Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Start Points

Page: 1 of 1
 Pallas Athena
10-21-2002, 2:25 AM
Greetings Beings,

I'm still dang pissed off that I can't get into the beta form, been trying for months. No one will answer my e-mails to why the form keeps coming up blank.

Well, thats not even why I'm writing, so pay me no mind, just ranting.

We have been going over the FAQs. We have a few questions:

1) There are eight planets. Is it true that in the begining we can only start on four of them? The FAQs are not clear on this. Can we start from ANY of the eight?

2) How will we get from planet to planet until we can fly ourselves? Are we going to be planet bound for a year? Imperial Taxi?

Thanks,

Pallas Athena
Rancors R US
 Ewok Hunter
10-21-2002, 3:22 AM
first of all
Welcome to the SWiG forums
1) no idea, pretty sure you can choose all 8...
2)from what i understand you'll have to pay NPCs to travel between planets until the space expansion. don't know exactly how it works but there was something about hireing people like ben was in ep.4...
 Jan Gaarni
10-21-2002, 4:04 AM
1) The starting points for the initial release are:

Coronet, Corellia
Tyrena, Corellia
Moenia, Naboo
Theed, Naboo
Bestine, Tatooine
Mos Eisley, Tatooine
Mos Espa, Tatooine

As you can see, there are 7 starting points so far, divided between 3 planets. This list will most likely grow as the game progresses and new planets are introduced. There may yet be more starting points at the initial release if they decide to put in more planets.

2)There will be a public transport service operating between many of the planets and moons, such as Corellia, Talus, Tatooine, Naboo, and it's moon Rori. These would be the most obviouse ones that had regular interstellar shuttles going between them.

NOTE: What I'm about to say now may be one of 2 solutions, and neither may be correct!

Lok I'm not too sure of since all anyone really knows about it is what is said on the official site. There may be a shuttle service going to it too, but most likely you will need to hire an NPC to take you there.

The same will need to be done for the remainding planet and moons, Yavin IV, Dathomir, and the Sanctuary Moon orbiting Endor.

The other solution would be that there are a public transportation system operating between ALL planets, but less frequently to the last mentioned planets and moons. This means you better prepare to be on that planet for some time, so if you go to Dathomir, be sure to be packed well with weapons, and preferably accomponied by someone else. :p

As the Space Expansion comes out, atleast the NPC public transport system will be available, though I'm not too sure of the other, as PC's will take over that part, and more and more might take to the skies themselfs anyway. But the Public Transportation Service still needs to operate between the first mentioned planets and the moon for all those that are beginners to the game. :)
 Dengar
10-21-2002, 5:00 AM
some nice vid clips of the transports taking off/landing on SWG Stratics website Stratics (http://swg.stratics.com)

:beam2:
 Pallas Athena
10-21-2002, 11:46 AM
Yavin IV and Dathomir are on the other side of the galaxy. They are guarded to boot. I do not believe they will have pubic transport to them.

) The starting points for the initial release are:

Coronet, Corellia
Tyrena, Corellia
Moenia, Naboo
Theed, Naboo
Bestine, Tatooine
Mos Eisley, Tatooine
Mos Espa, Tatooine

This is how we read it also. I just wanted to make sure others saw it this way too.

Thanks,

Pallas Athena
Rancors R Us
 Jan Gaarni
10-21-2002, 4:36 PM
Yavin IV and Dathomir are on the other side of the galaxy. They are guarded to boot. I do not believe they will have pubic transport to them.
Neither do I, and same goes for the Sanctuary Moon and maybe even Lok.

However, while I was typing I realized something, that if you hire a NPC, it would mean that that NPC would have to stick around, otherwise you would be stuck there.
The problem is how to solve it, will the NPC stay on the surface? What if it get's attacked? Can it be destroyed? What if this, what if that ....
What if you get killed, will it continue to stay there? Or will it leave? Or reset back where it came from?
Or will it simply leave after a set amount of time?

All these questions started popping up in my head as I typed, and that's why I added the possible solution of rare, but atleast regulary transportation too and from the planet(s)/moons. There's only one question that comes to mind with this system, and that is: How big a chance is there for the transport to get too and from the planet alive? :)
Compared to the hiring system, it has the lowest number of questions following it. ;)

So it all depends on how easy they want to do it. :D

I'd prefer the hiring system with risks. Closer to the truth.
 Wraith 8
10-21-2002, 6:04 PM
welll i think ill take Theed
oh and:

Welcome to
SWGalaxies.Net

*Gives a large box full of small, chocolate covered gnorts (http://www.swgalaxies.net/images/screenshots/gnort.jpg).*)

Hope to see you around some more.

-Wraith 8-

P.S. i know a lot of people on the Rogue Squadron forums who are from Rochester i think :D
 Jan Gaarni
10-21-2002, 6:28 PM
P.S. i know a lot of people on the Rogue Squadron forums who are from Rochester i think :D
In that case, if you are a complete wackjob, then you should stop by there often. :p You'll find plenty of fellow wackos there. :D

Hehe, I KIDD, I KIDD. :D :D :D
 Wraith 8
10-22-2002, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni

In that case, if you are a complete wackjob, then you should stop by there often. :p You'll find plenty of fellow wackos there. :D

Hehe, I KIDD, I KIDD. :D :D :D what? i take it as a compliment :D
 Pallas Athena
10-23-2002, 3:27 AM
Come to find out that all eight planets WILL be open at the git go. You can only start off form three.

You are most likely thinking of Rochester NEW YORK. Which is 1000s of miles away from my one eopie town.

Am Im only one of the few wackos around here :-)
 Jan Gaarni
10-23-2002, 5:57 AM

There's 9 planet thus far, but who's counting. :D

Anyway, another thing about interstellar travel is, that once you enter hyperspace, it WILL take some time before you get where you are heading. the time it takes varies depending from where you start and where you are going. If you are going from Naboo to Rori, which isn't that long a distance considering Rori is one of Naboos moons, I guess it won't take longer than a couple of minutes, you won't even engage hyperdrive.
But if you're going from Endor to Tatooine, be prepared for some long travel times. Possibly up to 15 minutes. ;) I kidd U not.
 Wraith 8
10-23-2002, 10:37 AM
uhmmmmm im reading the FAQ at this moment at it sais this:

2.08 How will I manage space travel between planets before the space expansion is released?

Players will have access to public transports that will shuttle them between planets. For a given leg of interplanetary travel, the answer is between 3 and 5 minutes or so. Of course, some trips take multiple legs. For intra-planetary travel, if a planet has more than one spaceport, it's a minute or less. As far as what to do, we hope to have mini-games drawn from the continuity that you can play while en route.
 Jan Gaarni
10-23-2002, 12:08 PM
See? :D

Prepare for 15 minutes travels, gentlemen. ;)
 Jitzu
10-23-2002, 3:03 PM
Hey! Du er Norsk ikke sant din stygge jжvel!!

neida jeg bare kшdda!
 Jan Gaarni
10-25-2002, 4:53 AM
Nei, jeg bare skreiv inn et land som jeg likte navnet pе. :D
 Kiedo
10-25-2002, 12:58 PM
Say wha? :confused:

EDIT: Spam spam spam spam
 Jitzu
10-25-2002, 1:11 PM
Oh, don't mind Gaarni, hes just crazy.
 Wraith 8
10-30-2002, 5:47 PM
on topic
 Gaelin Masek
11-10-2002, 8:26 AM
"you starth the game seeing asn Imperial Customs officer. The Officer will ask you for yours name and race that's where you can tweak your appearence... the officer will then ask what your profession is. This is where you can choose either a basic template or more advanced customization. The officer will then ask which planet you want to do to, and you'll board a shuttle."

If this was any use, great. It it wasn't, hey it gave my fingers some exercise.
 swediot=)
11-23-2002, 12:28 AM
att det ska finnas Normдnn hцr gеr det inte att fе bort er pе nеtt sдtt:confused:
 swediot=)
11-23-2002, 12:30 AM
gaarnie isnt crazy im afraid its way worse the basterd is norweigan
 swediot=)
11-23-2002, 12:34 AM
only joking

just a litle neighbour country rivalry
 Wraith 8
11-23-2002, 6:56 AM
you could have put that all in one post you know.
 Jan Gaarni
11-23-2002, 7:10 AM
:D

Yes, have you ever heard how to get a one-armed Swede down from a flagpole?
You wave at him. :wavey:

And this is just for fun, we Skandinavians joke alot around with eachothers. :D

Anyway, back on topic:
New info on how intergalactic travel will be handeled have been revealed, and it seems rather dull to be honest. :(

No longer will you have to wait for your transport along with other fellow travelers going to the same planet as you, but a mutual transport, no matter which planet you are headed for. The exact timetable I don't know, but I reckon it will be frequent.

You go to a datapad, buy your ticket, and wait at the spaceport. Then you board it and a loading screen will appear.
That's right, no more games can be played, either single player or against others, while travelling to the next planet. Even the possibility to walk around the ship is definatly out (although this one I've never had much hope in seing anyway :) ).
The only thing that will remain the same is the time it takes between planets. Planets further away will take longer to get to. That's the criteria: how far apart the planets will be, not how detailed the world is, will determine the travel time. :)

The good news is that this is only temporary solution until the Space Expansion comes out. :D
Page: 1 of 1