Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

conveyor belt problem again

Page: 1 of 1
 brand66
10-27-2002, 1:51 AM
ok here is the situation

if i set the conveyor belt to go "down" i can't climb up it i keep getting swept down to the next screen...

if i set the conveyor belt to go "up" i can walk up it but cant walk back down it when the chain is there...

so im pretty much stuck...

could someone please email me a save game after they have completed the chain puzzle please

brandnewday66@hotmail.com
 MeddlingMonk
10-27-2002, 10:02 PM
You don't need to get on the belt at all until you lower the chain, and if you have the belt running downwards before doing that the chain will be pulled along the entire length of the belt...which means that when Manny climbs down onto the belt he can walk normally on the chain.
 brand66
10-28-2002, 11:55 PM
yes, but i can't even climb up the belt to lower the chain if it is set to "down" manny just gets picked up and swept off to the next screen.

i can climb up if the conveyor is set to "up" but then i can't climb down again with the chain there...

so basically its impossible for me to solve this puzzle even though i know exactly what im supposed to do.

does anyone know what causes this problem?? would it help if i tried this on a different computer??
 MeddlingMonk
10-30-2002, 1:03 AM
The point is, you don't have to ever climb onto the belt before lowering the chain. All you really need to do is to stay the hell away from the belt (apart from flipping the switch when you first get to the island) until you escape from the vault with Meche. At that point you get to the crane from dry land. Then, you move to the other side of the island and lower the chain. If you flipped the switch at the belt first thing, then when you lower the chain it will be pulled along the entire length of the belt. When Manny climbs down to the belt, he simply walks on top of the chain and is unaffected by the belt.

Just remember that before doing anything else at the island that you go to the belt and flip the switch. Then stay away from the belt until the PLOT brings you to it.

This problem is caused by the speed of the computer. If you're processor is, say, a 700 MHz PIII or slower, the belt isn't much of a problem (though you need a bit of 'twitch' to get off the belt the closer you get to 700 MHz). Above 700 MHz it gets impossible. There's no frame limiting going on (as in the case of the wine-cellar elevator after the patch is installed).

The trouble with giving you a saved game is the order of certain tasks at the island isn't fixed. You can raise the LaMancha before or after freeing Meche.
 tonofbasel
11-06-2002, 12:15 PM
Hi

I am replaying grim fandango, and am also suffering from the converyor belt error, I had this problem the first time I played it 3 years ago..I overcame the problem by playing it on an older computer, but as I do not have that computer anymore..I am pretty stuck..so could someone please send me a grimfandango save game after that point..under sausage_roll_factory@hotmail.com

Now as I said I have already completed this game hence I know what happens so any save game after that point (beginning of year 4) would be appreciated..thanks a lot
 MeddlingMonk
11-08-2002, 1:51 AM
Read my previous post. All the answers are there (plus the ambiguity involved in requesting a saved game.
 tonofbasel
11-08-2002, 4:01 AM
The problem is that I cannot do anything else but lower the chain...as I have freed merche and done everything else one can do on the island..e.g. find coral breakers..and I must lower the chain from the top of the belt, then climb down the belt to pull the switch to make it all work, I know this as mentioned I have completeted the game before...but as I cannot walk down the belt without getting swept back up to the top of the screen when the chain is down...*manny holding onto the chain, even though he shouldnt*, hence I cannot proceed further in the game no matter what I do, and as I do not have another save game from the beginning of the year or any point earlier any more, I might as well just give up completely and get rid of the game...which is a pity as grim fandango is such an enjoyable game, hence could somebody please possible send me a save game after that point

thank you
 MeddlingMonk
11-09-2002, 5:28 PM
When I get home I can send you a saved game now that I know that Meche is freed.

The best way around the belt problem is to flip the switch beside it before you do anything else at the island...but there's no way to know that if it's your first time playing.
Page: 1 of 1