Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Skirmish Mode Question

Page: 1 of 1
 sheared
03-24-2000, 2:09 PM
Okay, I've only played a couple skimishes, but I've got a question about the enemy.
Does it cheat?

Reason I ask, is that I start out constantly bringing down nothing but troops, and searching the area for bunkers to capture. But then 4-5 minutes into the game, the enemy rushes me with at least as many troops as I've brought down PLUS many vehicles. And he doesn't seem to scout me out, it just seems to start as an all out, full frontal assault.

Another question, when your scout discovers a bunker, why doesn't it stay marked on the map? I find the bunker, but then have to spend time running around with troops to locate it again. Sure buildings can change between scout trips, but at least mark the last known locations.

Even another question. How do you hold on to bunkers? Since I can only put 2 troops in there, I try to keep several troops outside the bunker (since those inside can't seem to fire out of there) along with a couple of different vehicles, but when the enemy onslaught comes, a constant stream of troops eventually overpowers the bunker, and usually my troops outside get wiped out also. Should I assume that's going to be a strike point for the enemy and keep a constant flow of reinforcements? I'd sure like to hear how others approach this.
 The Rifter
03-24-2000, 5:19 PM
The AI is a little goofy. I don't THINK it cheats... all that much. I think it knows where the bunkers are, and immediately goes after them. I found a little "trick" for winning. Find the enemy base just after the game starts, and capture it. (you would be surprised by the lack of Defense). Then, build up troops, while he can't bring anything in, and keep up pressure on all the new bases that will come down. (there will be a bunch). That is a little cheat I have found to win :-)

As for playing normally, I really don't think the AI cheats much. Like I said, I think it knows where the bunkers are, but that is it.
 larylich
03-27-2000, 8:55 PM
The AI does seeem to know where the the bunkers are... I have found that a good mix of defences (such as mortars) will keep the enemy at by. BUT, if you are using a tactic of waiting to get a big force, YOU WILL ALWAYS get overwhelmed. So be proactive and and strike hard.

Bunkers are lost in the fog of war. Just seems to be the way the game works.
 TerrorMaroon
04-27-2000, 4:54 PM
Is it always just a variation of the same skirmish scenario and conditions? Other than different corners for the starting location, I'm always running the Rebels side. I would think that it would be possible to run the Empire side.
Page: 1 of 1