Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why doesn`t Grim Fandango have cheats ?

Page: 1 of 1
 Tyberius 555
06-26-2002, 12:27 AM
I think a game without cheats isnt really a real game,is it ?
if anyone has any coments on this i`ll be online at 10am +2:00 GTM and at 5pm -||- or if i`m not online send me e-mail at tyby555@yahoo.com
 Tall Guy
06-26-2002, 4:34 AM
this is what we call a message board. You can read peoples thoughts on the matter as they reply. ok?. good.

as for the cheats thing, i disagree with the view that games without cheats arnt really games. The fact that GF dosnt have cheats means that a great many people get a lot of enjoyment out of the game and dont resort to cheats when they get stuck. It means people actually have to think if they want to progress.

Many people use cheats in games and dont realise that they are destroying the game untill they've completed it and are sat there wondering what else they could have bought with 30 quid.

I think cheats are ok once the game has been completed so that you can fool around with the game and have a bit of extra fun, but when u aint completed the game its just a bit pointless. I mean you bought the game for entertainment and you are destroying that entertainment when you use cheats.

Perhaps cheat modes should only be unlocked when you complete a game, but i suppose someone would find a way to crack the game eventually.

I'm not saying GF would work with cheats anyway, i would rather it had no cheats at all (apart from the developer mode, but its hardly cheating.)
 GendoTheGreat
06-26-2002, 4:56 AM
Tall Guy speaks the truth. Fancy saying a game isn't a game without cheats! Dear god, I think I'm going to faint. Well not really. Anyway, when I played Grim I used a walkthrough at times becuase I'm lazy. It wasn't until I'd finished the game that I realised I had ruined the experience for myself. What do you want anyway? Its an adventure game!
 Tall Guy
06-26-2002, 7:15 AM
exactly, with an action game like Half-Life cheats tend to be ok when the game is complete as the game has a large replay value, so things can turn out differently when using cheats or not. But, with an adventure title, once you've used the cheats and wrecked the game thats it! replay value is small and theres often only one way of doing things. when you use a cheat/walkthrough to figure something out then you'll tend to always remember how you did someting so when you come to play the game again, there's no fun involved as you know what to do.
 MeddlingMonk
06-26-2002, 11:18 AM
And what on Earth would you need cheats for? Unlimited ammo? You've got that anyway. Manny can blast away at Hector forever (and miss every time).

I think our bridge-haunting friend's gaming experience is limited to shooters to have the opinion he does. If you take every game ever made into consideration, then those with cheats are a tiny minority.
 GendoTheGreat
06-26-2002, 1:59 PM
Originally posted by MeddlingMonk

Manny can blast away at Hector forever (and miss every time).

I have to say I much prefer your ending MeddlingMonk, where Manny gets to unload a few rounds into the fat bastard. Much more satisfying.
 Tall Guy
06-26-2002, 9:30 PM
heh, who sed that adventure titles had to be violence free?1 :P
 Tyberius 555
06-26-2002, 11:35 PM
confused: You know,if they wanted to improve the game the could of shown us how manny died before he got to the land od the dead.I think manny`s spanish,you know:he always sais Iholle,and all that jazz.
by the way I`m friends with andrei555,
could someone send me a private mesage if he knows he`s online.:D

:
 GendoTheGreat
06-27-2002, 12:03 AM
Yeah, his accent would lead you to assume he is Spanish. Or Mexican. As for how he died, is it really that important? After all, part of the story is the mystery behind Manny's former life. You know - what did he do to be stuck in the Land of the Dead as a reaper? Although... Did you ever play Curse of Monkey Island? They had a cute cameo of Manny as a desceased (chuckle) member of LeChuck's horde. I guess it was sort of an advertisement, though who knows, maybe it served doubly as a hint of Manny's former life for those sharp enough to make the connection. It would certainly explain why he deserved to be a reaper, pirates are not generally known for their bake sales and canned food drives.
 MeddlingMonk
06-27-2002, 11:52 AM
Tony Plana (the voice of Manny) is actually Cuban.

Gendo: Yeah, the 'hands-on' approach has a big appeal. :D
 xGrimx
06-27-2002, 2:24 PM
I agree on the cheat things, but I was thinking about a cheat that would have let us see all the characters 'human look' I think that would be kind of cool seing Manny with skin.
 GendoTheGreat
06-27-2002, 6:35 PM
Wouldn't that mean a whole lot more work for the developers? And think about the size and shape of Manny's head. Can you imagine what he would look like with skin and hair? :D
 Isis Kaldara
06-28-2002, 1:33 AM
Hmmm...

Some of my favorite quotes from Manny are his hispanic ones.

"ЎHнjole, Mano!"
(An exclamation not easily translated but used as "Oh my God" or "I can't believe it" or whatever, it is said in annoyance or surprise...either one)

"ЎEs peor que la muerte!"
(It's worse than death)

"ЎQue traes!"
(I forget what this one means ^^; )

"ЎPor favor!"
(Please)

I also like how he calls Glottis "Carnal." It means "Cousin" or "Fleshy" and can be used as our "Dude" is.

"I'm gonna grind you to powder for that, cabrуn!" is also cool. I forget what "cabrуn" is, though. ^^;
 GendoTheGreat
06-28-2002, 3:05 AM
I just love Manny in general. You know when think about it, it's amazing that a person can arrange a bunch of polygons and a recorded voice and turn them into something you can have real affection for, or even identify with. My second favourite would have to be Lupe, because I know someone just like her. Two people actually, they're twins.
 Isis Kaldara
06-28-2002, 3:34 AM
Manny's awesome, no way around it. My favs are:

Manny
Glottis
Toto
Salvador
Membrillo
(And the operator...She's funny.)
 GendoTheGreat
06-28-2002, 3:41 AM
Chepito is funny as hell. Bibi is so cute. I like Domino because he's cool. I even like Hector too, because he's a real bad-ass. You've gotta love a good bad-ass. Hey, that sounds like a song.
 Isis Kaldara
06-28-2002, 3:43 AM
Chepito was funny, but Bibi annoyed me to the edge. She was so...URGH! There isn't a word for her!

If manny wasn't my favorite character, Glottis would be. I LOVE Glottis! He's so awesome! I like his Rusty Anchor song.
 GendoTheGreat
06-28-2002, 3:55 AM
I really hate kids, so when I say a kid is cute (albiet a make-believe one in this case) believe me, it's something. I love Glottis's song as well. I also like listening to the version without the singing, it's a catchy tune. I nearly forgot about Nick the lawyer. He's cool too. I like the bit where Manny decks him.
 Isis Kaldara
06-28-2002, 4:03 AM
I'm iffy at Nick. Bibi and Pugsley were so annoying, though. URGH! I just wanna smash their heads together!

My favorite cutscene is the second-to-last one with Hector pulling the petals off the flower when Manny walks in. Manny's got some good dialogue there. ('Course, he's ALWAYS got good dialogue.)

Besides that one, I like the part when Manny finds Meche on the edge of the world.

"Prisoner? Where's your cell? Or are you just sharing a bunk with the warden?"

<WHACK!!>

That's so cool.
 GendoTheGreat
06-28-2002, 4:13 AM
The dialogue in this game is as sharp as a tack, thats for sure. My favourite cutscene was the one where Copal got done by Hector. Brutal and gratuitous, I love it. The greenhouse one was cool too. And of course, who could forget the opening sequence? Manny is so damn cool. And Meche. You have to love Meche.
 Isis Kaldara
06-28-2002, 4:24 AM
Meche's awesome! But, I think my most favorite quote (I'm not positive, though) out of the whole game is from Toto Santos:

"When I am done with Naranja here, I am going to tattoo big, floppy ears on the side of your head so people will know what a jackass you are!"

Haha! Gotta love Toto. Him and his "grumpy little dreams".

"Gracias, Toto Santos." ~Manny
 GendoTheGreat
06-28-2002, 4:39 AM
"All day long, Manny, I sort through pure sadness. I find evidence, and I piece together stories. But none of my stories end well, they all end here. And the moral of every story, is the same: We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later... we push up flowers."

-Membrillo
 Isis Kaldara
06-28-2002, 4:50 AM
I love Membrillo. Especially his old coroner joke.
 GendoTheGreat
06-28-2002, 6:33 AM
The first time I heard that joke it was an old doctors joke.
 Isis Kaldara
06-28-2002, 7:08 AM
Soo nan desu ka!
 King Andrei
06-28-2002, 4:55 PM
Originally posted by Tyberius 555
confused: You know,if they wanted to improve the game the could of shown us how manny died before he got to the land od the dead.I think manny`s spanish,you know:he always sais Iholle,and all that jazz.
by the way I`m friends with andrei555,
could someone send me a private mesage if he knows he`s online.:D

:

Hey, Tibi, wazzup dude?;) I see you registered here like I told you. By the way, don't forget to stop by EscapeMI.Com Forums, okay?;)

Everyone, I'd like you to meet Tibi! He's a friend of mine. We live in Bucharest in Romania. He's posting from an Internet Cafe.
 Darth Eggplant
07-04-2002, 4:34 PM
:jawa
EA Games
American McGee's Alice
a cross between a
(since we are playing Manny,
is this really a Role Playing game
or is that more like maybe Diablo?)
anyway
Alice is part storyline,
part mystery solving,
part Shooter *with Quake engine*
and for those who feel that way,
it has cheats.
In fact the Alice community
for the most part defunct now
have many active websites
still devoted to her.
It also provides easy access to
all the music
and some fans developed
MOD's or Skins for her.

That game is quite funny,
I recomend it.
I also liked EA Games
Undying by Clive Barker
(but not as much)
much of Undying was too linear
and if you missed something
you missed it.
also parts were too long
while other bits too short
and ending I felt was weak.
anyway this game has cheats
and is fun to play with
or without the cheats.

And most important
I agree with some views
expressed here.
Why would anyone want to spend
good money to finish a game
in three sittings?
It takes me weeks to play
and then I sometimes start
second game, just to go back
and relive the magic.

I was stranded on some of the
Islands in MYST for days and days
just because I thought they were pretty.
 GendoTheGreat
07-10-2002, 4:19 PM
I just finished GTA3. I thought I was only two thirds or so through it and it ended, just when it was getting really cool. I caught up with Catalina of course, but I didn't get to kill her directly, I blew her up in a helicopter. All that crap just to blow up a damn helicopter. I wanted to put a bullet in that bitch's head myself, or at least stab her in the throat or something like that. Ah well, it was a good game anyway. Not great, but good.
 Isis Kaldara
07-17-2002, 5:33 AM
*Clears throat and speaks her newly-found most favorite quote from Grim Fandango:*

"You smell like bacon and oppression, man!" ~Slisko
Page: 1 of 1