Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Is it just me...

Page: 1 of 1
 Rebornyas
10-28-2002, 6:40 PM
...or do we lack assortment in models?

I think it would be cool, if a very skilled model artist with some time on his/her hands were to create a pack of models and default skins of female/males using an assortment of hairstyles/gear, other than there being only Lucasarts-made models to choose from.

I've noticed (being a skinner) that most of the default skins have at least one special feature that cannot be erased, removed, or cut off (For instance, Kyle's bangs, Jan's ponytail, Morgan's mustache).

Now, I don't want to be one of those people who toss months of work into someones lap, but I know that it would be greatly appreciated by for skinners that don't know jack about modelling (for instance, me.)

Here's a list of what I think would be nice to have:

Male model, no hair.
Male model, medium length hair.
Male model, shoulder length hair (long in the back, but just kind of parted on top or something.)

Female model, no hair (Weird, I know, but great for ninja models, sci-fi characters, etc.)
Female model, short hair.
Female model, bobish (about chin length).
Female model, shoulder length hair.

I can't imagine these being hard to produce, seeing as none of these generic model ideas have hair too long that it would have to sway with movement, or avoid clipping with torso.

Just my two cents, I'm sure I'm not the only one with these ideas. I mean, we can always wait for someone to make a new model for a skin that we can use, after asking for permission, but it's an awful hard wait.

Think about it, elite model artists, and thank's for taking time to read my post.:mrt:
 Matt-Liell
10-28-2002, 6:44 PM
what about weapons? need some of those?
 Rebornyas
10-28-2002, 6:56 PM
Yeah, but there's no such thing as a *generic* weapon. Each weapon has it's own design, while there are no other versions of the human anatomy :)
 Madjai
10-28-2002, 7:30 PM
yea making player models is kinda hard and requires a large amount of time, so most likely a person wont spend their time on this idea when im sure theyve got their own.
 Sniper Wolf
10-28-2002, 7:35 PM
This would be an excellent idea. Perhaps if someone made a generic human and just did the different hair styles, then people could use alpha channels to do different features on the body. The sad thing now is that since models are so detailed, even if you do a great skin, the model will always look like the same model. Take for instance, the Jan model. People have tried to do Mara Jade, Leia and Amidala, but they all looked like Jan Orrs, just dressed up like these certain characters. I hope you can understand what I am saying.
 Matt-Liell
10-28-2002, 8:14 PM
i do, no matter what u do u still recognize jan no matter who she is supossed to be!
 KMan
10-28-2002, 8:26 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a request. I'm going to move it to the request forum where it is better suited.
 Rebornyas
10-28-2002, 8:28 PM
Well, it's more of an idea than a request. I just figured more modellers would hang out here.

But, move it if you want to.
 Rebornyas
10-29-2002, 8:06 PM
I guess my idea was tossed aside to die, just like all my other ones...

oh well....
 Tuck
11-17-2002, 4:48 PM
*Bump*

Great idea.
Page: 1 of 1