Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Tom Clancy

Page: 1 of 1
 Tall Guy
08-10-2002, 7:50 PM
I'm about half way through reading Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy and its pretty cool....anybody read any of his stuff? This is the first one i've read but i think i'll be investing in a few more of his books!...yeah books...the paper things your mum looks at...?
 GendoTheGreat
08-10-2002, 8:52 PM
WB, Tall. Have a nice holiday? Yes, I've read a few Tom Clancy books. I don't remember offhand which ones, but they're pretty good if you like that sort of thing. They're good and long too, it actually takes me more than a day to read one.
 Isis Kaldara
08-11-2002, 2:49 AM
I haven't read any yet. Uma-chan has been the bookworm lately. I've only kept interest in a few series. These consist of the Discworld Novels, The Wheel Of Time, Ah! My Goddess, No Need For Tenchi, and, of course, Harry Potter, which I only keep because it is not completed yet and because I can't throw out my birthday gift from grandma or I'll never hear the end of it. Speaking of long books that take a while to read, I have spent the past few days on The Eye of the World because it should be a series all in itself, it's so long. So far, I think, there are 9 Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time books, but each one is at least 600 pages long. He just goes so deep into detail... I believe the longest book I have ever read was the uncut version of Stephen King's THE STAND because I don't consider that piece of junk they call "The Bible" to be a book. The most difficult book I have ever read, I finished a few years ago. War and Peace was that. It was so difficult because it had been translated from Russian. Anyway, enough blathering on about my books, I believe I will read some Clancy if Uma-chan ever gets some.
 Tall Guy
08-11-2002, 5:55 AM
Originally posted by Isis Kaldara
I haven't read any yet. Uma-chan has been the bookworm lately. I've only kept interest in a few series. These consist of the Discworld Novels...

I'm a big fan of the discworld novels too, i've reaed quite a few but i've still got a few more to get through. :D:D:D

oh, btw Gendo, the holiday was really great thanks ;)
 GendoTheGreat
08-11-2002, 11:43 AM
To the best of my recollection, my favourite all-time books are The Power of One and Tandia. I read a lot of Harry Harrison as a kid. My favourite books were his Stainless Steel Rat series. His Eden trilogy was awesome too. And come to think of it, I read a pretty big chunk of the Bible (or as Isis fondly refers to it, "that piece of junk") too. Thinking further, I remember that I read pretty much anything I could get my hands on. Then one day, along came television and computers and my brain promptly turned to slush. The End.

Where did you have your holiday anyway, Tall?
 Tall Guy
08-11-2002, 12:12 PM
Tenby, South Wales. great little place and it was quite hot down there too!
 Isis Kaldara
08-12-2002, 4:21 AM
(I just love that little piece, can't you tell? :D )

Of Discworld, I have read the first four and started the fifth. Here is a list of all the novels so far:

Colour of Magic
Light Fantastic
Equal Rites
Mort
Sourcery
Wyrd Sisters
Pyramids
Guards! Guards!
Eric
Moving Pictures
Reaper Man
Witches Abroad
Small Gods
Lords and Ladies
Men at Arms
Soul Music
Feet of Clay
Interesting Times
Maskerade
Hogfather
Jingo
The Last Continent
Carpe Jugulum
The Fifth Elephant
The Truth
Thief of Time
 Darth Eggplant
08-12-2002, 10:17 AM
:jawa
you also need to read Good Omens by
Neil Gaiman and Terry Prattchet.
also since Tall Guy has started playing
MYST Hyperion publishers the three MYST
books book of Atrus, book of Ti'ana and
book of Teranee. they will not tell you
how to play the game but they will give
you great background on the D'Ni culture.
writen by one of the Miller brothers and Paul Windgrove I think
(good established writer)
 superdude201
08-13-2002, 6:23 AM
I haven't rerad any of his books or been on the games but that film thats based on a tom clancy book looks god.
 Tall Guy
08-13-2002, 7:43 AM
I agree, the new film is called "The Sum Of All Fears" Out now i think. Some other books that Clancy has wrote that have been turned into films include:

The Hunt For Red October
Clear And Present Danger
Patriot Games

and probably a few more too....
 Darth Eggplant
08-13-2002, 1:08 PM
I do not like Tom Clancy.
not because he is a bad writer
but because he and his fellow authors
who pen that sort of book do harm accidentally.
I mean even prior to 911
think about it, terrorists send people
to this country ie Canada,
the USA and the UK
so that they can be educated and so that
they can see first hand (in their own minds)
how bad and decandent we infidels are
and while they are here they absorb ideas
from books and movies.
now if it can be thought up and put into
words it can almost certainly be made real,
so these great books with their detailed
instructions on world case senarios
actually serve by (accident)as how to
demo's for terrorists.
I think even though we view them as
entertainment and nothing more
we should re-evaluate what we find
entertaining.
*as for Tom Clancy and those who like
him, I saw Red October and really liked
that film, I have it myself actually*

* I also really hate when actors
switch roles. for me Jack
is always going
to be Alex Baldwin.
But now Jack aged and became Harrison,
and then went back in time to be
Ben,
I mean it was bad enough in the old
Bond movies how Felix Lighter was
both caucasian and african american;
some continuity please.
I can only suspend my disbelief so far*
 Tall Guy
08-13-2002, 2:30 PM
Rainbow Six is the first TC book I have read so I'm not sure I can comment on how the books give ideas to possible terrorism but from what I have read so far of R6 I dont see how it could serve as an aid to planning forms of terrorism.

If anything it seems to give a lot away about ther statagies of governments around the world as although it is only fiction, I'm pretty damn sure there are secret organisations in existance that only a handfull of people know about! :D:D:D

"It is Tom Clancy's most shocking story to date -- and closer to the truth than any government would care to admit..." - Inside cover
 scabb
08-22-2002, 2:40 PM
I dislike Tom Clany. I read the first few chapters of 'Net Force: Breaking Point' and was not enthralled or encaptivated, nor did I wish to pursue the book.
 GendoTheGreat
08-22-2002, 3:00 PM
To read Tom Clancy, you have to be in the right mood: bored.
 Darth Eggplant
08-22-2002, 3:36 PM
ouch a cricket!
what do you think
of JK Rowling then?
I know you like Terry Prattchet.
 GendoTheGreat
08-22-2002, 4:01 PM
No, not JK Rowling. I went through a mystical-fantastical bullcrap phase when I was younger, though. I read a bit of Terry Pratchett here and there as well.

I like Wilbur Smith though. Has anyone read The Seventh Scroll? Like Tom Clancy, you have to be in the right mood for Wilbur Smith.
 scabb
08-22-2002, 5:44 PM
Heh, my father is an avid Wilbur Smith fan.

Personally I think he's just a rip off of Will Smith
Page: 1 of 1