Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Crashes before game can load

Page: 1 of 1
 megumi
10-20-2002, 10:44 PM
I have an AMD Athlon 1 gig processor, 256 megs of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 4MX 420, and a Soundblaster Audigy. Win98 SE. I've installed the 1.01 patch and I'm running DX 8.1. I updated all hardware drivers within the last week.

I've gotten Grim to install (I've tried the minimun and full install), but once I try to start the game the screen goes black and then crashes back to my desktop. I normally run my desktop at 1024x768 @32bit color, but I've also tried turning that down to 640x480 @ 16bit color. I've tries launching the game from the game launcher, from grimfandango.exe and from the CD itself. I've uninstalled the game and tried running both the base demo and the full demo. I get the same sort of crashing (black screen then back to my desktop).

I installed DX 6 (as a last resort). That didn't work, so I reinstalled DX 8.1. I've run DX diag since then, and it shows no problems.

I have no other computer problems. Everything's been working fine. Any suggestions or advice is very welcome.
 Tall Guy
10-21-2002, 4:09 PM
you seem to have tried everything i would have suggested but i would check the following thread as scabb had what seems like a similar problem. take a look at what bgbennyboy has to say about it...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78760)

hope this helps ;)
 MeddlingMonk
10-25-2002, 12:14 AM
I would be interested in knowing what programs are running in the background.
 megumi
10-30-2002, 4:56 PM
only stuff I have running in the background when I try launching would be systray and explorer. I tried moslo a few times, but I couldn't find a non-dos based version, and Grim won't launch from DOS.
 MeddlingMonk
11-01-2002, 12:00 AM
I don't think you're suffering from a speed problem.

What about your video drivers? Are you using the generic Detonator drivers? If so, what version are you on?
 megumi
11-01-2002, 2:12 PM
I guess I'm using Detonator drivers. I got them from the Nvidia site. I'm running v.30.82 (07-16-2002) which are the newest drivers they have.
 MeddlingMonk
11-05-2002, 1:08 AM
This is all very strange. It looks as if there's no reason why the game shouldn't be running. You could try contacting LEC tech support but I doubt they'd have any miracle cure.

I supppose you are sure you're running Win98? Not as stupid a question as you might think; I've encountered plenty of people who are a little vague on the subject even to the extent of people with Macs identifying their OS as Windows 95. Besides which, this all sounds a little like GF on Win2k behaviour. Even if it is Win98, and even if this is the only apparent problem, I have to wonder if there's something screwy in the OS.
Page: 1 of 1