Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Anchorhead (Beta) Map Release

Page: 1 of 1
 t3rr0r
03-15-2002, 2:47 AM
Originally posted by monsoontide
I've begun rebuilding the main tower to be more accessable and make the stiars easier to go up and down.
will they be similar to the stairs near the top of the tower? cause those worked well. there were a bit too many, though.
 monsoontide
07-22-2002, 4:17 PM
Hello,

My Anchorhead FFA / CTF / Holocron map (Beta release) is now available for download at jedioutcastmaps.com (Currently has a rating of 9.6 with 468 downloads)

Feedback on gameplay issues would be very much appreciated
so I proceed to a final version.

Enjoy,

Monsoontide
 JediGhost[SITH]
07-22-2002, 4:54 PM
Dude that map ROCKS!

Only one thing: You should allow players to get to the little house thingies at the bottom :( Though the whole hole thingy is cool too.
 Hanch Saode
07-22-2002, 5:28 PM
Haven't troed ot yet, but by the pictures to hudge, it looks damn good!

I will try it in a few minutes :)
 t3rr0r
07-22-2002, 7:10 PM
this map is really impressive, although when at the top of the tower, you can see the odd path of the skyhopper. i also agree that the bottom should be accessable.
 monsoontide
07-23-2002, 1:55 AM
Thanks for the feedbackl guys.
Have just finsihed playing Warcraft 3 so will have some more time to devote to finishing this map.

Looks like everyone so far would like access to street level, so will have to plan that area a lot more (Currently it's just for looks!)

Lots of stuff to fix really, but will get it done a.s.a.p.

Thanks
Monsoontide
 SlowbieOne
07-23-2002, 3:48 AM
One more for access to the lower level.:) Maybe a few elevators on the perimeter or something to get there.

I'd have to say this level is definately one of the best yet. Good Job.:D

There is one thing that kinda bothers me though. Its a little bright in some spots specifically at the bottom and in the hangers. Other than that, I'm looking forward to the final release.:)
 Eklin
07-23-2002, 3:57 AM
Soooooooo slooooooow........

Even without any bots or anything spawned in the map, I can get about an average of 4 fps (I normally get about 17-30).

It looks really good so far, it's just that there's so much stuff in it that it slows the game down a helluva lot.
 Hanch Saode
07-23-2002, 7:49 AM
So I've tried it...and it rox! :D

Though I didn't havae so much time when I ran it, so many corners and patgs I didn't manage to try...but by judging what I have tried, it looks really good...

Keep up the good work there :)
 t3rr0r
07-23-2002, 1:20 PM
Originally posted by Eklin
Soooooooo slooooooow........

Even without any bots or anything spawned in the map, I can get about an average of 4 fps (I normally get about 17-30).

It looks really good so far, it's just that there's so much stuff in it that it slows the game down a helluva lot.
fixing the seams should increase fps some.
 Drakewl
07-23-2002, 2:07 PM
the feeling for the place is already nice, but there is a hell lotta work to do, not only talking about the seams but also the use of portals

these spaceships like the slave1 and the falcon thingie and all these speeder bikes eat much of the overall performance since there arent any portals used in the scene to reduce the amount of polys you can't really see

try to make the textured doors and windows a little bit smaller

i also own the episode 1 artbook and generally doors of tatooine based buildings are small to keep the cool temperature in the rooms, but these textured doors are like of 4 meters height

im working on a similiar scene, but for single player, cuz you can control the polycount on characters in a better way (trigger based spawn)
this map has a chance for duells but i doubt it will be used for team ffa, there arent enough vis blocking structures which regulate the player per area frequency, because must action will happen in the crater
 t3rr0r
07-23-2002, 3:17 PM
Originally posted by Drakewl
this map has a chance for duells but i doubt it will be used for team ffa,
this wouldn't work at all as a duel map. it's way to big. it'd be nice if you had the teams spawn in their own areas, rather than all over, for team ffa.
 Drakewl
07-23-2002, 4:11 PM
jep, you're right, thats why it just has a chance to be a duell map :)

for duell maptype i would delete all those landing spots and the control rooms. I would increase the detail on the bridges between the towers and i would make them somewhat bigger, so you dont fall of a bridge

so duelling would be in the middle of the crater with no chance to run onto one of those plateaus.

P.S.: in the art book these bridges are much bigger than in this map, monsoontide just scaled the whole scene with all of its elements down, cuz its a large city not just a group of houses.
To make the map like in the original concept you would have to suicide together with radiant and the quakeengine. :)
 monsoontide
07-23-2002, 7:25 PM
Hi Once Again,

The art in the book is of course a city but in order to make it even slightly playable I've had to shrink it all down.

Will be rebuilding this map from scratch to try and eliminate the current problems and improve performance whilst still trying to keep it interesting and fun.
Am going to try and redesign the various areas to allow for some func_portals and better framerates

Keep the feedback coming it has been most helpful.
(Now I know I've seen a thread on why some single player textures show up as black in multi-player - anyone care to re-explain the problem - thx)

Would anyone be interested if I made a single player version
Or a duel specific version?

Thanks
Monsoontide
 t3rr0r
07-23-2002, 8:14 PM
i also agree that the doors should be different. i suggest taking a peak at the mos espa slave hovels, the larrs residence, and anything else. :)

also, i found an exploit in the beta version that allows access to ground level without noclip. :p
 monsoontide
07-23-2002, 8:45 PM
Ah ha! So you found the way down to the ground!!!
I thought I had it all sealed off - then I noticed the test bots I put in my map kept finding a way down by themselves without getting killed!

Anyway if you can find it you can run around the streets and see what it will kinda be like when I set that area up for playing in.
(No way back to the main area though)

Anything anyone would like to see/have at street level - other than streets?
 superdude201
07-24-2002, 9:51 AM
Cool there is a bit where u can get down without no clippig where is it???? Please :D
 monsoontide
07-24-2002, 11:04 AM
If you start by the Imperial shuttle and walk to where the gantry starts, you can squeeze down the side and fall all the way to the ground - don't go too far along the gantry though as you will hit the trigger_hurt.
I think you can do it at the end of each of the canyons leading to the landing platforms.
When at street level don't jump up to high though (i.e. from the top of a building) as you will again encounter the trigger_hurt.

The redesign process is underway (Gotta work these things out on paper before I start optimizing the map). Just working out a way to put in as many area portals as possible so as to speed up the frame rate a bit.

Monsoontide.
 monsoontide
07-24-2002, 12:36 PM
The stair will be similar if I use them but easier to traverse perhaps with a handrail to make it easier.

However, as I've been redesigning / optimizing evertything, I think I can make it all turbolifts now - more like the ones on the JK2 DeathStar multiplayer map - the really fast ones down to the detention area.

I can fit in a couple of lifts in each area so one player can be going up and another down at the same time.

If only there was an easier way to put holes/doorways in curves!

Monsoontide.
 t3rr0r
07-24-2002, 12:53 PM
just a suggestion, maybe you could get someone to model a more accurate swoop bike of some kind. the one you're using has no handles. :o

http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/flaresswoop/img/eu_bg.jpg) or http://www.starwars.com/databank/vehicle/flaresswoop/img/eu_bg.jpg)
 monsoontide
07-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Just using the Swoop prefab from jedioutcastmaps.com.
Don't really have any decent md3 editing programs and have been putting all my time into Radiant rather than milkshape or 3DSMax. I learnt lightwave, which is a fantastic modelling program but there is only one plugin available for editing md3's and it specifically designed for Q3 player models.

Will look into it a bit more when I get a chance. Or...
If someone whishes to make an improved version.

However, I am currently thinking about adding a couple of other classics - one vehicle and one creature (It would just be still though cos without softimage XSi there is apparently no way to generate animation files for JK2 characters - quite why RAVEN blew of the modeling community about not being able to create new animations withot using Softimage, I don't know - but they could have at least supplied a tutorial on the process (Appologies if they have and I've just missed it.)

I've begun rebuilding the main tower to be more accessable and make the stiars easier to go up and down.
Am using more curves this time (Didn't use them first time 'cos it's time consuming to put doors/holes into a wall made from curves - lots of sections!)

Monsoontide

P.S. On an unrelated note - on tonights news I saw where some poor guy working at a chocolate factory in the U.S. drowned in a 1,200 gallon vat of chocolate - tragic and yet I can't help smiling
:-)
 t3rr0r
07-25-2002, 2:25 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
the way you did the stairs near the top of the main tower was great. the only issue was the spacing of them.
 monsoontide
07-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Had a construction breakthrough thismorning - now using just 3 - 4 pieces to build my turbolift shaft and platforms instead of 24!!!
(Though it gets trickier when I try to have multiple lifts shafts in one room)
The main tower of the level will be mostly curve patches whilst the smaller towers will retain their brush & curve construction.

I've worked out how to seal of each of the landing pads and the red/blue bases so I can use area portals.

Blue base will be the same, except the bar room will now be downstairs.

Just out of curiosity does anyone have or can someone please make me a Dewback MD3 to scale. Just curious - I have plans!

Also As I am considering reworking this map into specific Dual / FFA & Single player maps I have a couple of questions.
1: Where would you like the duel map to be set (i.e. it will have to be a smaller part of this level)
2: In single player, how can I change (specifically) Kyle to a character of my choice - I know there's a few MOD's out there like Kyle to Luke - but I need a tutorial on how to do it myself.

Thanks
Monsoontide
 monsoontide
08-01-2002, 11:45 AM
PROGRESS UPDATE:

Well, I've finished rebuilding the main tower complete with sliding doors / Lifts & (working) Area portals.
I've redone the main crater so there are NO seams!
Street level access has begun with the main entrance into the RED (Imperial) base (More Area portals here too)
Anyone who checks out the modeling forum may have noted I've also started work on some special custom objects for use on this level.

I'm trying to make it as playable as possible this time but I also wanted to have some of those Hey!-that's cool reminders of the movies like on some of the RAVEN levels (in particular the Death star level)

I've developed a single player plot outline so if I get time to make SP level it will be quite different to what everyone else seems to be doing - NO F@#!@#N Dark Jedi (Or any Jedi for that matter) to be seen anywhere! (The time period the plot line is set in is just before ROTJ).

Keep up the good work everyone, I've really enjoyed / am looking forward to some of the maps / models/ mods released / in development at the moment.

Screenshots will hopefully be ready in the next week or two
(Full time job + kids means not much time for mapping!)

Monsoontide
 K.O
08-03-2002, 5:02 AM
Glad to here someone's still working on their beta maps. I haven't even heard anything about carbonfreeze and cantina being finished up, and they're both great maps.

Anywayz, take your time, people are happy just as long as things are released. ;D
I've played your map and it's awesome I'll tell you. And you people can get to the street level, I've done it! :D You just gotta find the right place to land...

Hitler Mode:
Hurry up with those screenshots monsoontide! >=D

**Edit: Make the duel area in one of the ship bays. Either that or in the upper level base. And about the SP Kyle change, I'd check the General Editing Forum for the tutorial. I'm not sure where it is there, but I know there is one. You could also ask Emon, he might know. He knows a lot. :D
 superdude201
08-03-2002, 9:52 AM
Ko go here for more info on the cantina with pictures http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69905) and i'm glad u r still working on it cause it was good.
 K.O
08-03-2002, 5:08 PM
Ah! Thanks a bunch superdude. :D
 Darth Link
08-03-2002, 5:22 PM
i have the map ind ive found a major prob!well maybe a GOOD prob!!!you have the trigger hurt covering most everywhere if you fall through it ya die right?NOT SO!on the place with the metal bridge leading to the shuttle area if you jump off on the corner on the left most ledge where the corners meeet youll fall right to the bottom of the map!the bottom part is now accesible.however dont jump off the buildings or youll reach the trigger_hurt and die lol.
 monsoontide
08-03-2002, 8:38 PM
I know it's a wait, but the new screenshots will be released next weekend. Just want to add a few more things first!
I'm just working on reconstructing the imperial base - now consists of four floors - the bottom most one is an entry/exit tunnel out to street level guarded by two AT-ST's. (Static in MP of course)
The Generator room is much larger and there are now a couple of other rooms. The whole base and each area / room is sealed with Area Portals so frame rate should be OK.

Main Tower is also done as is main crater.
Spent last night at work working out a rough street layout and this morning playing LivingDeadJedi's really cool Jabbaas Palace Map - Dang! He beat me to making the landspeeder!!!

Monsoontide
 superdude201
08-04-2002, 11:29 AM
Can't wait for those screenshots and his landspeeders good dunno how either of u could make one cause it looks so complicated.
 monsoontide
08-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Have decided Imperial Shuttle is a bit standard - so will be trying something slightly different for the Imperial landing Pad - Hopefully part of it should be enterable.

P.S. I need help to import a model I have made into JK2 - My evaluation of Milkshape Has expired so I can't do what I want to.
If anyone can help that'd be great. (Also need help skinning it)

Monsoontide
 nucular_jedi_14
08-05-2002, 9:20 AM
could u make the buildings openable and add some stores and huts and stuff i'd appreciate it much!
 monsoontide
08-05-2002, 1:53 PM
The city streets are/will be divided into four districts

1: Financial (Banks/Post Office/Businesses Like That)
2: General Store / Shops / Pub/Bar
3: Bazaar / Market Plaza
4: Industrial / Scrapyard

There will be at least two/three lifts down to street level.

Monsoontide
 Arkum
08-06-2002, 2:48 AM
this is awesome!!:D
 nucular_jedi_14
08-06-2002, 4:02 AM
thz mon this is gonna be hella cool!
 monsoontide
08-06-2002, 8:30 PM
Had some REAL NASTINESS :emperor: happen to me last night - seems there's some sort of corrupt brush in my level that causes Radiant to only partly save the map - I though I'd lost days of work - luckily was able to use the backups in the Snapshot folder, although the last one was as corrupt as the main file so had to go to a slightly earlier version, loosing me all my weekends work but still saving me days of work!

So the upshot is, I've completed (85%) The imperial team base, but lost all the work I'd done on the city streets! Sigh!

Thank goodness for backups! :yoda:

I still have a version with the city streets but will have to be careful using anything from it in case it corrupts my current good map!

QUESTION? - How may radiant units (At grid size 1) are equal to 20m? I thought I had it figured out but it was way too small. Thanks

Monsoontide
 monsoontide
08-13-2002, 10:19 AM
Just an appology for those waiting on updated screenshots.

I did indeed have them ready for Sunday but it appears that jedioutcastmaps.com is down for the moment (At least I can't get to it), so will have to wait a until it's back up again I guess.

GOOD NEWS: I have completed 90% of the street level area (Appart from a details such as sounds) There is a workshop to enter (With a scrapyard out back) and also a pub/bar complete with ceiling fans, a small market area and its all been designed with lots of nooks & crannies to hide in/take cover behind, as well as various elevations of roof top to allow multi-level battles in this area.

The outrider prefab is now in place and as soon as I finish my Sentinel Shuttle prefab (ie get it to complile own its own - it currently crashes the compile process) it's going into the red team landing pad. I'm going to recolour the textures from the Slave1 prefab and make them green (Bobba's colours).

STILL TO BUILD: I still have to complete the three other towers from the Beta build and create the new Blue team base which will be similar to the original but occupy two levels instead.
Also to be completed are proper indoor lighting and sound effects, but it's all coming along nicely.
 K.O
08-13-2002, 10:59 AM
Your map will be in the top 10 @ jomaps.com. I can feel it. :D Thanks for keeping us posted. ^_^
 monsoontide
08-14-2002, 5:14 AM
Hmmm....

I've sent jedioutcastmaps two batches of update pics and none have been posted as of yet.

So...

If anyone can host a few pics of the WIP that would be great.

Otherwise...

You'll just have to wait til I release the map to see what it looks like.

Monsoontide.
 Andy867
08-14-2002, 4:21 PM
If you send them to files@jediknightii.net with the Subject that says for ANDY867, I can make sure to post a little thing about it on the front page called MAP WIPs... mailto:files@jediknightii.net
 monsoontide
08-15-2002, 12:32 AM
Thanks a lot Andy867 :D

I'm currently at work (Damn nightshift), but will email a zip file containg a few screenshots in the morning when I get home. (I think about 4meg worth, but you can pick and choose which ones to post).

Started adding a few sound fx today and trying to iron out some minor kinks before I continue construction.

For the curious, I've kinda set this level in the time period directly before ROTJ when Bobba Fett :fett: has come to deliver Han Solo to Jabba.
So if/when I get to working on the SP version of this map (If there's any interest from the community) that will form the backbone of the plot.

Monsoontide.
 monsoontide
08-15-2002, 12:51 PM
Just e-mailing pix to you now about 6meg. Will take a while as it 56K dial up :(

As a side note, I'm thinking of finishing of my QUEENS STARSHIP prefab as I think I've worked out a way to do the windows.
If anyone has a chrome shader they can lend me I'd be most appreciative. Will make a small Qui-Gon vs Darth desert duel map for it too.

WHEN I'm done with Anchorhead ;)

Monsoontired
Page: 1 of 1