Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Important Question

Page: 1 of 1
 MJ
09-03-2002, 9:46 PM
I need thoughts for the release of Tierra de los Muertos: would you rather have it in CD case style (i.e. small and square) or in a DVD case style (tall and rectangle)

Benefits of the CD style: It's the standard. It's what you'd expect

Benefits of the DVD style: Gives more room for artwork, and is technically easier to get printed out. But there is the fact that it isn't really what you'd expect for an audio CD. It could be confusing, but it'd sure as hell stand out though.

Start voting in the survey. And whatever the result is, it will set the standards for Nightlight Productions yet to come (so that they all line up nicely for you. :))

Majority rules.
 Crocodilic
09-04-2002, 8:12 AM
The DVD would own. People in general will be collecting shelves full of DVD cases now so it's not as much as a problem with 'compatibility' with CD cases.

It does depends on my DVD case however. The mechanics of the disc holder can be really good or terrible. Please don't get one where it is easy to snap your CD in half <grumble> The best sort are the ones which you push down and it pops out. Im considering writing a review of DVD cases cos im so sad. Also the Pinchers that hold notes in and stuff are crappy and you end up jabbing the manual into one of the notches on the otherside. But this may not be a problem for this.
 Tall Guy
09-04-2002, 8:34 AM
would it add anything to the price if it was in a dvd pack?! if not then i'd go for the dvd
 MJ
09-04-2002, 9:22 AM
The DVD style case makes it slightly cheaper, I believe.

And you're typing to someone who two months ago, managed to snap an X-Files DVD thanks to the pain in the ass Alcatraz style case. Believe me, it won't be in ones like those.
 Crocodilic
09-04-2002, 1:55 PM
Strange really you're first thought would be a CD case would be cheaper. But the DVD case would be made as 1 part and doesnt been 3different bits like a CD case. You also get the added benifit that you wont snap the case or make the teeth that hold the CD fall out. But I did have a DVD case with a bad hinge. The front of the box is about to fall off. Make sure you get a good Hinge too!!
 Darth Eggplant
09-05-2002, 2:15 AM
:jawa so far I am the voice of
not agreement, or discent.
(spelling wrong for sure)

(A) being behind the times,
I did not know that cd's and dvd's had different cases:D

and

(B) since I am not going to be designing the artwork:eek:
it does not matter so much to me how the art is displayed.
*just so long as it isn't freakishly colourful eh 8? LOL*
 Tall Guy
09-05-2002, 5:05 AM
dvd ones are longish, hardish, betterish ones..ish
 Sanspoof
09-05-2002, 2:25 PM
You're selling it??? But it's for download here! I think it's a good idea to sell it, but won't people get pretty mad if they find they went out and bought it, checked out the Grim Fandango forums and found out they could get it for free? Or is there an advantage to buying the CD?

And I think you should go with the DVD case.
 xGrimx
09-05-2002, 4:56 PM
DVD case, much kooler :D
 MJ
09-05-2002, 6:48 PM
I'm not asking you to buy it, Sanspoof.

It'll be in much better quality on CD, there'll be deleted scenes on it as well, what I believe is a very cool cover.

Plus, Tierra is going to start being pulled offline when Lost Cause starts, due to website space.

Plus you'd be allowing me to pay the actors, thereby allowing for future Nightlight Productions to be made easier.

But as I said, nobody's forcing you to do anything

Having said that, I mightn't put the last episode up now. You'll have to buy the CD to hear it. ;)
 Darth Eggplant
09-06-2002, 12:38 AM
stick it to kitty boy 8!!!!!:D
since I plan to buy it I don't mind if
you stopped an episode short.:cool:

cool what is the next one about?
PM me if you want to keep it a secret
or make me wait too.
 MJ
09-06-2002, 3:13 AM
I wouldn't be that mean, I'm working on part 10 now, it should be online tonight. :)

The next radio series is called 'Lost Cause'. I gave the scoop to the GFN (cause they've been such great guys) so read about it in their news section.

Then come back to the forum and post what you think about it in a new thread, so there's at least one other thread started by someone else other than me in this damn forum. :D
 Crocodilic
09-08-2002, 10:47 AM
YOU LIE!! YOU LIE!!! WE WANT THE LAST EPISODE!!!
 GendoTheGreat
09-08-2002, 11:18 AM
All I want to know is: how much, and how soon can I get my copy? And will I pay less for delivery because we're in the same country?
 MeddlingMonk
09-08-2002, 12:09 PM
8 of 12: Have you thought of doing this as a hybrid CD?
 MJ
09-08-2002, 5:59 PM
What do you mean by hybrid CD? A CD that is half audio and data? If that's what you mean, then yes, it's a hybrid CD.
 MeddlingMonk
09-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Yes, hybrid CDs are data/audio.
 Crocodilic
09-10-2002, 7:18 AM
WE STILL WANT THE LAST PART. Im going to university in a couple of days and I wont be able to download the last part! The bitter Irony is that!
 MJ
09-10-2002, 7:44 PM
Take a chill pill, Mr. Crocodile. The last part will be online in a few hours, I had to slightly change the ending.

These are pretty difficult to make, you know. They take time.

Incidently, the price for Tierra will be $11US, plus the postage. Hope none of you think that's outrageously priced, but I've got actors to pay.

Hell, if I don't sell over 13 copies, I won't get any money from it myself!
 Darth Eggplant
09-11-2002, 9:38 AM
that is indeed a fair price,
I don't think people should complain too much.
I think even 20 with shipping would not have
caused too much concern.
especially since you said the audio quality
will be much better and you said I believe
each part will have extra material in it.

I will somehow come up with the Doss,
most people will too.
(that is what girl friends are for, right?
and umm that other thing too.:D )
 LiMP RABBiT
10-02-2002, 12:16 PM
Though this may sound stupid, will the bought CD allow us to listen to Tierra on a stereo. I thought you would but a friend of mine suggested you may not. Please put my mind at ease.
 MJ
10-02-2002, 9:10 PM
Stereo? lol! Of course it would.

Unless, like me, you've got a gittish speaker. :)
 Darth Eggplant
10-02-2002, 11:50 PM
my opinion is whatever works best for you,
will be happy to accept it in toliet paper.
so long as the CD is okey dokey.
would like to see more artwork,
but again have no prefference
other than owning a copy.
 LiMP RABBiT
10-16-2002, 11:33 AM
I want my cd. Unfortunately a few years ago i moved from aus to england and am at about the most distant point from australia on the earth. AHHHHHHHHHHHH the suspense is starting to give me a brain hema... hemara.... hemarage... who cares, brain bloodiness, or what ever you call it.
Page: 1 of 1