Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Driving around!

Page: 1 of 1
 Jan Gaarni
08-09-2002, 4:24 PM
This is more of a fun poll, but alittle seriouse none the less. :D

I was booting up my machine. It booted up nicely and all and my background picture came up as it should. I had been in a discussion about gun control and how you should have a licens to own one earlier this day.

With this discussion still on my mind, as I looked at the pic - it's the one from SWGalaxies displaying the logo and a Rodian driving a speeder - it suddently hit me. Do we need to take some kind of license to drive those things?!? :D

We prolly don't, but I would feel alittle safer if it was this way. I really would hate it if someone just drove me over as I was walking down the road. :p

So, do you think you should prove yourself as a competent driver before you are able to by and drive one? ;)
 Ewok Hunter
08-09-2002, 5:37 PM
nah, not realy. it would take out all the fun.

remember kids, running Jan over is 100 points :p
 Gaalgoth
08-09-2002, 10:51 PM
Yeah, and if you run him over and kill him you instantly become a sith lord!
 Ewok Hunter
08-10-2002, 12:52 AM
and if you run over him, kill him, and send him flying you also get this ticket to an alll-you can eat buffet :D
 Jan Gaarni
08-10-2002, 5:13 AM
Ok, ok, you 2, stop it. :D

I am being serious here too.

Would you really like to be run over accidently by a nimwit that can't drive properly?

Remeber what kind of world we live in today. It's not that the feeling of responsability is in vast amounts in people U know.
 Ewok Hunter
08-10-2002, 2:16 PM
well, if you trust them to carry around gun and/or more dangerous weapons, then don't you think they can handle driving? besides, i'm sure that they'll add something to prevent people from killing, or at least deter killing, in a non pvp area. if not when they add the vheicles , then after a whole bunch of people try to do a monster truck derby in a crrowded area
 setsuko
08-10-2002, 8:53 PM
Confidence is good. Control is better.
 Gaalgoth
08-11-2002, 12:07 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think it'll be fun to run people over. I'll feel like one of those cops on bicycles. Except without the whole protect and to serve thing.
 Ewok Hunter
08-11-2002, 12:28 AM
hey, find a group of PAs to fund it and we could create a run-people-over-athon, we could sell tickets to it:D
 Jan Gaarni
08-11-2002, 5:19 AM
The more I read this thread, the more I want a drivers test in-game. :cool:
 Ewok Hunter
08-11-2002, 2:24 PM
don't resist Jan, join the drivers side of the truck :p
if you think people driving cars will be bad, think about the space expansion...
 Gaalgoth
08-11-2002, 11:10 PM
Actually, a good anti-run people over thing would be to have it cause serious damage to the vehicle....and make it unable to insure vehicles.
 Jan Gaarni
08-12-2002, 7:09 AM
if you think people driving cars will be bad, think about the space expansion...
Actually that part I'm not too worried about.

There's a slime chance I'll be walking in space and then get hit by a speeding spaceship, compared to walking in Mos Eisley and get run over by a speeding or out of control speeder or simply by an unexperienced driver. :D

Good solution, Gaalgoth. Now we're starting to come up with possible ways of stopping such scenario, and I fear it will be a frequent one. :rolleyes:

I myself always thought they would trade realisme with not being able to kill a person, but if you add more realisme to it, then what Gaalgoth proposed is a good solution. :)
 Ewok Hunter
08-12-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni

Actually that part I'm not too worried about.

There's a slime chance I'll be walking in space and then get hit by a speeding spaceship, compared to walking in Mos Eisley and get run over by a speeding or out of control speeder or simply by an unexperienced driver. :D

Good solution, Gaalgoth. Now we're starting to come up with possible ways of stopping such scenario, and I fear it will be a frequent one. :rolleyes:

I myself always thought they would trade realisme with not being able to kill a person, but if you add more realisme to it, then what Gaalgoth proposed is a good solution. :) how about repulsor lift vehicles go over the other people instead of through them :D
if you do encounter speeding spaceships then they would hurt more because they are generaly have shields compared to land viecles, which typiclly don't
 superdude201
08-13-2002, 6:29 AM
You should be able to drive landspeeders etc but when in star wars have u seen anyone go a driving test?
 setsuko
08-13-2002, 9:55 AM
Luke: "But I want to go to the academy this year!"

Aunt Beru: "But you don't even have a drivers license, Luke."

Luke: "Oh. I forgot. Sorry."
 Wraith 8
08-19-2002, 9:00 AM
hmmm.. maybe you need to require some sort of skill first before you can drive .. who knows
 superdude201
08-19-2002, 9:27 AM
What i was saying was evn if they did they would have nothing from the movies to go by how the pass etc and all the different stuff u need to do.
 Jan Gaarni
08-19-2002, 11:09 AM
Neither is there much info on Corellia - nothing from the movies except it being mentioned and little from the EU - yet it's in the game.

I'm currently making a survey on the different planets in-game for my PA, and surprisingly enough, when I started, I found there was extremely little info on this planet, yet it is one of THE most important planet in the history of the Republic.
 Ewok Hunter
08-19-2002, 3:16 PM
well ther's all that stuff about the correlian's disain for odds and one of the correllian senators was nominated for the chance to be voted on to become the new supreme thing in TPM, seems that they mention it at least a few times in cannon
 Jan Gaarni
08-19-2002, 5:20 PM
well ther's all that stuff about the correlian's disain for odds and one of the correllian senators was nominated for the chance to be voted on to become the new supreme thing in TPM, seems that they mention it at least a few times in cannon
Which only supports my point. :D

The key word here is "mentioned". It's never been shown, nor has there been any info on the planet itself in the movie.
My reason for posting my last reply was this:
" ... they would have nothing from the movies to go by ... "

Their not basing this game on info from the movies only. If they did, there wouldn't be much of a game, and Corellia would never have been in it, that's for sure.

So, why can't they come up with the system themselfs?

Perfect example about what I'm talking about: Rori, one of Naboos 2 moons.
Up until it was announced, noone knew anything about it, other than it was one of the 2 moons of Naboo. How it looks like and stuff is what the devs have come up with and aproved by LucasFilms Ltd. :)
 Ewok Hunter
08-19-2002, 6:27 PM
besides games are sometimes considered even futher away from cannon than EU books and comics in some circles...
 RobBisec
08-19-2002, 7:12 PM
The dark side has tainted me........ and suceeded. (cranks up speeder to 90 MPH
 Ewok Hunter
08-19-2002, 7:14 PM
yeah this would work great with the wild areas that they removed from the game :mad:
 RobBisec
08-19-2002, 7:36 PM
yep it would. Too bad that probably wont happen.
 superdude201
08-20-2002, 4:54 PM
Originally posted by setsuko
Luke: "But I want to go to the academy this year!"

Aunt Beru: "But you don't even have a drivers license, Luke."

Luke: "Oh. I forgot. Sorry."
So what that means he hasn't been so that means look skywalker is braking the law then he drove a landspeeder without passing his drivers test and the acadamy is where u learn to be a better pilot and fly for the rebels or imperials so no in star wars there is nothing mentioned about driving tests
 Ewok Hunter
08-20-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by superdude201

So what that means he hasn't been so that means look skywalker is braking the law then he drove a landspeeder without passing his drivers test and the acadamy is where u learn to be a better pilot and fly for the rebels or imperials so no in star wars there is nothing mentioned about driving tests
uhh.... what:confused: [Royal Guard voice] the academy is only for loyal sons of the Empire, there is no rom for the rebel trash you call pilots[/RoyalGuard voice] the rebels would be hard pushed to go and get someone in the Imperial academy just to have them become better pilots, they'd just train them themselves
 Jan Gaarni
08-21-2002, 11:11 AM
Well, many of the rebel pilots came from the Imperial Academy. ;)

Biggs Darklighter, Luke's childhood buddy trained there I believe.
 RoyalGuard
08-21-2002, 7:14 PM
[Royal Guard voice] the academy is only for loyal sons of the Empire, there is no rom for the rebel trash you call pilots[/RoyalGuard voice]

achem... If you're going to imitate me get it right :) ; Nikarn never uses one word when he can use a sentence and show off!

The academy is indeed only for the best of the best. Flying a TIE effectively requires supreme skill, coordination and practice. No potential rebel, with the typical lack of a basic sense of honour and decency this entails, not to mention a lower than average intelligence, could hope to pass the stringent entrance examinations.

ON topic (and out of character), from various sources I get the impression that all speeders have stringent collision prevention measures that automatically prevent accidents. These have to be disabled for desperate maneuvers like ramming. Therefore the Devs can get round accidental deaths by incompetent pilots by representing this in game. I think they should keep things like hit and run attacks in game, life's much more fun when it could be taken away at any moment....
 Sckitzo
08-22-2002, 12:09 AM
Hmm a linsance would amke sense on coreelia and maybe Naboo places where there are loads of ppl. Of course I doubt the local law enforcemnt will be pulling you over for speeing :p
 setsuko
08-22-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Sckitzo
Of course I doubt the local law enforcemnt will be pulling you over for speeing :p

I will.
 Jan Gaarni
08-22-2002, 11:59 AM
And she's not kidding either. :D
 Ewok Hunter
08-22-2002, 10:03 PM
well, then perhaps it's best that i don't metion Fel's cadets...
ON topic: like i said before, if they removed wild areas, they might not let people do things like run over crowds of people.
 setsuko
08-22-2002, 10:07 PM
I find it hard to believe that running over innocent people with hoverbikes will be in the game, if slavery is 'not politally correct enough'.
 Ewok Hunter
08-22-2002, 10:31 PM
on the off chance that they miss it, we should form a non-violent protest and open up some LSD:D

uhhh, anyway if they do add it and it's a problem then it'll probably be caught in the beta
 RobBisec
08-24-2002, 1:03 AM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
Well, many of the rebel pilots came from the Imperial Academy. ;)

Biggs Darklighter, Luke's childhood buddy trained there I believe.
Kyle Katarn too but he wasnt really a pilot.
 Ewok Hunter
08-24-2002, 1:31 AM
nah, he was just you run of the mill, stortrooper cannon fodder trainee :D
and n topic: they should have collision damage in the Space expansion so you can ram your punny little starfighter into the command deck of a Imp star to take it out :explode:
 Sounds Risky
08-29-2002, 7:17 PM
I want a dune buggy and some great physics model. That'll teach those pesky sentient beings.

And I don't intend on learning how to parallel park in the game either.
 "thA dekMan"
09-03-2002, 3:55 PM
I think it would be a great idea!

have to go to speeder school lol. But I don't think they should make it to tough, just like drive though "beacons" or something around a track without hitting them. And it would cost like 100 credits.

I wouldn't want them to make it as difficult GT2. That **** can be tough LOL.

I would love to have a little group of people who do illegal speeder racing at night on the streets of tatooine for money! That would be amazing! And just sit around and supe up there speeders HA.

I would love for them to do a little pod racer expansion. And have races and ****.
 setsuko
09-03-2002, 6:30 PM
It all boils down to how much we will be allowed to tamper/improve speeders and such.

Hmmm.. there ought to be a 'drive skill'. How is it to affect the game, do you think? Will it enable you to go faster than normal? Narrower curves?
 Ewok Hunter
09-03-2002, 8:48 PM
hmm Set you may be on to something, maybe as an extention to some mechanical skill, like getting the last drop of fuel out of the engine or doing tricks with the viehicle and stuff...
 setsuko
09-03-2002, 10:18 PM
Having a minimum requirement to the different vehicles also comes to mind. So the new, green backwater farmer can't jump unto the biggest speeder in town and dissapear into the sunset...
 "thA dekMan"
09-04-2002, 3:58 PM
okay guys lets all go start making our mod yeah!

I hope something like this gets implemented dearly... it would be fantastic. Minimum driving req should be included and I love the option of a driving skill, which could maybe unlock after points in the mechanical skill. I would love to be able to tweak and paint my speeder all sick lol.
 Murashu
09-22-2002, 1:08 AM
I agree there should be a driving skill tree.

We can buy or trade guns, but without training with them we can't use them effectively. If we buy a speeder we wouldnt be able to operate it effectively without some kind of training, whether it's from a PC or NPC.
 setsuko
09-22-2002, 9:31 AM
I can't wait to see the final skills list....
 Murashu
09-22-2002, 12:58 PM
I wonder how many skills they are implementing and how many different levels to each skill. The list must be huge.
Page: 1 of 1