Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What about physics and accuracy?

Page: 1 of 1
 I.M.H.D.
09-21-2002, 9:00 PM
Hey, guys, I was just wondering what you were going to do about the differences in physics and enemy A.I. in the original Dark Forces. Jumping physics especially are important-- in Jedi Outcast, it takes a while to get up speed, where as in Dark Forces, hitting the shift button and pressing foreward means that you are instantly going as fast as you can. Many of the jumps in Dark Forces depend on this. The falling physics are also quite different in Dark Forces, and jumps are both higher and longer than in Jedi Outcast. There is also the fact that running tended to be much faster in Dark Forces. Can you actually edit the physics in Jedi Outcast enough to simulate the original experience? The other important thing to consider is the enemy A.I.-- Dark Forces could have huge numbers of enemies not simply because sprites are easier to manipulate (although this is true), but because the enemies were considerebly easier. If you play Dark Forces, you will note that almost NOBODY can hit you with their first shot; and if you're running, you're pretty much safe. Also, enemies tend to wander around for a little bit in between shots. Will you edit the A.I.s to make them truer to the original game? Thanks-- I'm interested in this because I tried to convert the Secret Base Dark Forces level to a Jedi Knight level, got as far as the textruing (which looked really good), and discovered that the differences in physics and enemy A.I. made the game pretty much unplayable. So your input would be very much appreciated, Mod Team! Thank You!:cool:
 Darth_Linux
09-21-2002, 11:54 PM
I'm kind of in favor of leaving the physics and enemy AI as they appear in Jedi Outcast. You can edit some of the physics like amount of gravity, but you'll never get the "feel" correct so I don't think it's even worth trying - you'll mess things up and the purists still won't be happy . . .
 Alex_P47
09-22-2002, 11:26 PM
darth - this may be a problem. Some of the jumps in my lvl(robotics) prob cant be done by forceless kyle from JO

I can always shorten the distance i guess
 Darth_Linux
09-23-2002, 11:31 AM
or we could adjust the gravity or cl_speed or z_yaw values so he naturally goes a little higher or faster or farther . . . let's make the map to scale first, and then adjust the physics to make those types of issues workable, rather than try and use features that shouldn't be in the game.
 I.M.H.D.
09-23-2002, 3:52 PM
Thanks! All I really wanted was to make sure you guys were thinking about these issues... the game could be REALLY tough if you've got a billion smart stormtroopers bearing down on you, or if you miss a jump because you don't have room to get up to speed. My conscience is satisfied now...
 Jeff 42
09-30-2002, 11:31 PM
I wonder about these issues too. Another thing is that the stormtrooper rifle in DF is a much more effective weapon than the stormtrooper rifle in JO, which is practically useless in many situations. If these factors aren't modified the game could be nearly impossible.
 Katarn07
10-07-2002, 7:15 PM
"The Force is strong with Katarn..." -Darth Vader, Dark Forces

You can make Kyle jump a little higher and further, as well as run a bit faster. He obviously has the Force with him, but only Rahn, Morgan and Vader know it. Kyle can't "control" his powers, so these are the only abilities he can use.
 Alex_P47
10-09-2002, 2:32 PM
I dont think at the time DF was made they forsaw that they would make kyle a jedi.not sure. anyone know for sure?

Yes, Kyle does jump a large amount further in DF but I think they minimized his forceless jump in JK to leave room for the force jump.

anyone else think the forceless jump in JO is pitifull?
 Katarn07
10-09-2002, 6:05 PM
But that was the line that did indeed inspire the story for the sequel (Did you know in DF you were supposed to play as Luke with a lightsaber and force powers, but they ran into story clashes and lack of resources... It's TRUE, check out Kyle Katarn's databank entry at StarWars. com!!!) They still wanted to implement the Jedi idea into their game, so they added Vader's line in there so it could back up the possible sequel. That possiblity became a reality with DFII.
Page: 1 of 1