Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Naming Bombshell - As Posted on News

Page: 1 of 1
 Gaelin Masek
06-26-2002, 2:59 AM
This has may have been discussed already but I need to know, is this for real?

If you do not know what I mean check out the news entitles "Whoa.." at http://www.swgalaxies.net/)

So now everybody has to have a unique first name? is that what they are saying? This is ridiculous. I mean just the idea of everybody in a universe of THOUSANDS of players having all totally unique first names baffles me.

What about those popular ones that people will want as well? Ace, Emon, Kyle, Bob (well maybe). All that.

And there is excuse is that it is too much to type out? Why can't we just put the person in our friends list and instead of typing their bloody name out every time, just click on it and type our message.

I know I have little to know understanding of coding, MUD etc. But surely will all the money and people there must be something they can do.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Juztyn.
 Tracer
06-26-2002, 6:23 AM
I agree, this seems pretty stupid...one would think that the amount of intelligent-sounding names is much lower than the number of people expected to play this game (never mind intelligent science fiction-type names).

I'm not too worried, though. The developers have listened to the community on just about every other issue, right?
 Koffin
06-26-2002, 6:29 AM
yeah, well no one take my name, I been thinking it up for two weeks now.

Bob

I think its truly unique to the Star Wars Universe and someone got my first choice allready...

Ghedrefakl ' Da ' Bevcplifixus

Not as unique I know, but i liked the way it rolled off the tounge.
 setsuko
06-26-2002, 6:38 AM
The bad thing is remembering these damn names. I remember once... I had met someone called Tergyothilumos or something stupid like that. And then, one month later, I had to find that player again, for a friend. As you might guess, I never found that person. Ever!

"/tell Tergymithlonus hello?
/tell Troglodytimaximus hello??
/tell Thermoswithhelium hellooo???"
 RoyalGuard
06-26-2002, 6:44 AM
*is staggered by Dev incompetence*

Ok I can parse names better than them and I design games, not program them!

Why not just give every player a unique number? Then if you befriend someone, you store the name and number in your 'black book'. The player number functions as a phone number for communications!

Suddenly I'm very worried about the quality of the game...
 setsuko
06-26-2002, 6:49 AM
Yeah, Royalguard, some kind of database could work. Hey, it works for ICQ, where everyone have unique UINs. Everyone can have the same names. You see the names in your ICQ client, but it really sends the messages according to the UINs behind the name.

I mean, my pet online project has a better system for that than what the devs revealed, and hey, I know almost nothing about database design! I sure hope this is just a temporal brain lapse from the devs.
 Sounds Risky
06-26-2002, 8:40 AM
Well if we have to have unique first names in the end, you can call me . . .

Abcdefg!
 JekRendar
06-26-2002, 11:37 AM
GAWD! Dont you ppl EVER go to the Official Forums were the Devs post DAILY!?! People have suggested that they may introduce 1. a Nick-Name System (ex. alias Billy Bob Joe = Setsuko) or 2. have a Friends list, that once you talk to people you have the option to add them to a nifty pop up menu.
 Koffin
06-26-2002, 7:34 PM
yeah right...these arent the official forums????

Hah...good one Jek...lol

next thing you know youll be trying to convince me that these people arent the Dev's....

hehe that would be funny, over 200 post and all for nothing,,,,,LOL

"Not the official forums"..hahaha...love it......thats a good one....
 setsuko
06-26-2002, 8:07 PM
Yeah, Koffin. Sheesh, what are these people? "This is not the official forum"? Ridiculous! :P
 Wraith 8
06-26-2002, 8:14 PM
hahahahhaa lol
 Gaelin Masek
06-27-2002, 2:10 AM
We're just getting dilusional now kids :p

Alright Jek perhaps they have said that but, they still had the incompetance to release this information. Surely they knew this would not please Gamers.

Why say your going to use a crap system and then state later you'll use a better one... one not just wow everybody with your amazing system and not worry us with the idea of everybody in the ENTIRE galaxy having a unique name.

You think Luke Skywalker was the only Luke?....
 FunClown
07-02-2002, 4:01 PM
I think I might just use the random name generator now. Hopefully the names won't be really stupid.
 Koenig
07-03-2002, 8:08 PM
The strange thing is that I can see why they did it.
Go through all the EU,games and films and find me 2 people with the first name.

Its scary but true, I can't find any, so therefore the Devs are only sticking the norm in the star wars universe.
 Triple R7x
07-04-2002, 3:24 AM
Koenig (SP?): Bail Organa; Bail Antillies...

:D
 setsuko
07-04-2002, 8:05 AM
There's quite a few Jan too.
 Sounds Risky
07-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Isn't there an Anakin in the books too?
 Wraith 8
07-04-2002, 2:48 PM
yes.. there is another anakin.. that is the name of the son of Leia and Han,... they say he is (was) another kind of balance maker (or at least that is what i thought of him when i read about him)
 Koenig
07-04-2002, 4:46 PM
hmm the Jan Dodonna/ors thing is a little silly

both the Bails are dead though at the time Galaxies is set
 Mandalorian iTi
08-02-2002, 1:29 AM
thats dumb, everyone has to have a dif. first name, now i could saee last name, but first name? WTF!:confused:
 Janzeke Khan
08-02-2002, 2:05 AM
I think the thing with Anakin Solo was that Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin would form a new hope for the Republic. Anakin being the final piece.
 Ewok Hunter
08-03-2002, 9:58 PM
Anakin solo was named after the anakin.
 Jan Gaarni
08-04-2002, 5:01 AM
Well, they did this in order to make it easier to send messages to people, you only have to type in the persons first name instead of the entire name.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I had to type "Matt Shoemaker" for instance to reach him.

The way it will be nao I got to be extremly early to get the name 'Jan' in my full name, IF they even allow it... :mad:
 Gaalgoth
08-04-2002, 2:10 PM
If someone takes Varan I will hunt them down repeatedly until they delete the character. They will be my bich.
 Thew Rydur
08-04-2002, 4:56 PM
Uhh ...yeah same goes for Thew.
 Jan Gaarni
08-04-2002, 5:47 PM
*writes in his notebook*
Va-ran ... and ... Th-ew....
There.

*walks out of thread*

hmmm-hm-hmm-hmm-hmmmm
 Wraith 8
08-04-2002, 6:20 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
*writes in his notebook*
There.

*walks out of thread*

hmmm-hm-hmm-hmm-hmmmm lol... you will be so dead....

well my plan was, if we could have more then one charachter... i was plabnning on making nephews....
but now that idea is in the water.
 Ewok Hunter
08-04-2002, 6:52 PM
even if they did allow multipule accounts, why would you divide your time like that Wraith? isn't it much funner to concentrate on one char and raise him untill he 'rulZ' everyone else ;)
 Thew Rydur
08-04-2002, 9:50 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
*writes in his notebook*
There.

*walks out of thread*

hmmm-hm-hmm-hmm-hmmmm

*Tackles Jan, takes the notebook, and then burns it.* :D
 Gaalgoth
08-04-2002, 10:10 PM
::kicks gaarni:: that's a bad gaarni! bad!
 Ewok Hunter
08-05-2002, 10:24 PM
might as well write a complaint letter (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73117) about him :D
 D@rth M@ul
08-06-2002, 1:11 AM
Originally posted by Koffin
yeah, well no one take my name, I been thinking it up for two weeks now.

Bob

Damn, I wanted bob, oh well.

I know what I can do, hah, I'll just use bob but backwards.

yep :D
 Ewok Hunter
08-06-2002, 1:15 AM
wouldn'tthat be a big-redneck yep ;)
 D@rth M@ul
08-06-2002, 1:27 AM
Exactly ;)

Your always browsing when I am....
 D@rth M@ul
08-06-2002, 1:32 AM
redneck lol.
 Ewok Hunter
08-06-2002, 8:57 PM
I just thought about something... If you are going to do black ops for one of the sides wouldn't you need a psudonym so that they won't be able to put a bounty on you without working on it a bit.
 RobBisec
08-19-2002, 7:17 PM
Yes that would be important. Either that or go into hiding.
 Ewok Hunter
08-19-2002, 7:30 PM
*thinking to self* hmm, should i put something about bumping dead topics in my sig? nah..

any way, the reason that wouldn't work Rob is that if your doing black ops you'd need to do more than one job to get enough experience to compleate any gigs, a green spy is a dead spy
 Wraith 8
08-20-2002, 7:04 AM
uhm.. there is nothing wrong with digging up an old topic ewok.. as long as you dont turn it into somthing else :D
 RobBisec
08-20-2002, 9:18 AM
This is confusing
 Wraith 8
08-20-2002, 4:31 PM
Originally posted by RobBisec
This is confusing uhmm what do you mean? you dug up an old threa... so stay on the topic and hope that someone replies.......
if not... dont bump the topic back up.
 RobBisec
08-24-2002, 1:05 AM
Aye! But I never know when Im bumping up a dead topic.
 Ewok Hunter
08-24-2002, 1:33 AM
well there are 2 ways to tell how old a topic is, you could look at the last colum which is titled last post or something liike that, or you could read your way through the thread and take note of the post date on the very last post. oh and the arrows next the titles of threads means something, don't ask me what though
 RobBisec
08-24-2002, 2:29 AM
ah.okay then.Ill do that.
 Wraith 8
08-26-2002, 5:36 AM
Hey it is ok to ask a question.. but like Ewok said.. you can see when the last post was posted... and if that was DAYS ago... you better open up a new topic and ask your questions there...... that way people will see you in a better light :D..
Page: 1 of 1