren't too picky about it. It's perfect for them, they just need to flip on the radio or mtv and voila, easily available music that wont disturb or provoke them.

No point in throwing mud at them though. I think if you're really interested in music you need to put down alot of effort into it to find the gems. Go around on record sales, check out the not so commercial radio stations, go to concerts etc etc.

And last but not least, thank the lord for p2p. I don't care if the record execs will have to sell their condos. This is the way it should be. It will certainly lower the chances of artists becoming fabolously rich on their art.. but hey, i can live with that.
Page: 1 of 1