Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Sounds...

Page: 1 of 1
 Temujin
09-23-2002, 5:25 PM
Why are sounds and music only 25% completed. Can't you just convert the sounds from DF easily? I mean, I wanna hear the same *CRACK* of my fist slamming into a stromtroopers face. Hehe... I wanna see some fist cracking, stromtrooper sceaming action as found in the original DF.
 Alex_P47
09-23-2002, 5:32 PM
not sound guy but I think DF converts them into special (old)types of sound files. Also we may want the sounds to be higher quality than in DF.
 Darth_Linux
09-23-2002, 7:04 PM
the reason why is because it takes quite a bit of time to go through 400 sound files and figure out what they need to be renamed to so that JO uses them automatically. of course that leaves a lot of unused sounds that have to be integrated in some other (for cutscenes etc.) and that requires coming up with a new name convention so people understand where they should go in the resources pak, and so on.

music is a whole other ball game because the original music files have to closely examined and transitional parts have to be created and then coded . . . all in all it's quite a bit of work. The 25% is just the stuff that was dead simple to get done in a hurry, like blaster sounds and so on.

The quality of the sound will remain at 8bit 11khz because we aren't going to redo 400 sounds from scratch . .
 TIMMAY
09-24-2002, 8:16 AM
Originally posted by Temujin
I wanna hear the same *CRACK* of my fist slamming into a stromtroopers face.

This isn't sound related but is it possible to make it so the fist does absolutely nothing to StormTroopers except ignore them? Or are you just going to stick to DF where you can bash thru their armour :p
 Darth_Linux
09-24-2002, 1:28 PM
from my tests, the fists don't do anything to stormies by default, so I don't think we'll change them.
 TIMMAY
09-24-2002, 6:57 PM
Sweet! :D I can still imagine someone that if you dont tell anyone that punching wont kill them that someon will bepuching stormies for ages wondering why they wont die :p
 michael_collins
09-27-2002, 11:39 AM
but it will do damage to say.....a gran, right ? i mean if it doesnt then you are in a pickle in the space yacht level tryin to take down kell dragons, btw, whos modelin em?
 Katarn07
10-05-2002, 10:19 AM
Will you redo the end credit music, like adding in the Dark Forces "Theme" and stuff? You are using some of the original music, right?
 MilesTeg
10-05-2002, 10:51 AM
Look up at the first thread: FAQ

Weґll convert all midis to mp3s using studio quality equipment. So there wonґt be any JO music in the game, everything will be DarkForces :D
 Katarn07
10-05-2002, 5:14 PM
Sorry about that I didn't see the FAQ then. Will you be using the Stormtrooper "taunts" from DF or JO? I would prefer DF. Where can you go wrong with such lines as "Stop Rebel Scum!!!", wherears JO's was rather pathetic, "Let's see some ID!". If a guy breaks in and kills some of your men, why would you care to see who he is.
 Alex_P47
10-05-2002, 6:48 PM
yeah in JO by the time he says ID his head is cut off.
lol
 txa1265
10-08-2002, 3:11 PM
What about using the Mac version sounds?

I know that the graphics on my Mac disk are much better than my DOS version, and so too seem the sounds ... but that is qualitative.

Any ideas? I couldn't find anything?

Mike

BTW - I'm pumped for this! I am one of the (seemingly) few people who is (1) old enough to have been around for Dark Forces when it came out and fulfilled that stormie-blasting desire I'd had for more than 15 years ... and (2) thought that the first few levels of JO were reminiscent of DF rather than 'boring and slow' ...
 Darth_Linux
10-08-2002, 5:09 PM
if the Mac sounds are a higher quality than 8bit mono (and what isn't?) then we could use them, but you must extract them all to windows .wav format (NOT voc) and put them in an archive and i can make arrangements for you to upload. Otherwise, we are just using the ones that came with the Windoze version.
 Katarn07
10-08-2002, 5:17 PM
I know the scrolling text in DF had a differently orchestrated theme. So did the end credits. Is it because of the poor sound, or just redone like that? If it was redone to sound like that, can you put in JO's? (Hey, that's the REAL song from the movies).
 Skovdaddy
10-08-2002, 6:05 PM
I think the music didn't sound very good because your probably didn't have a very good sound card at the time. Dark Forces music files are MIDI files, which sound horrible on lower-end sound cards and alot better on more expensive ones. Playing DF on my SB Live using SB16 emulation made the music sound fine, just like the movie.
 Katarn07
10-08-2002, 7:07 PM
I got a custom-built PC a year and a half ago and I am pretty sure I have a SB Live sound card. I know I do have a Nvida TNT2 3D card, but that definetely won't help out to DF. I may be wrong about my sound card. My friend is going to help me upgrade my PC possibly, but I do not know if I can afford all the parts (Pentium 4, new 3D card, new Sound Card, more memory, and RAM). This will help JO play out a lot better than it does now. But as for that music, I'm still not sure. Oh well, I actually changed my mind about that. Forget that post I made earlier (like the makers would pay any attention to it)...
 Darth_Linux
10-09-2002, 2:19 AM
the game music is an entirely different issue from sound, and is answered quite thoroughly in the FAQ.
Page: 1 of 1