Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Must-have video game characteristics

Page: 1 of 1
 Sarah
01-10-2003, 12:58 AM
I really have to get this off my chest.

I really, honestly feel like every video game should allow the player to change the playable characters' clothes.

Examples: Animal Crossing, GTA III: Vice City, SSX Tricky, Hitman/Hitman 2. Grim Fandango, sort of.
Wholly uncoincidentally some of the best games out there. ;)

It doesnt take up much room to just put a couple of extra textures in there, and it's one more thing a player can do to keep them from hitting the power switch.

My question: Anyone else have any big ideas for must-have video game characteristics?
 mercatfat
01-10-2003, 1:14 AM
Most good games tend to have objects that are potentially deadly, but not necessarily guns. I count Animal Crossing's Axe and Shovel among this characteristic.

Other examples:

-Dynasty Warriors 3, any other Rot3K game made by Koei
-Contra
-Metroid anything
-Every RPG ever.
-Every game ever made, almost. Damn.

Customizibility is a huge plus for me. I love making clothes in Animal Crossing, if only so I can make everyone start wearing "WHOOMP There it is." shirts and "Members Only" jackets again. Blizzard's simple pack-in world editors are nice too. The Capcom vs SNK series has a nice customizable character color mode, which is fun for making people fight each other naked. Virtua Fighter 4 did three better with its item collecting/color/costume changing features. Simply put, I like to be able to make the game again.
 Boba Rhett
01-10-2003, 4:09 AM
I really wish that more games had a, "play left handed" option.
 mercatfat
01-10-2003, 3:58 PM
Like for what, Dead or Alive 3? BMX XXX?
 Metallus
01-10-2003, 5:20 PM
I really like it when games let you browse the soundtrack, like in Cool Spot for the Genny and SNES. If I remember correctly, you could listen to both sound effects and the soundtrack music.
 Thrik
01-10-2003, 6:00 PM
I used to spend ridiculous amounts of time listening to the jukebox "cheats" in old RareWare games.
 Sarah
01-10-2003, 6:19 PM
Ooh, yes, browsing the music is a good one too. That's exactly the sort of thing I was talking about.

Stuff that barely takes up much space or effort, but keeps me from wanting to turn the game off and walk away.

Mini games don't hurt either, although I can't think of many examples. I'm told by someone or other that Shenmue 2 has them.
 mercatfat
01-10-2003, 6:43 PM
Shenmue and Shenmue 2 both had a good variety of Minigames.. Shenmue had Sega arcade classics Space Harrier and Hang-On as well as some fun 'press the button when indicated' games and darts. There was even the ability to post your scores online, thanks to the Dreamcast's modem. I used to be the Darts champion. What wild times those were.

Shenmue 2 added some kickass gambling games and 2 more arcade classics, Outrun and Afterburner 2. Also, after you've played the games, you can play them without having to find the arcade and spend your game money.

That's another good characteristic in games.. classic games. They're quite old now, so why not? Animal Crossing has a bunch including Zelda, Mario and Wario's Woods; Metroid Prime has Metroid (if connected to a completed copy of Fusion); Donkey Kong 64 had Donkey Kong and Jet Pac; Zelda: The Wind Waker will give you Zelda 64 and the 'rearrange' version, Ura Zelda, if you reserve.. yeah.
 BooJaka
01-11-2003, 8:44 AM
A talker thing where you could have a picture of a character and click on a phrase and they'll say it. That'd be cool
 Feral
01-11-2003, 9:05 AM
Being able to give your character a catchphrase (e.g. "Good Gravy!")
Oh, and the best example for a game with mini-games within it is Sam & Max, god bless it.
 Faith
01-13-2003, 9:10 AM
Soundtrack ones a good one... tony hakes has that and its got some brilliant songs on it...

like goldfinger - superman

also if u cud do this on monkey island three i wud listen to it alot!
 Sarah
01-16-2003, 1:30 AM
I must ressurect this thread by saying that I think that, um, Goldfinger come los bolas de mono. Which is Spanish for "I do not care for Goldfinger."
 BooJaka
01-16-2003, 11:16 AM
Ash did a song called Goldfinger. That was pretty good.
 Rogue Nine
01-26-2003, 5:29 AM
I'd like it if RPGs gave you the option of choosing which party member should be the protagonist's love interest. Something I've been irked on since FFVII. Not only the option, but appropriate cutscenes, storylines and endings. Now that would kick ass.
 scabb
01-29-2003, 2:26 PM
One of my favourite game features is the ability to 'get everything' after you have completed the game - eg Spyro the Dragon and Pokemon.

Also, it would be really good to see some 'Easter Eggs' on games - Making of Documentaries, Hidden Picture Galleries etc.
Page: 1 of 1