Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Question about Comics and books

Page: 1 of 1
 Janzeke Khan
06-01-2002, 2:58 AM
Ok Do they actually link with the Movies? Are they part of the real story?
 Koffin
06-01-2002, 3:18 AM
Everything is on par with the starwars universe. Any licensed product that is.

This includes games, comics, books, and even the old stories you can find in the adventure supplements for westend's SW RPG.

All licensed products must follow strict guidelines about what and how they put something into the SW universe.
 Janzeke Khan
06-01-2002, 3:22 AM
So....Then If it Is agianst the Jedi code to fallin love/ make babys then why does KI-Adi-Mundi have like 7 wives?
 Koffin
06-01-2002, 12:42 PM
Dont know.......

After RoTJ, when Luke rebuilds the Jedi Order, every one of them has family.

Good qestion though....
 Com Raven
06-01-2002, 1:14 PM
Is it really against the code ??
 gavor
06-03-2002, 1:59 AM
Wrong answer.

The books, comics, RPG supplements, card games, pencil cases etc etc DO NOT form part of the official Star Wars story (referred to as being canon). Nothing is considered canon except the movies. Everything else is approved but Geoge Lucus doesnt consider anything to be a part of his story except the movies. I once said the extended universe stuff was good but in general he considered it to be happening in a parallel universe (i wish i could find that article again.)

A lot of people enjoy the EU and it's a good source of background material, but it's not part of the real SW story. Anything in the EU material can be and has been contradicted by George.

And thats the official answer.
 Koffin
06-03-2002, 3:38 AM
Originally posted by gavor
Wrong answer.

The books, comics, RPG supplements, card games, pencil cases etc etc DO NOT form part of the official Star Wars story (referred to as being canon). Nothing is considered canon except the movies. Everything else is approved but Geoge Lucus doesnt consider anything to be a part of his story except the movies. I once said the extended universe stuff was good but in general he considered it to be happening in a parallel universe (i wish i could find that article again.)

A lot of people enjoy the EU and it's a good source of background material, but it's not part of the real SW story. Anything in the EU material can be and has been contradicted by George.

Ahh but G Lucas himself, steps in and gives specific guidelines to extended universe projects so that it will fit into his timeline. For example, remember the Star Wars Adventure Journel? Contained many short stories set in the Star Wars Universe. The man himself gave specific intructions about what could and couldnt be written. One set of instructions was that no writer could touch on the origins of Vader or the Emperor. He forbid them to include anything about how they met. He may not always agree about where a story goes, but he does call the shots on content.

Look into what all goes into the process of selecting a writer for the Star Wars novels. A writer is approached, he is given a guideline about what to include. He is prettty much told what happens in his books by a group of folks that do nothing but insure the SW continuity. All the writer does is communicate with us his vision of the story he was told.

I stand by my answer.

However, your reading to deeply into my reply. The question was directed to the relation of SWuniverse, and SWmovies. All licensed products are nothing more then a continuation into the Universe that the movies themselves created. To the best of my knowledge, any conflict within the continuity has been attributed to errors rather than flat out contradictions to what G Lucas had in mind.

Anything in the EU material can be and has been contradicted by George.

If you claim its official, show me.
Ill be the first to admit Im wrong,
but Id like to see that first.
 Koffin
06-03-2002, 5:23 AM
K, found what I was looking for.

George Lucas has publicly said he doesn't want to make any sequel films that would follow ROTJ. And if he did, it would not be based on any of the novels.

He also set guidelines for T Zahn in his Heir to the Empire series, that the new novels must take place a certain amount of years after ROTJ, giving himself a cution for further creation.

If Lucas does ever make sequals to the original trilogy, he will have plenty of room to fit the story within the ongoing continuity.

All guidelines and insurances of continuity are regulated by Lucas companies in which he is the Chairman of the Board. He has control over what is allowed as far as content on ALL license products.

So, to readdress the question:

Ok Do they actually link with the Movies? Are they part of the real story?

All licensed products are a part of, or a continuation of, the universe described within the movies. This following has earned the name of Expanded Universe, or EU.

All stories, characters, locations, and histories developed and created within this EU are done with the approval and recognition of George Lucas.
 setsuko
06-03-2002, 10:07 AM
I consider it a very personal issue. If you want to denounce it all, and say that "nothing but the movies are OK to me!", then go ahead, I won't stop you. Myself, i consider the comics and books a part of the SW universe, and I enjoy it. After all, doing that means that I have so much more SW universe to enjoy, compared to only the movies.

So yes, in my world, Luke turned dark side in the Dark Empire saga, the Rogue Squadron exists, and so on. After all, I think the new movies are close to dustbin material, while the comics and books keeps on amazing me. That's good enough a reason for me. Lucas might have built a superb universe, but I am not sure I consider him the best portraitist of it anymore.
 Jan Gaarni
06-03-2002, 12:51 PM
Official doesn't mean cannon, Gavor.

Anything that has the Lucas Licensing printed on them are official, however, they are not cannon. Which means, when analysing SW, movies take presedence over anything else.

... but it's not part of the real SW story.

And the real Star Wars story takes place within a time frame of less then 50 years. Plenty of time left to create SW supplements. :)

But I agree, the EU is happening in a parallell univers, but it is still closely knit to the movies.

And I still haven't seen any contraditions worth mentioning.

Some fool over at the Station tried to argue that the lightsaber of Mace had wrong color in the EU (blue). :rolleyes: Picky picky. :D
 Janzeke Khan
06-03-2002, 4:00 PM
Well that's a dumb thing to say if the guy noticed most of the Jedi's Light sabers changed in colors. They mearly changed there crystals. I know I would have loved seeing Plo Koon with his Yellow blade and Saesee Tiin with his Purple Blade. By the way does anyone know if Plo Koon Died in eps 2, I know he was only in three scenes in the movie. But I'm not sure who was on that attack ship that got shot down when they where fallowing Dooku.
 Com Raven
06-04-2002, 12:42 PM
I am pretty sure Plo Koon wasn't on the cannon boat, and he didn't die as far as I know...
 Darth Simpson
06-04-2002, 2:09 PM
Ah, the famous canon debate. Here's a quote I really enjoy.

The Star Wars Canon Debate; you do realise you're arguing that one set of FICTION is more "real" or less "real" than another set of FICTION.

Thanks goes to jp-30 for the quote. =)
 Koffin
06-04-2002, 3:07 PM
Originally posted by Darth Simpson
Ah, the famous canon debate. Here's a quote I really enjoy.

Thanks goes to jp-30 for the quote. =)

Hey, I like that.....if you see him, thank him for us...Ill have to use that one.
 gavor
06-04-2002, 10:55 PM
If you love the EU stuff and consider it a part of SW that fine by me. :) I just dont recognise it as SW canon and thats where I base my SW opinions.

I do deviate a little when it comes to background material on movie events and characters. The external source material for that is helpful and informative, but characters such as Thrawn and the Clone Emperor never existed as far as my SW universe is concerned. :)
 gavor
06-04-2002, 10:58 PM
Oh i forgot. Well researched Koffin. :max: (tried to find a thumbs up but couldnt, so you get a Max instead)
Page: 1 of 1