Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

WarCraft MMORPG

Page: 1 of 1
 Gamma732
09-02-2001, 10:26 AM
Well, its been announced. Blizzard's huge unnanounced project is World of WarCraft. I just need to say how dissappointed I am with this. Its not the huge, revolutionary, ground breaking project I felt Blizzard made it out to be. Its more of the same, just 'different'. I think Blizzard has only made RTS games, with the only exception being Diablo and Diablo 2. And now their going into an MMORPG? They've never made one. And I'm betting that a lot of people are thinking 'Its Blizzard, so it must be good.' I doubt it will be very good at all. Aside from that, it doesn't even sound very original. Its a MMORPG, pay-for-play, nothing new. The only difference between this and the other medieval-fantacy-based RPG's is the fact is that its WarCraft. Ooo WoW, big deal. (excuse the poor attempt at a pun ;) )
I know there are some Blizzard fans out there aside from me, so are any of you guys as utterly dissappointed as me?
 Tie Guy
09-02-2001, 1:48 PM
I tend to think more along the lines of "It's blizzard, so it must be late"

Anyways, have to noticed thay every company that has tried a MMORPG has failed misserably. The only thing that kept some on them alive was the giantous patches you had to download. I figure that WoW will be the same, and glaxies too probably.

But.....i'm not that dissapointed coz i wasn't really looking forward to it. If i'm gonna waste my money on a MMORPG i'm gonna waste it on Galaxies. :D
 Kvan
09-02-2001, 2:52 PM
Yeah if I'm going to waste money on a MMORPG, its going to be on something I love and know a lot about, like SW. I'm not going to be spending money on another Fantasy MMORPG. I'm really disapointed that it wasn't SC2 :(
 Gamma732
09-02-2001, 7:28 PM
I know I probably sound like I'm just mad because it wasen't SC2. No. I didn't even really expect it to be SC2. Blizzard flat out said "No SC2 yet" a while ago. I'm just mad because I was expecting something.....more. Like Tie said, most companies that have tried MMORPG's have failed. All of Blizzards games have been essentially from the same perspective. WC, SC, and Diablo are all from the top down point of view, and their gameplay has been pretty much point and click. An MMORPG is more then the point and click action of Diablo. IMO Blizzard has little experience with this kind of thing, and I have a feeling this is going to be Blizzard's first big failure.

Yeah, I know I'm probably in a very small majority on that opinion :mob:
 Lord JayVizIon
09-02-2001, 9:26 PM
yes, you are in a very small minority:D . starcraft is still to me one of the best rts games i've played, and the idea of how air units can attack i think is being used by swgb as well. even gaber said it himself that he'd look at either RA2 or SC if he didn't have the AoK engine...
 Tie Guy
09-02-2001, 10:49 PM
Well, i'm with you gamma, every company has a failure at some point, this could be blizzards, but then they will go back to making good games, and they might try another MMORPG and it might be good that time.
 Gamma732
09-02-2001, 11:05 PM
Well, aside form Blizz needing a failure(Look at the hype for WoW. Was it worth it? No. Are the fans happy? From what I've seen, No.), I think this was a bad business decision. Persoanlly I've never been too crazy about WC. I know there are a lot of die hard Blizz fans out there that like everything they've made, but a good portion of their fanbase likes one of their 3 games, not all of them. By making their next 2 titles, which will probably take them absorb at least the next two years, only WarCraft, their ostracizing a nice sized portion of their fanbase. I'm not mad its not SC2, I'm mad its not the huge, new, revolutionary game that they've hyped it up to be. It is NOT new! It doesn't look to be very revolutionary(However, in the area of MMORPG's just being successful can be considered revolutionary, as many fail miserably). They hyped it way too much and I bet they're dissappointing a lot of their fans.
Page: 1 of 1