Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Shenmue 2 & movie

Page: 1 of 1
 JofaGuht
11-08-2002, 3:40 PM
I just recently got shenmue 2 for xbox. I loved the first. (I know those of you in the UK got shenmue 2 on dreamcast like a year ago) I'm already hooked. Very cool game with the new (very cool) rpg technology the first one introduced us to.

But there's more. The director of the first Shenmue decided to take out specific parts of the game and re-edited them and theatrically released it in Japan. and the DVD for it came with Shenmue 2. It's pretty cool, though I think they should have added a few more scenes from the first one, as well as taken some out.
 JofaGuht
11-22-2002, 1:12 AM
I just beat the second one. Pretty cool. I am waiting for the third. Its no longer the unoriginal revenge story it was in the first, its all monsters and mirrors and apocalypse and supernatural and stuff. Pretty cool. You gotta play, but play the first before the second, or just watch the movie. :)
 mercatfat
11-22-2002, 1:25 AM
Yeah.. I played through the game on the Dreamcast this summer and was taken aback by how great it was. I'd go so far as to say it's my favorite action/RPGish/adventure ever.
 JofaGuht
11-23-2002, 11:50 PM
it would be my favorite too is it wasn't for bad dubbing, but the sequel they re-lip it for english.

Also, have you heard of any of these other Yu Suzuki rpg/adventure games called Out Run and Hang On? I'd love to get a hold of these.
 Vyse
12-14-2002, 7:26 PM
Visit the local arcade. :guiness:
 mercatfat
12-14-2002, 8:24 PM
Heh. Out Run, Hang-On, Space Harrier and Hang-On are classic Yu Suzuki arcade games. Out Run and Hang On are racers, After Burner and Space Harrier are both shooters.

I liked the Japanese dub of Shenmue 2.. it's a shame they removed it completely.
 JofaGuht
12-14-2002, 11:42 PM
oh, yeah, i remember those games now. One of the good things about Shenmue 2 is, unlike the first, they did the mouth animation again so it would fit english.
 Mex
12-30-2002, 8:27 AM
I played ShenMue 1, it was quite funny when you have to go to work, that was my favorite bit!

And in the arcade when you get to play games, heh, those were the days.......

Until I broke my DreamCast! :eek:
 mercatfat
01-09-2003, 6:21 PM
It's a damn shame they didn't give you the option to switch to the Japanese dub. It's incredible, almost Metal Gear Solid calibur.
 Metallus
02-01-2003, 11:28 PM
I just beat Shenmue 2 over the weekend (I'd been playing it off and on for the past month). Great stuff! I'm really impressed at what this game was able to pull off. It was able to combine elements of the action, adventure, RPG, and fighting genres, and the end result was a real treat. My only criticism is with the quality of the voice acting. However, a lot of games have pretty bad voice acting, but the Shenmue games have twice the challenge because they have to translate everything from Japanese and have it make sense. Did they re-sync the mouth movements with the english dialogue? I thought that was pretty well-matched.

I'm going to be following the progress of Shenmue 3 for sure. I've heard some conflicting stuff so far, about how Yu Suzuki wanted to make the third installment into a CGI movie, rather than a game, and wrap the whole series up in that installment (suck!!!). But in a more recent quote, he said that fans can expect future shenmue games on the Xbox. So, who knows? I'm sold.
 JofaGuht
02-02-2003, 8:41 PM
Yes, they did re-sync it for the second one. If you play the first one, you can see how horrible the dubbing is. That would be truly horrible if they turned it into a CGI movie, but doubtful from what I heard so far. But I heard that there is a lot of manga going on to "fill in the blanks" for Shenmue. I don't know about much else. I don't know what the main site is, but a fansite I get a lot of info from is

www.shenmuedojo.com)
 Vyse
02-03-2003, 8:39 PM
Shenmue is really something I wish would have come out when I was like 12 because it would have been so great. I play this game now and think of all the countless hours of gaming when you're still in awe of everything. If we get two more we will be really lucky.
 Darklighter
02-04-2003, 12:19 PM
I loved the Shenmue games, never finished the second one though lol. I only played through the first game one or two time, because it doesn't hold much lasting appeal. Though as a whole series of games, it is very fun to play. I'm looking forward to a possible release of Shenmue 3 in the UK, and hope they get round to have american actors doing the voices (like the first game...the voices were japanese in the second).
Page: 1 of 1