Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Information Control

Page: 1 of 1
 mercatfat
01-19-2003, 5:01 PM
http://asp-cyber.law.harvard.edu/filtering/list.html)

This here is a real-time created list of internet sites that China is blocking users of the country's internet from accessing. You'll notice many of them are organizations trying to make peace, such as Tibet.org, as well as places like Google whose Cache system is great for getting around filters. What do you guys think about this practice? I think it's a bit scary, but I understand the way the Chinese government is trying to keep its people from gaining knowledge that might lead them to do something darastic like rise up against them.
 Tyrion
01-19-2003, 7:09 PM
Well those sex sites I can certainly see why they're blocked..:p

But yeah,there's dictatorship for you...Need-to-know basis...
 BCanr2d2
01-20-2003, 8:17 AM
Mercatfat, the reason to ban tibet.org is obvious for the Chinese, like Taiwan, they fail to acknowledge that they are really seperate countries. China still believes these places to still be part of the PR of China.
I bet Israel probably doesn't really like any websites that refer to Palestine either.....
 ET Warrior
01-20-2003, 6:21 PM
Originally posted by BCanr2d2
Mercatfat, the reason to ban tibet.org is obvious for the Chinese, like Taiwan, they fail to acknowledge that they are really seperate countries. China still believes these places to still be part of the PR of China.
I bet Israel probably doesn't really like any websites that refer to Palestine either.....

The reasons may be obvious, but that gives them NO right to block the flow of information to the people. The US may be against having websites that promote terrorism or racism in the US, and i personally don't agree with those websites, but I should be able to look at them if I want to.
 mercatfat
01-21-2003, 1:50 AM
Thanks, you saved me a post there. I'm fully aware of why most of those sites are blocked, but I still don't think it's right.
 C'jais
01-21-2003, 6:19 AM
As the others, I can see why the Chinese government choose to do this.

But information control hopefully only exists in countries without the freedom of speech.
 Rogue_Ace
01-21-2003, 2:58 PM
Yeh its just another way for the chinese govt to control its citizens. A bunch of crap if you ask me.:rolleyes:
Page: 1 of 1