Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

This one puzzle just won't work for me

Page: 1 of 1
 Obnavox
06-19-2002, 11:47 AM
I've had Grim Fandango for several years and last year I got pretty far in it. I keep getting stuck here, http://www.gamespot.com/features/grim_gg/edg.html) When I try to free Meche, I can't figure out that puzzle on the steel door with the tumblers. My nefew could do it on his slow computer, he said it's too hard cuz my computer is too fast. My computer is a 700mhz P3, 384 SDRAM, ATI All In Wonder 8500 DV. Well I was wondering if anyone has any tips on beating this or even better where I can get a gamesave that is right after this puzzle.
 Tall Guy
06-19-2002, 6:15 PM
First get the patch here: ftp://ftp.lucasarts.com/patches/pc/Gfupd101.exe

The patch fixes problems associated with faster machines.

If you still cant do it with the patch installed are you sure you're doing it right? You need to line up the flat edges of the tumblers up (I think its to the right)and then use your scythe on the door, then pull the handle to get inside.
 Obnavox
06-20-2002, 5:37 AM
Yeah I have the patch, I started a new game though. I hate it when you email tech support at lucasarts and it's an automated message. One time I specifically said, "I have the newest patch." And what's the first thing they tell me to do? Download the patch.
 MeddlingMonk
06-20-2002, 10:11 AM
My computer specs are similar to yours. There's no speed issue with the tumblers. Tall Guy is telling you what you need. And he's right: the flat sides of the tumblers face right. If you want, I can send you a screeshot of the correct alignment (I've found it clears up a lot of confusion).
 Obnavox
06-20-2002, 11:21 AM
Sure that'd be great.
 Tall Guy
06-20-2002, 5:59 PM
I didnt think there was any speed problem with the tumblers, kinda odd that that you couldnt do it but its always better to make sure u have the patch installed too.

quite a lot of people get stuck on this bit of the game.
 Isis Kaldara
06-28-2002, 5:02 AM
Um, if it isn't the patch, do you suppose you just aren't doing it right? It took me forever to figure out that you line them all up straight on the right side, then stick your scythe in it and then open the door. I think it took me three hours to figure out that I had to use the scythe.
 Obnavox
07-10-2002, 6:14 AM
I was able to do it on my first try because I used my keyboard instead of the gamepad. It's still a stupid puzzle to put it. This is probably still my second favorite adventure game behind Discworld.
 Tall Guy
07-10-2002, 7:14 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:
Page: 1 of 1