Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Droids,clones, and man's want to play God...

Page: 1 of 1
 Tyrion
01-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Do you think man will destroy itself for want for power? Can they create droids much like in A.I. who can think? Or droids from "I,Robot"? And can we really create armies of clones,who's sole purpose is to destroy? Are we going on a path which will destroy us all because of our will to play god and our greed?

I think we will,but that's because we're so screwed up because of politics and the media..

Also: The religious fighting and zealotism will also make this world screwed up because of all this conflict(note that I mostly mean the fanaticle ones which are a twisted version of the religion).
 Jed
01-12-2003, 1:11 PM
Yes and no.

Man will probably hurt itself in its want for power, and probably will reach the level of creating complete AI robots. Honda has already made a small humanoid robot, and statistics say that the average home in Japan will have at least 3 robots in them by 2015.

But anyone can make up statistics, 14% of people know that. :p

Seriously though, I doubt that robots or clones will be the self destruction of man. Politics will stop that, I'm sure of it. The problem is that man's want of power will eventually cause us to kill each other, period.
 Reborn Outcast
01-12-2003, 1:14 PM
Man can never creat something perfect. WE are the perfect machine and no matter how hard we try, we can't replicate ourselves in a machine. But we will be able make machines with the ability to do one specific thing excellently and that, if anything, will be our undoing.
 Tyrion
01-12-2003, 1:23 PM
Originally posted by Reborn Outcast
Man can never creat something perfect. WE are the perfect machine and no matter how hard we try, we can't replicate ourselves in a machine. But we will be able make machines with the ability to do one specific thing excellently and that, if anything, will be our undoing.

Actually,we are not the perfect machine. Our eyes are flawed,actually. Something happens inside them which shouldnt happen,which makes us blind in our old age.

That and why do we have tonsils and appendixes?
 Reborn Outcast
01-12-2003, 1:37 PM
But do you understand the concept. We cannot duplicate our feelings and how our brain works in a machine
 Tyrion
01-12-2003, 1:40 PM
But do you understand the concept. We cannot duplicate our feelings and how our brain works in a machine

true,but we dont need emotions for droids.

And clones come with emotions,too.
 Reborn Outcast
01-12-2003, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
true,but we dont need emotions for droids.

And thats exactly how they'll destroy us. With no emotion they won't have any regret or anger or hate. If we make droids for war then they could take over the world without so much as a twinge of regret from them.
 Tyrion
01-12-2003, 2:17 PM
And thats exactly how they'll destroy us. With no emotion they won't have any regret or anger or hate. If we make droids for war then they could take over the world without so much as a twinge of regret from them.

Same with us,really. Some of us have no emotion or regret,or have too much emotion in something,that they kill and bring harm to others.
 wassup
01-12-2003, 3:39 PM
I think man will eventually manage to destroy a majority of themselves, however, by then I think space travel and exploration would be well on its way. Many groups of people will attempt to flee from the fighting and chaos and perhaps meet a benevolent alien that shows us the ways of peace, and stop man's ridiculous wars.
 SupremePain
01-12-2003, 3:47 PM
i dont think that man kind will destroy itself with clones and droids... i think more a long the lines of war... people have to much need for power and revenge
as for droids, i dont think that that will ever hapend... a droid will never be able to think by itself... well not in our lifetime anyway
a droid is a machine it will there for be programmed so the droid wouldent realy be the one harming others it would more be the creator of the droid, becuase the droid will only do what it is told (programmed for) it will never be able to do what it wants becuase it does not have any needs or feelings
 Ratmjedi
01-12-2003, 8:18 PM
I do think that we are going to destroy ourselves later down the road. How is another intresting question. There are so many possibilities. We could create A.I. like there was in the Matrix and we are then going to be replaced by them. Or there is also that Nuclear threat. Someone is going to push the button on accident or on purpose and then everyone with a Nuke is going to retaliate and then we are going to have a nice Nuclear winter. We also can also accidently create a biological weapon beyond our wildest dreams and will wipe out each other slowly.

We never know when stuff like this is going to happen but it is going to happen eventually down the road of humanity. We also never know if we may recover from it and actually rebuild and repopulate.

Have you been watching the Terminator Movies or what sparked your though about this all?

:duel: :lsduel:
 Andy867
01-13-2003, 4:17 AM
Originally posted by wassup
I think man will eventually manage to destroy a majority of themselves, however, by then I think space travel and exploration would be well on its way. Many groups of people will attempt to flee from the fighting and chaos and perhaps meet a benevolent alien that shows us the ways of peace, and stop man's ridiculous wars.

Going off the idea of Star Trek: First Contact are ya? :D but its probably not far from the truth. We will probably have a 3rd World War in which a large majority of men and women will be killed, and the handful left of humans will work together to get off this condemned space rock and find someplace new to begin a fresh beginning.
 GonkH8er
01-13-2003, 4:23 AM
We'll have destroyed ourselves in a few hundred year if things keep going the way theyre going.

Think about it.. in 200 years we've gone from horse and carts to interplanetary transport and weapons that can take down half a country in the blink of an eye. We have no idea what we'll have in another 200 years. It's just scary.

but you're right about how it's going to end.

It'll either be a pathogen we have no immunity too and no cure. It will be fast, efficient, and terribly virulent.

Something with the contagiousness of the common cold but the pathogenicity of Ebola or Smallpox. Probably airborne.

Either manmade and it escapes, or a a biological attack gone wrong, or simply a natural mutation like all other viruses.

The other way would be an all out war, or simply 1 WMD that wipes out life as we know it.

I wish I was around to see it to see how humanity will end, but I also don't want to be around to see it. Our world is depressingly crap enough as it is. I can't stand to see it crumble any more.
 Andy867
01-13-2003, 4:41 AM
Originally posted by GonkH8er
Think about it.. in 200 years we've gone from horse and carts to interplanetary transport and weapons that can take down half a country in the blink of an eye. We have no idea what we'll have in another 200 years. It's just scary.

Actually, its been less time than that. Its been closer to only the past 150 years and if that. We've gone from ancestors only going 1200 miles in a lifetime to people traveling 12,000 miles within a year alone, and for people like me, I can do that in a month! We've gone from muskets and arrows to semi-automatic weapons. We know have machines that can compute millions of calculations in mere seconds. We can talk to people on the other side of the world in milliseconds. We have cell phones, pagers, and laptops.

We can travel to the moon and beyond, whereas back a hundred years ago, traveling to India was a big thing! We have ships that can cross oceans in days, maybe a week, where a trip across the Atlantic would take Months!

So in the next 150-200 years, we might not even be around, and if we are, there will be few of us due to human instinct to desire power.
 C'jais
01-13-2003, 3:37 PM
Mankind will have to reinvent their definition of life when it comes to AI and robots, soon enough.

What are the criteria for life? If a robot can reproduce itself, improve on itself, be self-conscious and reasonably intelligent, how is it any different from us?
If anyone have read Ghost in the Shell they'll know there's also the possibility of life that exists purely in cyberspace.

Another interesting take on robots, is the idea of Man fusing with machine. Artificial neurons. An intelligence that can exist in cyberspace. Nanotech "cells". A blurred line between machine and man. Immortality.

In general, to think that mankind is the end-all, the perfect lifeform, they'll be sorely mistaken in a few centuries.

Robots are the future. We are not.
 ninja
01-23-2003, 6:36 PM
the future is not far from now. and we already have robots that can kill. just remote control robots, but thinking for them selves is a realistic concept. just like a computer, when you turn it on it goes through its normal startup. it makes sure the screen icons show or what ever programs you have that work by itself once you activate it. and you give your computer commands and it follows through.
 Darth Groovy
01-26-2003, 5:50 AM
The world will be destroyed, but not by our hands. It has been prophesized in Revelations. Human cloning will never be a reality in this lifetime. We will be lucky if Theraputic cloning is not banned along with it.
 C'jais
01-26-2003, 6:28 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
The world will be destroyed, but not by our hands. It has been prophesized in Revelations.

Which revelations? That it's being written in a holy text makes it real? How?

Human cloning will never be a reality in this lifetime.

It already is. Whether a human clone has been born as the Raelians claim is irrelevant - there have already been practiced human cloning in experiments. It's a small step to simply carry the pregnancy to full term and give birth to the first clone. The problem is that not many are willing to receive all the ethical flak for doing just that.
 Reborn Outcast
01-26-2003, 9:04 AM
Wassup why did you steal my avatar. :)

And Cjais a clone may have the same DNA and stuff but read this article. (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/01/21/cloned.cat.ap/index.html) Its not very long. Whats to say taht won't happen to human clones also, making them not clones at all just being with the same DNA who don't act or even look the same.
 C'jais
01-26-2003, 9:36 AM
And Cjais a clone may have the same DNA and stuff but read this article. (http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/01/21/cloned.cat.ap/index.html) Its not very long. Whats to say taht won't happen to human clones also, making them not clones at all just being with the same DNA who don't act or even look the same.

I know that. That's what I've been trying to tell everyone in here for a long time.

A clones is not the same individual as the original.
 Reborn Outcast
01-26-2003, 1:46 PM
Oh ok sorry I misunderstood.
Page: 1 of 1