Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

I Found DedServ's In A JK uni File!

Page: 1 of 1
 AnDeRs
06-19-2000, 10:01 PM
Thats right folks, i dunno if anyone has ever found this before but i thought it was really really interesting but here it is anyhow:

JKGUINETHOST.C

"GUI_CLIENTSERVER" 0 "Enable Client/Server"
"GUI_CLIENTSERVER_HINT" 0 "Run networking in client-server mode"

are the lines that might interest you. there's a prompt and a line that looks like a client server option which we all know jk does NOT have. I found this in the res1 gob not the res2 and its jkstrings not sithstrings or any other stupid as uni file you might dig up on yer own. its under the multiplayer options section. This leads me to wonder what the hell happened to this option because we all know that it would have allowed fer dedicated servers in JK! uni file came right off the cd. this might mean that they had originally intended to put ded servs in, or that they had attempted to and ran out of time. if the latter is true, then that could mean that there's a half complete option fer ded servers in jk! it might be illegal, but an ambtitious editor might just want to finish the code and post the thing as a mod. ive never actually looked at the netcode so i can't tell yah, but mebe someone with a lil more exp in that department than me could help us all out and check. thats all i had to offer, please respond quickly, cause im interested as all get out in this possibly irelevant discovery, if it hasnt already been discovered =P.

Lucky/anders
 Kurgan
06-28-2000, 10:18 PM
Enabling it would probably involve reverse engineering the code, which would be illegal... but it's too bad.

However, LEC could do it.. but it seems doubtful they will, anytime soon. : (

I wish...

Kurgan
 Jedi Kenobi
06-29-2000, 6:57 AM
I'm stupid, so could you explain what this means?
 Argath
06-29-2000, 4:44 PM
Enabling a dedicated server option would most likely require someone to disassemble the executable, search through a few thousand lines of uncommented, incoherent source, figure out how to modify the game to operate for client/server rather than peer-to-peer networking, and then distribute the newly compiled executable to everyone on the internet who has the game. Not only would it be illegal and probably extremely unstable, but attempting to modify a game like that after disassembling it is practically impossible.

[This message has been edited by Argath (edited June 29, 2000).]
 ReAcToR
07-02-2000, 5:45 AM
Interesting find AnDeRs. It would be a great thing to acquire dedicated server support for Jedi Knigh/MotS, but yes, it would be highly illegal.

If LEC did however begin to create the option, and had abandoned it for some reason, maybe they got even further with the code than we expected. If we could get places like Jedi Knight to host a petition(which has been done before), then possibly one day they will release a patch or soemthing for deds.

------------------
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
MaRa "ReAcToR" JaDe
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
http://darkclan.clanpages.com)
¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
Page: 1 of 1