Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Ion Canons

Page: 1 of 1
 Kavam1
09-03-2001, 9:43 PM
I’ve read book after book and every book I read when it talks about Ion canons say that shields affect or don’t affect them any one know if they do or don’t IIRC (if I remember correctly) the X-wing books say they do get affected and off the top of my head the Essential Weapons and Tech book stays they are not affected by shields any one know if they do or don’t?
 Tie Guy
09-03-2001, 9:55 PM
Well, in ESB the Planetary Ion Cannon on Hoth sure isn't affected by the star destroyers shields, but in XWA they take down the shileds and then disable.

I personally don't see why the wouldn't be affected by shields, they are still lasers, no matter what their purpose. I think that they drain the shields like regular lasers, then they hit the hull they fry the circuitry inside. I'm really not sure but i really think that they are.
 Kvan
09-04-2001, 12:23 AM
Well in the Essential guide to weapons, Ion Cannons can go through shields BUT the shields can be remodulated to deflect Ion blasts but it makes shields useless then against Laser fire :)
 Admiral Odin
09-04-2001, 9:21 AM
A ground base Ion Cannon is a lot stronger then one on a fighter, so the ground base one could have enough power to punch through a shield while the fighter one can't.
 observer_20000
09-04-2001, 9:43 AM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Well, in ESB the Planetary Ion Cannon on Hoth sure isn't affected by the star destroyers shields

That was a planetary defense Ion cannon, vs starship shields, if you have the essential guide to weapons and technology, you will see that Planetary weapons, and shields, are a lot stronger then star ship weapons, and shields.
 Tie Guy
09-04-2001, 3:50 PM
But if they can go through shields then why aren't all the capitol ships immobilized when they are shot at with lasers AND ion cannons by other cap ships?
 observer_20000
09-04-2001, 3:52 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
But if they can go through shields then why aren't all the capitol ships immobilized when they are shot at with lasers AND ion cannons by other cap ships?

It overpowered the shields.
Page: 1 of 1