Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

New Resolution

Page: 1 of 1
 GendoTheGreat
07-22-2002, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know how to adjust the in-game resolution for GF, to make it look a little sharper? Even with accelerated graphics, it can get pretty grainy where depth is concerned. Surely there is a config file of some sort that controls the resolution? Increased res. would make for better quality screenshots.
 MeddlingMonk
07-23-2002, 11:16 AM
The backgrounds are pre-rendered. There's no way to change the resolution.
 Metallus
07-23-2002, 1:49 PM
Yeah, Escape From MI is the same way. It's kind of frustrating, actually.
 GendoTheGreat
07-23-2002, 9:11 PM
Yeah, I know about the backgrounds. I'm talking about the objects. Namely, the characters. They get grainy quickly at any sort of "distance". A higher resolution would help that a little. It makes screenshots smoother as well.
 MeddlingMonk
07-24-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by Metallus
Yeah, Escape From MI is the same way. It's kind of frustrating, actually.

Well, every game with pre-rendered backgrounds is that way, right down to Syberia.

And, Gendo, do you by chance mean 'jaggy' when you say 'grainy'? If so, the only thing that will help that is antialiasing. What kind of video card do you have?
 GendoTheGreat
07-24-2002, 1:29 AM
Now that I think of it, you could be right. I have an nvidia TNT2. (32 mb)
 MeddlingMonk
07-26-2002, 1:01 AM
And the TNT2 can't antialias. I should know because I have one. But I plan to upgrade soon. :p Antialiasing is supposed to really improve the appearance of 3D models in games like GF. I hear it makes the models in Syberia really blend well into the backgrounds, like they're part of them rather than superimposed.
 GendoTheGreat
07-26-2002, 9:53 AM
I want a card that will allow me to run my brand-new copy of SOF2 with maxed settings. Everything looks like Lithtech with my card. Oh well, I guess it's time to break open the old piggybank.
 Lord_FinnSon
06-24-2003, 5:43 PM
Wow! It's almost a year later and I have exactly same need to smooth out those jagged edges, but unlike in EMI which understandably uses same engine(even though enhanced version), there's no visual change in GF if I enable antialiasing. I have patched up the game and even tried to play it with 16 bit colour depth as was recommended, but no effect.

BTW, I have Radeon 9700 Pro and am using WinXP with DirectX 9.0a.
 Branik
06-28-2003, 1:36 PM
Oh crap! I thought that I was the only one from Finland around here! Now you've ruined the excitement Lord_FinnSon.

Oh and... sorry for changing the subject.
 Lord_FinnSon
06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Perskules! ;)

I would really like to hear if someone has found a solution or otherwise can get antialising to show in the game, so I know, if "problem" is graphics card related(nVidia based bards showing and Ati based not or something like that).
Page: 1 of 1