Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Were the games selling poorly?

Page: 1 of 1
 hncalavera
06-01-2002, 11:37 PM
It would be pretty sad if Escape From Monkey Island was the last adventure game LucasArts put out. According to Amazon.com, Grim Fandango is #151 on the best selling games list, which is pretty damn good for a game that's nearly four years old. So I can't imagine why they wouldn't continue putting out new games, unless the profit just wasn't there. Ugh, get with it, LucasArts. Quit beating the Star Wars horse to death.
 MeddlingMonk
06-01-2002, 11:55 PM
Man, are you out of the loop. (No offense meant.) Obviously you haven't been paying attention to the changes going on at LEC since Simon Jeffrey attacked. They announced eight games at E3 this year: four Star Wars and four not SW...which is the ratio Jeffrey promised when he took over two years ago. There was also a ninth game announced (but not demo'ed at E3): Full Throttle II.
 hncalavera
06-02-2002, 5:32 AM
That's great news! I haven't found any references to that news on this site... and I guess I don't really check many other gaming news sites.... do you have a link for an article about that? How many of the other games other than Full Throttle II are adventure games?
 Tall Guy
06-02-2002, 12:15 PM
check out mixnmojo.com (http://www.mixnmojo.com) for all the details :)

btw, how does a brand new Indy game grab ya?!
 MeddlingMonk
06-02-2002, 1:18 PM
And pay particular attention to the interview with Simon Jeffrey. He drops some interesting hints about the future.

And speaking about new LEC adventure games...it was rumored a few months ago that they had two adventures in the works: one original and one a sequel. Obviously FT2 must be the sequel. As for the original one, the rumor could be wrong on that score, or the game is too early in the development cycle to be announced, or it's RTX Red Rock (which I hope it isn't).

You should also keep an eye on Adventure Gamers (http://www.adventuregamers.com/) for more general news.
 hncalavera
06-02-2002, 4:31 PM
Thanks for the links. Can't wait to see the fruits of SJ's new direction. I hope Full Throttle II isn't TOO heavy on the action, but I'm not complaining.
 Gabez
06-04-2002, 5:30 PM
Yeah, things are certainly looking better for adventure gamers. On top of that many other developers haven't abandoned the genre, with Funcom (I think) making The Longest Journey, for instance. I've also heard of a lot of other companies starting to make aadventure games, but we'll have to wait and see if any of these are any good or not.

In additon other games are using adventure elements. Last I heard Unreal 2 was going to have a dialogue system like in most adventure games, where you choose what to say. I personally can't wait for FT2, despite what people are saying about the graphical style.
 Tall Guy
06-04-2002, 8:44 PM
yeah i heard a lot of people complaining that the style was a bit 'cartoony' but i guess a lot of the adventure titles from LEC are. They have that 'look' about them.
 MeddlingMonk
06-04-2002, 11:52 PM
Sure. I mean, have the people who claim that FT2 looks 'too cartoony' ever played the original? Do they really think any living person could have a head shaped like Ben's? Was Maniac Mansion photorealistic? :rolleyes: I really don't get what there is to complain about. I believe it's really just a kneejerk reaction to the unfamiliar.
 hncalavera
06-06-2002, 1:05 AM
Do you know if FT2 will use the Grim Fandango engine, or will it go back to SCUMM. I imagine they'll use the GF engine since that's friendlier to the consoles, though I wasn't terribly impressed by character animation in EMI (In GF, of course, it worked much better).
 Metallus
06-06-2002, 1:26 AM
I'm sure that they'll have made some modifications to whatever they use to include better action capabilities, but will be otherwise playable like GF and EMI. It will probably some offspring of LUA or something.
 MeddlingMonk
06-08-2002, 12:07 AM
I'm guessing Lua, too. As if anyone could tell from a trailer made of cutscene material. :D
 Tall Guy
06-08-2002, 9:34 AM
yeah it was shame LEC didnt have any playable material at E3, although the game s still in the early stages, and im sure its gonna be great anyway!
Page: 1 of 1