Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why is the music in most commercials...lame?

Page: 1 of 1
 Rogue15
11-03-2002, 4:30 PM
They never play newer music, why do they always play older stuff? It annoys the heck out of me.

:atat: :atat: :atat: :atat:
 obi
11-04-2002, 10:20 PM
Well, commercials suck anyways, except for the one when the dog runs into the red parked car.

That is hilarious :D
 Pedro The Hutt
11-06-2002, 9:50 AM
They should stop commercials alltogether bwahaha! :D
 BeastMaster
11-06-2002, 9:34 PM
:shads2:

The only really good commercials were the half-hour ones they used to have in the 80s.

*transforms and rolls out*
 Kylilin
11-07-2002, 1:34 PM
I hate commercials, but, they do keep the networks up and running, so I'll take the good with the bad.

by the way Beastie...
*transforms and rolls out*
...boy that takes me back a few years
 BeastMaster
11-08-2002, 3:08 PM
Takes you back?

You say that as if Transformers has been gone. ;)

G1, G2, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, R.i.D., Armada, The War Within, G1 reissues. . .

And that's not even counting the Japan-only lines (Victory, Masterforce, Zone, Beast Wars Neo, etc).
 Rogue15
11-08-2002, 4:11 PM
I love beast wars!!! I used to watch it alot, but then fox or wb (forget which channel it was on) cancelled it or something. I liked the raptor. :)
 Hannibal
11-08-2002, 4:36 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
They never play newer music, why do they always play older stuff? It annoys the heck out of me.

:atat: :atat: :atat: :atat:

They are trying to get that baby boomer money.

If you notice younger products use newer music. Mountain Dew for instance. They are trying to appeal to a younger generation.

The commercials I hate are the ones where they don't show or mention the product. I just sit there thinking "Who idea was this? and who approved it?" It used to happen more in the 80s.
 BeastMaster
11-08-2002, 8:09 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
I love beast wars!!! I used to watch it alot, but then fox or wb (forget which channel it was on) cancelled it or something. I liked the raptor. :)

BW finished. It was replaced by (i.e., it led into) Beast Machines, which was not quite as widely liked. Don't know why really; I loved BM (yeah, the plots were repetitive, but it made sense in the context).

Dinobot was indeed cool. Personally I preferred Tigerhawk though; just because he was such a badass. :cool:

VIOLENCE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!!
Now stand still so I can blow you up.
 Pedro The Hutt
11-09-2002, 5:28 PM
I liked the original more. Or even better.. THE movie ^_^
 BeastMaster
11-11-2002, 9:24 PM
:maize:

Meh. TF:TM was okay from an animation perspective, but it didn't really jive with the TV series.

I mean, in the show we saw robots getting bashed to pieces and easily repaired. It was established that TFs could take a lot more damage than humans. Then the movie comes along with a veritable death-fest, slaughtering off legions of fan-favourite characters, most of them with single shots.

Heck, Brawn croaked after getting hit in the shoulder. The shoulder!

And the 20-year gap in the narrative didn't help either.

Then came the Beast Wars, with intricate character arcs (The Maximals' transformation from a half-assed scout crew to a battle-hardened family), romance (SilverBolt/BlackArachnia, Tigatron/Airrazor), treachery (BA shooting her lover in cold blood, Tarantulas' blackmail), pathos (Dinobot's struggle with his Destiny, Tigatron/Airrazor's tear-jerking "death"), and heroic sacrifice (Dinobot's final decision, Tigerhawk's final duel with Megatron, Depth Charge and Rampage meeting their destiny. . .).

Heck, we had a transforming velociraptor who pondered existential philosophy (and later, a transforming motorcycle who quoted James Dean :shads2: ).

The question that once haunted my being has been answered. The future. . . is not fixed. My choices are my own. And yet, how ironic, I now find that I have no choice at all. . .
I am a Warrior.
Let the battle be joined.--Dinobot ("Code of Hero")

"Megatron is gone! What're you rebelling against?"
"What d'ya got?"--Cheetor & Thrust
 GonkH8er
12-22-2002, 11:04 AM
My dad used to write the music for TV and radio ads....

You're all lucky... :)
 Hannibal
12-23-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by GonkH8er
My dad used to write the music for TV and radio ads....

A pox on your family for it's leader's treachery.;)
 GonkH8er
12-25-2002, 5:31 AM
He's hardly what I'd call a leader, or a role model.

He's more of an..... overprotective, arrogant, self centered, picky, balding a-hole.

Not that there's any family hostility here or anything... :)

He just writes crap music for film and tv... and gets payed a lot by stupid americans and canadians...

Stop paying him! Maybe he'll stop writing it....
 edlib
01-19-2003, 12:21 PM
Actually, the use of old music in commercials has a bit to do with the familiarity factor, but often a lot more to do with cheapness, copyright laws, and music publishing practices.
It's a usually lot cheaper to use an older song and recording than it is to use a newer one, and most music publishing contracts specify that the songwriters lose control over how thier song is used after a certain amout of time. It's a clause called "fair use" and basically it says as long as I am willing to pay what the music publishers are asking I can use thier song in any way I want. The writers can fight it, but since they get a residual payment for each and every time the song is played anywhere, they usually don't argue that hard against it.
Then most record companies are more than willing to see and old recording that isn't moving much anymore to get new life in a commercial, so it's cheaper to hire an old song that isn't getting much radio play or moving much product. Although, many times the recording that is used for an ad isn't the original recording at all, but a newly recorded, almost exact soundalike, since that is sometimes cheaper than paying the record companies and the original performers for use of the record.

At least that's what I seem to remember of my "Legal Aspects Of The Music Business" class I had to take in college. :rolleyes:
 Hannibal
01-21-2003, 9:35 AM
Also boneheads like Moby sell their music for commercials.

His music is in every other commercial. When you go to one of his shows you leave wanting to buy a car.
 Kylilin
01-21-2003, 10:04 AM
Moby gets so ultra-rich from those commercial songs, because he's the only person who can give permission to use them, the record company has no say in the matter, I guess it was a nice little clause that made it into his record contract somehow. But I say good for him, take'em for every penny they'll give ya'.
Page: 1 of 1