Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Naboo Falls - EPII

Page: 1 of 1
 seks03
12-12-2002, 8:23 PM
heres an early preview of preview of my second map its another EPII based map.

http://www.inflictions.com/bin/nf/preview1.jpg)
 Padawan_7
12-13-2002, 2:55 AM
Cool seks! How big will this map be? Obviously you can't make it as big as it appeared in the film, but I still think it would be nice for it to be relatively big and spacious.

Just some suggestions of the top of my head...1.) it would be really cool to see some good rocket launcher action in there ;) and 2.) it would be nice to maybe have a cave behind one of the waterfalls.

Oh yeah, by the way, I figured out exactly why your Tusken Camp map is not mod compatible. You packaged the shader file "sabers.shader" into the pk3. Your map does not use that file in any way and when removed it becomes mod compatible. You maybe didn't realize this at the time or maybe this was just an oversight but you packaged a lot of shaders that did not need to be. You should only package shaders that are both custom made and used in the map.

I hope this helps out some. Keep us posted. :)

Padawan_7
 Anakin
12-13-2002, 5:03 AM
Great work- we will be looking at this project very closely :)

Anakin
 Shadriss
12-13-2002, 6:56 AM
INtyeresting Idea. Hope it does well. If you need a good Naboo Skybox, ,you may consider taking ahard look at the one used by myself and WhiteShdw in the DOTF V2 map... of course, If you've already made one, ,then dont worry about it.
 Khaza
12-13-2002, 6:03 PM
WOW!
Great, can't wait to see this map :)
Just remember to use those vertigons (grass, bushes...) and it will look more realistic.
 Wes Marrakesh
12-14-2002, 4:30 PM
looks good and very FPS-consuming.
 seks03
12-15-2002, 2:16 AM
thanks guys here a preview of how its coming along

http://www.inflictions.com/bin/nf/preview2.jpg)

Ill try that thing with the cave padawan_7.
 Lord Tnuc
12-15-2002, 3:22 AM
Perhaps behind the waterfalls...there is a tunnel. The tunnel could lead to a branching tunnnel, that leads to different sniper points around the area. Maybe a possibilty?
 Klorel
12-15-2002, 9:16 PM
Looking good. I'd add some more hilly terrain in the open area, maybe a couple larger boulders and some plants just to give it more of a natury feel. Maybe add some big poofy clouds in your skybox like they have in the movie clip from your first screenshot.

Perhaps (if this is possible) if you moved a boulder with the force or something then you would reveal a hole in the ground that led to the underground network of caves and tunnels which also happens to connect tot he waterfall.

Maybe also a button somewhere that make a bolt of lightning strike someone in the level or something? I just enjoy built in weapons that can hurt others in the level, like death chambers and such... maybe a whirlpool somewhere?

just some ideas to toy with.

-Klorel
 wedge2211
12-15-2002, 9:21 PM
Don't overdo it. There is some coolness inherent in big open area anyways. :)
 Elijah
12-16-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh
looks good and very FPS-consuming.
My thoughts exactly...

Let us know the FPS you get in that level and on what Card.
 Emon
12-16-2002, 5:40 PM
It's waaaay too curvy. Those islands and that beach line can but cut in half or less for poly count and look just as good. There's no point in having lots of high poly stuff if it doesn't run well.

Also, remember that the lower number of polys you have per thing, the more things you can have.
 seks03
12-17-2002, 7:21 PM
hi guys, Ive been working on the map alot, making some real good progress, As for the FPS im getting 45-89 with a Geforce 3 ti 200, @800x600 res. right now im trying to find a way to make the fog look a little bit more random instead if a box. and i decided to to make some caves behind the falls. well i write another up date soon
 Khaza
12-18-2002, 2:24 AM
If you are talking about fog around the falls you might want to try alternative solution: Particle Studio (http://www.quake3stuff.com/freebrief/asp/contents.asp?sect=q3a).
Yes particles :D and they workin MP too, actually they are just shaders but if you have good sprites you can get very nice results. Also I would love to see some grass like in original game, there is little help file for vertigons at "Tools" file if you are interested.
 seks03
01-01-2003, 11:33 PM
well guys sorry that I havent updated lately, but I have come up w/ some real problems, namely:

1. no good way to make the water falls
2. Need to make grass that looks like the movie
3. the water on top of the mountain gets crop marks aross it

so if anyone wants to help or take over this map just let me know, Im going to start on a easier map design. sorry guys I took on more then I could handle.
 wedge2211
01-03-2003, 12:42 PM
THere is a yavin_waterfall texture that is basically fast-moving water. Unfortunately, it's that ugly swampy brown color.
 Yun the Sith
01-03-2003, 7:15 PM
Not bad looking, I like it.
 seks03
01-03-2003, 7:37 PM
i tryed that yavin water but it was toooo dirty looking, i tried making the water upright but it dosent look right.,

hey scout, im sending you the address for a zip of thr grass photos and the .map file, check your PM
 Emon
01-04-2003, 3:24 AM
You're best off making your own shader with a custom texture. The actual waterfall geometry should be a curving shape. It should start out being a small distance from the rock walls and when it hits the bottom, should be large distance from the wall. It should look like a triangle, but should be arced. If you've ever played F.A.K.K.2., you know some of the really cool water you can do on the Q3 engine.
 Wudan
01-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Emon never ceases to amaze. What Q3 Engine game haven't you played?
 Emon
01-05-2003, 2:28 PM
The EF expansion is the only thing I haven't played. The RtCW expansion I do plan on playing, though.
 Wudan
01-06-2003, 11:00 AM
You mean the splashdamage one? Definitely worth a play. The very best of Quake3 enging modding - lumped together on one production like that - very awesome. I can't wait.

I'm confused - I thought it would be a standalone product, because of engine modifications. It is cool that they are only going to have one executeable that will run SP and MP.
 Emon
01-06-2003, 9:36 PM
Splashdamage? I thought there was an offical expansion.
Page: 1 of 1