Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Paging Isaac at the front lobby...

Page: 1 of 1
 SyntheticGerbil
06-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Isaac, would you have any links to legitimate information between the true biological differences between the male and female gender? I don't want anything to do with standards like "guys always have to show off," "guys only think with their penis," or my favorite "girls are smarter and have much more grace than the opposite gender." Just straight facts is what I need. And if the true differences are mostly mysterious, anything you can provide me with is alright too.

You know things. I know that you know things. Now you know that I want to know what you possibly already know. We're a very knowledgable forum.
 iisaac
06-10-2002, 8:46 AM
Obviously you mean male and female homo sapiens, because if you mean male and female in the entire animal kingdom, you've got another thing coming.
Funny you should restrict yourself to biological differences, because sociological differences are much more interesting. If you were dealing with the social aspects, I'd suggest Manwatching by Desmond Morris as a start.
There's an important English lesson (http://www.bartleby.com/64/C005/010.html) to be had before we continue. Bartleby are putting it gently, but I rather out with it: "Gender" refers to the grammatical categories of masculine, feminine, and neuter, while "sex" refers to the biological categories of male and female. I would deem any other use as incorrect. However, writers try to appeal to the general audience, which doesn't like reading the word "sex".
I'm back to biology. There are plenty of good answers in The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Human Evolution (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521467861). This book has all you need at the introductory level. Whether or not you read the book, you should not search online. I could find no good articles about the subject.
I'd like to sit here and type a 60-page work of anything I could think of that relates to biological differences between men and women, but I don't have all the references at hand, and more importantly, I'm not getting anything out of it. Otherwise, I believe sociology will help you understand human behavior much better than evolutionary psychology. They both give the same answers, but sociology is much more straightforward, scientific, and applicable.
 sheaday6
06-10-2002, 1:19 PM
oh yeah? well ... well, I read Harry Potter
 YTtheMighty
06-10-2002, 1:37 PM
wow...if I had something profound to say I forgot it while I was reading tht pink mass of words... Sometimes when I fall asleep I wonder what does it all mean, I mean when you get down to it why are we here, why is anyone here, not just in this forum, but on the planet. If you are still reading I applaud you on you presistance. We are all just zombies in a cosmic game of Doom waiting to be cut in half by a chaingun, or trampled by a cyberdeamon... onetime I wore a hat that hert my head, this deep state of thinking is causeing a similer discompfort...

:explode:
 SyntheticGerbil
06-10-2002, 2:22 PM
Thanks... before I make a trip to the library...

Does that book focus much on the theory of evolution or does it give more straightfoward facts on what we know right now rather than what could lead to what we know?

As for sociology, although I'm taking a class on it next year, it's social standards that I'm looking to see through with the basic biological instincts and such. Could be interesting enough, but my heart isn't into it right now.
 iisaac
06-10-2002, 7:02 PM
The encyclopedia contains everything you might expect. If you still don't find what you desire, you can sift through the humungous Human-Nature.com (http://human-nature.com/) for more specific details. This site links to a wide variety of narrow-scoped articles. This is not good for people who want a first grasp at the whole subject. Quality is generally low, since the articles are from the mass media. It's a shame that anthropology doesn't have a greater presence online.
I had something to say about online forums and my creep into forced creativity, but another thing came into consideration. I couldn't take the medium any longer, which led me to stop writing. The last time I did a similar exercise was when I quit reading online comics (or comics otherwise) because I felt they're unconvincing, predictable, and unimaginative. Continuing that trend, anything that's "online" is getting devalued to me. I think it was obvious from the beginning that I don't like being online. I think the internet is best left for me as a research tool. That's how I enjoy it. This isn't news to you; it isn't news to me. But after telling you for a long time what I feel about you, I thought it would be interesting to tell you what I feel about me, at least on the confined subject of internet forums. Right now I'm getting the feeling that I'll be looking for a new place to dwell, in search of a place with better sound of silence. To my experience it would take me a month or two. Long goodbyes are melodramatic. I hate that.
Page: 1 of 1