Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Four Years of the GFN

Page: 1 of 1
 Metallus
07-11-2002, 2:55 PM
That's right, folks. On the 15th of July, the Grim Fandango Network will have completed four long years of journeying from server to server, web address to web address, spreading the word of Grim Fandango.

http://www.grimfandango2.com/archive-7-1998.php)
Go here to read the very first news post from the site's founder, ZeroXcape!

Anyone have any fond memories to share? I'm interested in finding out how long people have been visiting the sites on the network.

Also: I'm wondering if anyone has some ideas about what to do for the celebration (within reason). We've already got one big surprise planned, but we're always looking for some good suggestions.
 Zaarin
07-11-2002, 5:45 PM
Well I became a passive regular sometime before feburary 2000.

I suppose I started being active in about april/may when I ran my old GF site, and then obviously I joined GFC at about the end of june 2000, thats when I became very active.

The GF scene has changed a lot since then, although granted I havent been much part of it for the last 6-9 months or so, countless new faces and webmaster changes, new sites and designs etc.

Do you remember how everyone used to have full access to every other site on the GFN? Those were trusting days... :)
 Tall Guy
07-11-2002, 7:23 PM
Happy BDay GFN!!! oh btw, since we have completed our 4 year journey is the suprise that we get passage to the 9th underworld?! :D
 Huz
07-11-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Zaarin
Do you remember how everyone used to have full access to every other site on the GFN? Those were trusting days... :) Trusting days indeed. Ah, I could tell some stories about that...

...but I'm not going to. :P
 xGrimx
07-12-2002, 5:28 AM
I 'think' I got into the GF scene (websites and all) late 1999.
 MeddlingMonk
07-12-2002, 9:48 AM
I think I must have been around since 1999, too. Like anyone cares! :D
 Darth Eggplant
07-12-2002, 12:50 PM
:jawa
I bought my copy at a time
when my computer was to slow
to even play it
then it sat in my drawer of games
for well until I signed up,
just recently.
But this is the first time
I have ever belonged to a board
or form before
and I must say that it is
without a doubt
the best form in cyber space.
Just having people online
on the 15th posting
would be a good thing.
 GendoTheGreat
07-12-2002, 1:59 PM
Ah yes, the good old GFN. What would the past two months of my life have been like without it? I might have died, but I did not. Thus using my patented FUNDAMENTALIST MINDSET brand logic, I deduce that the GFN has saved my life! Thank you, GFN!
 xGrimx
07-12-2002, 11:57 PM
Saving one life at a time....
 Metallus
07-13-2002, 1:50 AM
 Tall Guy
07-13-2002, 3:25 AM
:rolleyes: heh

well i guess i've been around for about 2 years now...cant quite remember though..i suppose it could be a bit longer :confused:
 Isis Kaldara
07-13-2002, 8:10 AM
Birthday? Did you say "Birthday?"

*Everyone gulps and suddenly, Isis breaks out thousands upon thousands of party favors, balloons, Yoo-hoos, confetti strands, snacks, and party stuffs. She jumps around, yelling:*

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GFN!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
FROM ALL OF US TO YOU!
WE WISH YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
SO WE CAN PARTY TOO!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
HOPE ALL YOUR DREAMS COME TRUE!
WE WISH YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
SO WE CAN PARTY TOO!

*She ignores all the comments about her having too much bubbly energy.*
 GendoTheGreat
07-13-2002, 8:20 AM
Forget the bubbly personality, where's the Bubbly? Hey, did I ever tell you guys what happened to me on my 21st birthday? Hell of a funny story... Now, wheres that Bubbly...
 Isis Kaldara
07-13-2002, 8:24 AM
Hey, who's in your av anyway, Gendo?
 GendoTheGreat
07-13-2002, 8:51 AM
I have to admit, that was pretty clever.
 Darth Eggplant
07-15-2002, 6:33 PM
:jawa

Happy Excelsior! Everyone!

4 years
in the land of the Dead.
4 Years
of the Grim Fandango Network.
4 Years
of the Grim Fandango forum.
not that most newbies here
such as myself can claim
to remember;
however in 4 years
let us all celebrate
the 8 years anniversary
of the Grim Fandango Network,
over hours of wonderful posts
all talking about GF2
because by then Lucasarts
will have seen the light
and made a sequel for us all!
 Metallus
07-17-2002, 1:28 PM
Ok, I've updated the main page. It's a day late, but I had a time conflict at my job on the 15th, and I ended up having to stay at work until 11pm :(. Anyway, check out the mainpage (www.grimfandango2.com), and feel free to leave a comment in the comments section.
 mxbx
07-17-2002, 4:46 PM
awesome updating, Metallus. I don't know if I should start a new topic for this, but I have a question for those who didn't start coming to the GFN four years ago. Where were you four years ago and what were your interests at the time?

I think it's amazing that someone can keep up any site for four years, let alone a site about a game w/out a sequel. Incredibly inspiring!
 GendoTheGreat
07-17-2002, 8:39 PM
Where's this comments section you mentioned, Metallus? I can't see it anywhere. Mxbx, you should assign a new subject for your post, so we can respond to it. As far as your question goes, four years ago I was wondering how I was going to pay my rent and where my next meal was coming from. I've only had a proper computer for about two years and I've had the internet for roughly half that time. When I did get one the first thing I did was buy all the games I had heard so much about. (I had the money by then.) GF was one of them. Best 24 bucks I ever spent.:)
 Metallus
07-18-2002, 12:36 AM
It's right under the headline, Gendo, next to "Posted By: ....". Unfortunately, you've got to register a separate account for commenting. I wish I knew how to integrate the forums with the comments system.
 Isis Kaldara
07-19-2002, 12:18 AM
*Eyes widen and fill with stars as Isis sees Metallus's new avatar...*

AH! IT'S SO CUTE!!!! Where'd you get it? Who made it? HOW ADORABLE!

*She starts jumping around in girlish glee at the cuteness to behold in Metallus's new avatar.*
 Tall Guy
07-21-2002, 8:18 AM
Originally posted by Metallus
Ok, I've updated the main page. It's a day late, but I had a time conflict at my job on the 15th, and I ended up having to stay at work until 11pm :(...

might have already asked this but where do you work Met?
 Metallus
07-22-2002, 3:08 AM
I work for some local office supply rectangle building.
 Tall Guy
07-22-2002, 1:08 PM
nice :D
 Isis Kaldara
07-23-2002, 1:56 PM
*Giggles uncontrollably because of the cute little walking Manny.*
 manny_c444
07-23-2002, 9:10 PM
I remember I downloaded that demo over a painful 9.5 hour span. All of an ISP that was stolen from Johns Hopkins (take that JHU!).

I think GF was already my favorite game just from playing the demo.
 GendoTheGreat
07-24-2002, 1:22 AM
Yeah, me too. I must've played the GF demo through at least 5 times. I would often start it up just to listen to the music. I dreamed of the day I would have the full game, and a PC that would run it.
Page: 1 of 1