Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

JK2 editing tools crash

Page: 1 of 1
 FEXX
08-25-2002, 10:55 PM
I cannot seem to run JK2Radiant or the other tools. They are installed in to the ...\GameData folder, and I have also uncompressed the huge 'assets0.pk3' to the ...\GameData\base folder too, so I can access all the maps, scripts, textures, etc.

My current system specs:
Dual AMD 1800+, each 1800 & 1.5GHz
Tyan Tiger MP 2460 motherboard
AMD-760 MP chipset
1GB DDR RAM ECC Registered
Asus V8460 Ultra Deluxe GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (AGP)
NIVIDA 30.82 drivers (and tested 28.32 as well, same results)
Resolution: 1152x864 @ 16-bit high color (tested all combinations; no help)

Problem is when I double-click the JK2Radiant.exe, MD3View.exe, ModView.exe, or ShaderEd2.exe files, I get an immediate error and no application window ever opens, or tries to even. All these programs crash exactly the same -- they crash just before the .exe even starts up. Some history: I installed the jk2 tools into ...\GameData\Tools, so the path should be correct. I have tried changing my NIVIDIA video driver settings to all possible combinations and run them again, but still, each time in each app the bug is predictable and happens instantaneously.

So I checked the error message that Dr. Watson saved when I tried to run just JK2Radiant.exe, I have listed it below:

Application exception occurred:
App: (pid=1228)
When: 8/25/2002 @ 19:34:01.750
Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)
c0000005 RtlEnterCriticalSection(77F821E1)

No clue what this means. Is this a video driver problem? I have tried the latest 30.82 NIVIDIA drivers and the 28.32 version, and still the problem exists after all the tests.

I own JK2 and have the CD in the drive always, and have upgraded JK2 to 1.04. Note that I log-in to Win2K Pro as the Administrator; i.e. Administrator permissions.

So I was forced to try out GtkRadiant 1.2.8-jk2 to create levels. I installed it and pointed it to the correct ...\GameData folder when asked. I then rebooted system and started up GtkRadiant 1.2.8-jk2. Happily it did start up and seems to be very stable -- it does not instantly crash like the JK2 tools mentioned above. I then quickly made a small map and saved the .map in ...\GameData\base\maps, and then used the menu option >BSP >FullVis and it created a batch file to use with sof2map. Then sof2map.exe was used by the batch to create the .bsp. Well, my maps are all in the correct folder, under ...\GameData\base\maps. But when sof2map.exe is executed, and I check the junk.txt file, all I ever get back are the messages listed below:

SoF2Map v1.0c (c) 2000 Raven Software Inc.

---- BSP ----
Unspecified error - please contact John or Rick.

---- Vis ----

----- Lighting ----

It does not do anything at all!
I have even removed all of JK2 files from my hard drive completely; the JK2 tools mentioned above and GtkRadiant 1.2.8-jk2, then even went in to my registry and cleared out any keys I found it did not remove - to totally clean the system of it, rebooted and reinstalled JK2 off my CD. Then used the 1.04 patch, and tested each program mentioned above again, and grimly again received the same error messages in the same situations - so no solution was it to remove all and reinstall stuff it appears.

Any ideas what to do or try to get these tools to work? I did not have these problems on my last dual Intel-450mhz system, but seem to now on my dual AMD 1800+ Tyan Tiger MP.

Any of your advice is welcome, I wish to create levels again...or I may be faced to get an Intel motherboard and Intel chip again to run these tools. But I have a feeling that the software does not like my system for some reason, may be due to two AMD CPUs, as the JK2MP.exe did not even work for me till LucasArts and RAVEN fixed it 3 months after I purchased the game; so may be it is my two CPUs or non-Intel hardware somehow cursing me.
 Emon
08-25-2002, 11:46 PM
1. Very kickass system. But why did you bother with dual CPUs? It looks like you've got a gaming machine, and dual CPUs are actually slower for gaming.

2. For GTKRadiant, make sure you install it to your GameData folder... If you did, well, I have no idea.
 FEXX
08-26-2002, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Did not realize a dual setup slows, or may slow down a game.

I have a desire to play games yes, but I am also into 3D modeling, animation and rendering. That is why I have a dual AMD, for faster rendering times, but it seems to be causing a lot of problems for games; or at least the games I have tried so far. And not sure why these JK2 tools don't work.

If I use sof2map.exe by itself it will beep my PC speaker, no matter what correct command I try to enter it fails or beeps. May be it expects some thing my hardware cannot do or understand. And I have not seen a window pop up either or any results from it.

I reinstalled GtkRadiant-1.2.8-jk2.exe into my ...\GameData folder, and such, and tried it out. Still sof2map.exe is the wall - it won't even function it seems.

Perhaps I need to get Intel hardware if I want all games to work, since most game developers seem to be using Intel hardware to develope on, though I maybe wrong.

I keep wondering if a solution is even possible by me.
 Emon
08-26-2002, 1:39 AM
Intel might be better for dual CPUs for this sort of thing, not so sure.

Can you disable one CPU at startup anyhow?
 Darth_Linux
08-26-2002, 3:54 AM
in my experience, unspecified error means there is a texture listed in one of the shaders or the map file itself that is invalid and it can't find the image . . . see if you can compile one of the JO map files that is included with the tools and see if that helps.

you might also manually copy sof2map into your gamedata\base\maps dir and open a cmd window. then run sof2map -all mapname.map and see what happens that way
 Leslie Judge
08-26-2002, 4:01 AM
Hmm... I was thinking on this very long. Still nothing. :)

Try q3map2.exe instead of sof2map.exe. Who knows? The link is somewhere here in this forum in a thread started by ydnar.
 FEXX
08-26-2002, 4:20 PM
Darth_Linux:

I tried your idea with moving sof2map.exe into my ...\GameData\base\maps folder and ran it as sof2map -all <mapname.map> on my own maps and the ones that come with the JK II Tools, and get the same thing-- nothing happens, no window appears at all -- all I get is the PC speaker beep when I press ENTER and the error message below:

---- BSP ----

I have no idea why sof2map.exe crashes like this on all maps I tried, my own or the old ones that use to compile fine.

After work today I will try q3map2.exe instead and see if that works...
 FEXX
08-26-2002, 7:30 PM
Well I gave q3map2 a try from:
http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/)

It won't even work, it complains about a .dll missing. Oh well, guess I cannot do any level editing for whatever reason.
 Andy867
08-26-2002, 8:21 PM
Fexx, did you make sure to download the DLL files under the 2.3 folder? the address for the dll .zip file is
http://www.shaderlab.com/q3map2/2.3/q3map_dlls.zip)

that may be the dll file that Q3map2 is looking for. Hope that works. and i am not sure what is going on with Radiant, but when I try to load up the shader program, it gives me problems at the beginng as well, but never did before... Strange.
 FEXX
08-26-2002, 8:47 PM
Thanks for the info - I got the .DLL zip and uncompressed it into my WINNT/System folder (using Win2k Pro).

I then tried out q3map2.exe and used it in my JK2 maps folder on a test4.map I did, and got this text back:

2.3.0-a1
Q3Map - v1.0r (c) 1999 Id Software Inc.
Q3Map (ydnar) - v2.3.0-a1
GtkRadiant - v1.3.2-nightly Jul 21 2002 19:23:55
Strong lightmaps for a brighter tomorrow.
VFS Init: ..//baseq3/

---- BSP ----
2 threads
reading map file D:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/test4.map
entering D:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/test4.map
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/kejim/floor02
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/kejim/grate02
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/impdetention/512_512
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/kejim/grate01
0 areaportals
size: -320, -264, 0 to 328, 256, 384
38 leafs filled
writing D:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/test4.prt
0 triangle surfaces
0 triangle vertexes
--- WriteSurfaceExtraFile ---
writing D:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/test4.srf
Writing D:/Program Files/LucasArts/Star Wars JK II Jedi Outcast/GameData/base/maps/test4.bsp
0 seconds elapsed

So it cannot seem to find my textures for some reason, is this due to it trying to look for some q3 folder instead of JK2? And not sure if q3map2.exe can create working JK2 .bsp maps. But it seems to run where sof2map.exe does nothing but beep or give unspecified errors.
 Emon
08-26-2002, 8:49 PM
You're supposed to put the DLLs in the same place you have q3map2.exe.
 FEXX
08-26-2002, 8:53 PM
Okay I moved the .DLLs it uses to the same folder, in \maps in this case.

But I receive the same error messages as before.

(WINNT/System is a shared OS folder, so if files are in there, any application should have access to them)
 Darth_Linux
08-27-2002, 1:29 PM
it's prolly looking in a non-existant quake3 directory.

I'd try sof2map again,
but this time close everysingle application but the dos window you launch the command from.
close all systray apps, stop all non essential services - give sof2map as much free physical ram as possible.

i often get unspecified error when I have too many things open. closing them all allows the app to run properly.

by the way dll's can live in their binary's home directory or the OS' lib dir (system32 or system).
 Wes Marrakesh
08-27-2002, 3:03 PM
Originally posted by FEXX
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/kejim/floor02
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/kejim/grate02
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/impdetention/512_512
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/kejim/grate01
I get that a bunch. It appears to do absolutely nothing.
 FEXX
08-28-2002, 9:26 PM
sof2map will not work with all applications closed. And remember that JK2Radiant.exe, MD3View.exe, ModView.exe, or ShaderEd2.exe all crash and no application window opens. This is strange stuff. They work and then don't work. But I was not doing map editing for a few months, then got back in to it and discovered these problems.
 FEXX
09-01-2002, 3:12 AM
A friend today at work mentioned that NVIDIA released new Windows XP/2000 drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_40.41), so I got them, installed 'em and rebooted.

I then tried the JK2 tools again, and they ironically started to work again, as does sof2map.exe. The tools started to work again after that reboot. I think it was therefore an OpenGL video driver problem with v28.32 and v30.82, or a video driver communication problem.

So I am back to map making gladly.
Thanks goes out to those that contributed to this thread.
Page: 1 of 1