Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mission Briefing Cutscenes? PDA?

Page: 1 of 1
 Katarn07
10-20-2002, 4:29 PM
In DF, a screen shows the text Jan briefs Kyle with prior to the level. Are you going to implement that into the PDA (the data pad Kyle carries, accessed by the F1 key in DF, M key in JO)? And between missions, will there be a cutscene of Jan actually briefing Kyle or just somehow have those old menus in DF?

This sounds like a question that may already be in the FAQ, but I can't access it right now, so sorry if it is...
 Alex_P47
10-20-2002, 8:55 PM
ick - more work.
 Darth_Linux
10-21-2002, 11:18 AM
I'm thinking of a way to implement that by replacing the "Force Powers" information on the Datapad.

Remember, this is not a Total Conversion - everything will not be EXACTLY like Dark Forces - it's a MOD. So we are adapting Jedi Outcast to capture the gameplay and spirit of DF, but some things will be changed in their presentation - this is one of them. I'll try my best to get all the data displayed in a coherant form but it won't be just like DF did it.
 Katarn07
10-21-2002, 5:09 PM
I saw a picture of the PDA screen for the mod (or for what I thought it was for the mod) and it looked like the old one. I guess you can replace force powers with the FULL briefing and mission Jan gave you prior to the level. (Unless someone cheats to enable force, then you'll have a problem). Does anyone know what PDA stands for? Is it in the DF manual which I never owned (a friend gave me a copy a five years ago minus box and manual.
 Darth_Linux
10-22-2002, 2:16 AM
Personal Data Assistant.
 michael_collins
10-22-2002, 2:05 PM
Keep it the way it is cos if it as you say, a total conversion, then why change something as important as a briefing? also, its more time effective, u dont have to spend time coding it and stuff like that
 michael_collins
10-22-2002, 2:08 PM
Actually, belay my post lol, i misread the topic *embarrasment on my part, is there a smiley for that ??*
:explode:
 Skovdaddy
10-22-2002, 9:40 PM
If you could get someone that sounds kind of like Jan maybe you could recorder her reading the briefing then play her talking while having cameras show strategic parts of the level(they did this alot in the perfect dark cutscenes). This would be really cool if you could get a Jan narrator but if she doesn't sound alot like Jan this probably wouldn't be a very good idea.
 Alex_P47
10-23-2002, 2:09 PM
Only one problem - need a woman first:(
lol
 Katarn07
10-23-2002, 4:58 PM
I remember there are a few MotS levels with voices, and Jan sounds like Jan from DF and JO (not JK). Same with I think a Kyle... Her talking to Kyle would make it cooler, but only if it sounds like her.
 JEDI OUTCAST
10-23-2002, 5:07 PM
i thing he has a point. can someone post me a pic of jan in df.:D
 Katarn07
10-24-2002, 5:12 PM
That PDA looks really neat. I see you had to rearrange some buttons from the standard JO version. Will you be able to do that to the HUD before demo release? I see in the updates that the health and shields still aren't side by side in your new DF HUD display.
 The_One
10-25-2002, 5:08 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
That PDA looks really neat. I see you had to rearrange some buttons from the standard JO version. Will you be able to do that to the HUD before demo release? I see in the updates that the health and shields still aren't side by side in your new DF HUD display.

As you probably know, the HUD we have there at the moment is the original Dark Forces one. In order to implement this properly we would have to change the positions of the numbers and things. Unfortunately, this is hard coded and impossible to change until the WLS code is in better shape and ready to use. So, for the purposes of the demo (which is a proper SP mod) we have opted to make a "HUD Hybrid" - basically the graphics for this work around the numbers we already have to work with, but has a DF feel to it. You can see a screenshot of the left side of this HUD hybrid in the misc screenshots section on the site. Though, the design has completely changed since then - hopfeully in a week or so we can show you some screenshots with the final HUD hybrid :)

Did that make sense? I mentioned it in a news post ages ago - may have been when we were still at TGU though...
 Katarn07
10-25-2002, 5:03 PM
I don't know anythin about editing, but understand without the proper scripting codes you are restricted in what to do with the mod. Can't wait to see the updated HUD.
Page: 1 of 1