Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

End of Game

Page: 1 of 1
 Midge
05-28-2000, 11:20 AM
Hi all. I'm finally done. I think the ending was a bit of a let-down. I just kept pushing the baddie until he fell into the hole. It wasn't hard at all. In fact I think that was the easiest part of all. Thanks all for the help. I need a suggestion on what to play now. What's good? Did anybody else think the ending was too easy?
 Darth_Simpson
05-28-2000, 1:33 PM
Yep, the ending is pretty easy when you know how to push Darth Maul into the pit. I beat him with my lightsaber, and even that could have been WAY harder. Killed him on the first try!

What kinda games do you play? SW games? Play Jedi Knight, but you probably already have that. Check out X-Wing Alliance, Rogue Squadron, Unreal Tournament ( i know it is not a SW game, but it is DAMN good ) or perhaps Starcraft. These are my fave games!
 Midge
05-28-2000, 3:31 PM
Thanks for the info. I haven't played Jedi Knoght yet. Is it similar to TPM? I'm really waiting for the Star Trek game to come out. I think it's going to be awhile yet. Star Trek Deep Space Nine The Fallen. I've read the previews on it. It looks good. But then I'm a Trekker from way back.
 Darth_Simpson
05-28-2000, 5:10 PM
Get Jedi Knight! It is a FPS with a lightsaber! And no, it is not very similiar to TPM. If you want a similiar game and have a Playstation, get Jedi Power Battles, but be sure to test it first. I think it is a good game, but a lot of others dont, like all the reviews on the net http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif) But it is very good! If you have no Playstation you could always use an emulator you know http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif) But then you would have to have a good PC, like over 300 Mhz, but you probably have that!

And Star Trek?? Man, I just hate Deep Space 9. Some of those old episodes with William Shatner were good, but the new ones are crap. There is a new game called Klingon Academy which looks pretty good. I havent played it yet though http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif)
 Master Qui-Gon
05-28-2000, 9:19 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">Definitely try Jedi Knight. It pretty cool. Though it didn't hold my interest enough for me the play the MOTS levels, it was a pretty good game and everyone seems to like it.

JPB? It has good character control, with lots of moves, and it has decent graphics (for a PSX game) but is loaded with absolutely mindless Super Mario Brothers crap. All that crazy bouncing around and going back to the beginning every time you die... glitches that make you restart the level... and the lightsaber's about as powerful as a stick from the backyard (until you get the ultimate saber, but that takes forever). At least the glitches in TPM were fun because you can save anywhere in the game.

But a lot of people like that sort of thing, so if you have a PSX you might want to try it. Otherwise you're probably better off sticking to PC games.

Simpson, you hate DS9? I've never liked DS9 either, but when I look at shows I hate (Friends, Touched by an Angel, Party of Five, 90210, Fraser and all those stupid sitcoms, ER and all those other melodramatic real life dramas, etc.) suddenly DS9 doesn't seem so bad.

I mostly stick to movies. Genuinely good television shows are few and far between.
The Next Generation and The Simpsons are the only shows I can think of off the top of my head that I can say I really like. There may be a few others, but not many. Most things on TV are just sub-par movies.

------------------
http://fan.starwars.com/Fishsticks/files/Jedi3.jpg)
Master Qui-Gon, Jedi Master
Always remember, your focus determines your reality.
 Darth_Simpson
05-28-2000, 9:37 PM
So very true! DS9 seems good when compared to ER and the likes of it. The shows I really like is South Park and The Simpsons! They are both cartoons, because I do not like "real-life" shows. If you want to experiance a real life, just go outside, that is my motto!

BTW, has anyone seen Gladiator yet??

And I also think JPB is fun regardless of all the annoying bugs. Midge, if you have a Dreamcast, wait a few months and get JPB for Dreamcast instead. They should have sorted out all the bugs by then, and the graphics will be vastly improved of course, due to the DC`s graphical capability!
 Master Qui-Gon
05-28-2000, 10:55 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">Oh yes absolutley, I forgot South Park.

I'm with you on those real life shows-- even if they are done well. Life can be unpleasant enough, I've no need to watch it on television.
 Darth_Simpson
05-29-2000, 5:11 AM
Life can be unpleasant, but in most cases it is not!

Where do you live Qui??

The only other shows I sometimes watch, are nature programs. Ever seen The Crocodile Hunter?? Its the funniest show ever! It has a CRAZY Australian going around catching crocodiles! He has also appeared on South Park, the episode with The Prehistoric Iceman!
 Kurgan
05-29-2000, 9:53 PM
JK is far superior to JPB in every possible way.. so check it out!

Well okay, so JK only has a few two player coop levels, but hey, it has Episode I addons too, so if you just like that sort of thing, you can do that too. ; )

Get JK along with the full version of MOTS, and I think it's only $15 total. Not bad at all. Should run great on just about any system too.

Kurgan
 Darth_Simpson
05-30-2000, 5:19 AM
Where can I get those Coop levels, Kurgan? Massassi perhaps? Ill try and find them!
 Master Qui-Gon
05-30-2000, 4:21 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">I didn't know JK had coop levels.
 Master Qui-Gon
05-30-2000, 4:24 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">I live in Maryland.

You're right, sometime life can be pleasant. But when it isn't I sure don't want to watch somebody else's wonderful (fictional) life, just like I don't want someone (fictional) unpleasantness ruining my good mood. Call me a grump if you must.

My favorite TV show (if you consider it one-- it was BBC) is Mony Python's Flying Circus.

I think I've seen bits of The Crocodile Hunter, though I didn't know that's what it was called. From what I've seen, you're right- that guy is nuts. Is he that same guy that also chases after snakes and stuff, or is that some other crazy Australian guy?

------------------
 Zanzibar
05-30-2000, 5:42 PM
ARRRRGGGHHHHHH Stinking Force Push Bug. We knew about that bug, worked on it, and we all thought that got fixed. If you force push him IMMEDIATELY, then you can get him off his AI, and therefore push him into the pit. Once he makes a move or two, an anti-force push flag gets kicked in, and you can't push him anymore. D'OH.
 Master Qui-Gon
05-30-2000, 6:41 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">Once he walks away to throw that box-thingy at you, you can't push him anymore. I could be wrong, but I think that bug got fixed on the PSX version.

It's kind of stupid anyway. Why would a Force push suddenly not work? You guys coulda just programed Maul to jump away from the pit if he got too close. That's what they did on JPB (one of only a few differences that I think was better than on TPM).
 Zanzibar
05-30-2000, 8:20 PM
Simple bug; DM was never supposed to be "Pushed". He would REACT to getting force pushed, but not actually MOVED, much the same way that Qui-Gon reacts in the movie when Maul thumps him in the face, right before DM impales him on his sabre.

That fix was in, but (I guess) was never tested to check if you pushed him immediately. There's a part in the AI where we thought was the initial "startup" sequence for Maul's AI, and that's where we put the flag to disable Force Push movement. As it turned out, he actually started up in a different mode, and then moved into the "fixed" mode right after the fight starts. So, if you Force Push him immediately, you can break him http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif)
 Darth_Simpson
05-30-2000, 9:08 PM
Qui-Gon, yes, he chases snakes and other animals too, and I just laugh out loud every time I see him. He is so freaking nuts!

And pushing Darth Maul off the edge is really lame. You should beat him with the saber, and show him who is da man! I tried to push him off the edge one time, but then I got no duel and was very disappointed. It was just to easy!
 Darth_Simpson
05-30-2000, 9:13 PM
I thought Force Push was going to give me an advantage the first time i fought Darth Maul. Then I discovered he dindn`t move, he just stopped for a while. I thought I might have a chance to hit him while he just stood there, but the animation for Force Push took so much time that Maul began moving again right after the animation was finished. Oh well, I beat him anyway!
 Master Qui-Gon
05-30-2000, 10:00 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">Simpson:I keep waiting to hear reports of that guy's untimely demise. Sooner or later there's not going to be anyone around to suck the venom out of his buttocks.

You sound a wee bit defensive Zanzibar. Besides, I think bugs give a game character. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say bugs define the game. All games have them, it's just a matter of knowing where to look.

Yeah the end wasn't too tough, but this was more of an adventure game than an action game anyway, and you can find challenge wherever you choose (for me it was finding ways to kill Maul before the end battle).
 Darth_Simpson
05-31-2000, 4:49 AM
Yep, some croc will bite his head off some day, im sure of it!

I would love to see more games like TPM. With the action, the adventure and everything. It was just a lovely combination!
 Master Qui-Gon
05-31-2000, 1:15 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">That must be the reason I still play it, while JK and JPB (already) have been dancing with the dust bunnies.
 Zanzibar
05-31-2000, 5:50 PM
Yeah, I think I am defensive. I really loved this game, loved working on it, loved playing it, and at the same time I know it disappointed a lotta people. At the time, I really expected that we were gonna wow everybody, and truth be told, I still don't know why TPM got hammered in the reviews as badly as it did. I still think more than a little of everyone's distaste for TPM is rooted in the disappointment that many people felt for the Episode 1 movie itself.

I've said it before, a lot of people expected Star Wars to have grown up with them. They saw the original Star Wars movies when they were much younger, and when their tastes became richer and more complicated, they thought the Episode 1 movie would follow them. In fact, Ep1 was tailor-made for children to enjoy, and the bewildered original SW fans (yes, some of whom are hardcore gamers and game reviewers )were left to trashing the SW franchise any way they could - which included TPM.

That said, I totally agree with many of the points that people have made about TPM. The camera angle often allowed enemies to fire at you without you seeing them; my only response is that many side-scrolling games (JPB, original Mario games) have that same characteristic. We tried to get rid of as many of those instances where we could, but any places that were left, we hoped that the fact the shots moved so slowly that you'd be able to dodge and/or reflect the shots back.

And yes, bugs were abound in TPM, including a lot of the AI problems we had. And we did rely on jumping puzzles too often. But in all honestly, I don't know how some reviewers can look at our game and give it a 3 or 4 out of 10, unless their disappointment over the movie somehow seeped into the review.

TPM was built to try to satisfy a large audience of people who enjoyed the Ep1 film. It was made for Joe Star Wars Fan who might not have bought each and every SW game that has come out; the guy who walks by the store and sees it and says "Well, I just got a new computer, and I liked the movie, maybe I should pick it up." It's not a complicated game; it's not necessarily a very difficult game. It ESPECIALLY was not built as a hardcore gaming experience, as LEC has a very successful Dark Forces/Jedi Knight/Obi Wan series that this game was specifically NOT supposed to emulate.

Well, what started as a small post is now a dissertation http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif) Cya soon.
 Master Qui-Gon
05-31-2000, 6:39 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">I think you're connection with the movie and the game reviews is right on. I think that's also why the movie's visual effects lost to the vastly inferior ones in the Matrix (plus the fact that the Oscars are a sham anyway).

Too many jumping puzzles? Yeah you're probably right. I don't care for those in any game, but when you can save the game at any point, jumping is not all that difficult. On the other hand, JPB... now there's a game with way too many jumping-- not even puzzles, more like challenges to your patience. But whad'ya expect from a stupid console game? I'll be honest, I like games like that when I was... 12.

Episode I was a little too kid oriented. Okay way too kid oriented (much more so than Ep.4,5,6) but I had assumed, perhaps wrongly, that it was to compensate for Ep.2&3 being less kid oriented (somebody please tell that kid to stop crying about his mommy). I quite liked Ep.1, but probably only because of Liam Neeson. He was just light years ahead of everyone else in this film.

------------------
 obi-tom-kenobi
06-04-2000, 2:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Master Qui-Gon:

master qui-gon witch is your faverate star wars movie mine is the empire strikes back oh yes will you train me? i want to be your apprentce.

------------------
obi-tom
 obi-tom-kenobi
06-04-2000, 3:01 PM
no actually master qui-gon i disrespect you darth simpson will you train me and what the hell do you do with that dragon tooth on mos espa?

------------------
obi-tom
 Darth_Simpson
06-04-2000, 9:46 PM
I will train you my young learner...

Qui-Gon and Zanzibar are both totally right when it comes to people dogging all games connected with Episode 1 just because they thought the movie was a disappointment! A professional reviewer should not act like that. They point out that the gameplay is the most important aspect of any game, but in this case it seems like it isnt http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif)
PC Gamer UK gave TPM a 79% out of hundred, but since then they have been picking on the game like a bunch of three-year olds! 79% is a respectable score, and noone should be ashamed of owning TPM, if its the movie or any game associated with it!
 Kurgan
06-05-2000, 1:12 AM
Can't remember all of them. There were at least THREE released COOP JK addon levels.

The first one ever released was called "Theft on Nar Shaddaa."

They are all basically MP levels with enemies that respawn (and are synched for the network). You have a "mission" of sorts, usually to go from point A to point B. In TONS you have to sneak aboard a shuttle, and you win.

Basically, the players respawn, the powerups respawn, and the enemies respawn. It seems to require alot of bandwidth (not optimized) so playing it on a LAN is best.

I think your best bets would be to look for them at jedilegacy.net and massassi.net.

Anyhow, there was also a tutorial on how to make synched AI and other stuff of that nature.

Good luck!

Kurgan
 Master Qui-Gon
06-05-2000, 1:59 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">Ya disrespect me huh?

The dragon tooth can be traded for a blaster from one of those women dressed in white during the Mos Espa level. If you forget, there's one standing around at the beginning of the Desert Encounter level.

My favorite Star Wars? I dunno, I guess that depends on my mood. As I said, I liked Episode I because of Liam Neeson. For its weaknesses, I've always liked ROTJ (obviously I'm immune to whatever it is that makes people hate ewoks). For me, characters are more important than plot and I thought both Luke & Leia were best in Episode VI. Han sucked in this one but you can't have it all. The best movie was clearly Empire, but I don't think it's my favorite. My least favorite is Episode IV. That movie's just lame. The only reason I like it at all is because I like Episodes V & VI. The last 20 minutes or so are good though. How's that for a vague response?

Whichever movie comes out on DVD first will probably become my favorite. VHS sucks and George Lucas is such a hypocrite.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Master Qui-Gon (edited June 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Master Qui-Gon (edited June 05, 2000).]
 Darth_Simpson
06-05-2000, 8:12 PM
Episode 1 is currently being put together, which is very good news. All the films will probably be released after Episode 3! But all the three films together will cost ya, you know how George Lucas is!

------------------
Hunger leads to donuts...

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/nickfloyd/images/Jedi.jpg)
 Master Qui-Gon
06-05-2000, 8:42 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">I certainly do. I'm sure I'll have to buy each movie at least three or four times. Though that doesn't bother me half as much as having to look at that god awful VHS image-- particularly on a movie that supposedly has ground breaking visual effects. Every time I see a Lucas movie, like Star Wars or Indiana Jones, it just makes me spit everytime I see the "digitally remastered in THX for superior sound and image quality." Too bad they don't add on the "but stuck back on VHS so it looks just as bad as before except that we got you to buy the movie again. Sucker." Obviously sound and picture quality is of no concern to GL.

Okay I'm all done now.

------------------
 Darth_Simpson
06-06-2000, 11:37 AM
When Episode 3 is finished, I will probably own Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3 and Episode 4, 5 and 6 in both regular version and special edition. Then I would have to buy the Collectors Edition or whatever they might call it, for a huge amount of money, I am sure of it. That makes for a total of 18 Star Wars movies I own, if he puts both special and regular edition on the DVD. What a ripoff!!
 Saesee Tom
06-06-2000, 5:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Darth_Simpson:
[B]I love Starcraft Darth, played Force Commander yet?
 Midge
06-06-2000, 10:52 PM
Wow! I didn't know my original question would get so much reponses. I thought it was a great game.
 Darth_Simpson
06-07-2000, 5:46 AM
Only played Force Commander little bit, Saesee http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/frown.gif) I dont own it, but I love it!!

And this is the most popular post in about 3 months. Looks like we hang around even though nobody posts!
 Jedi_Trunks
06-07-2000, 9:53 AM
I JUST got the game for my b-day on June 3rd, I know it's a bit old but I think it's awesome. I wanted to comment on the fact that someone earlier said they liked Unreal Tournament. That is the GREATEST game on the market. No debate there. It has everything a blood thirsty guy could ask for. If anyone wants a good 1 vs. 1, go to channel #uls in the UT chat on the default server. Look for {ULS)Trunks, and you better get ready :P. But anyways I'm at Mos Espa right now, trying to get this damn trade sequence done (I wish I cold just kill those Jawas, that's the best) Good luck to all of you still trying to put this game back in the case. And one more thing, how many of you created a special save game right before the heavy repeating cannon so you could blast those beady golden eyed Jawas just to hear 'em scream, "Wooteenie!!"

------------------
It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop.
 Jedi_Trunks
06-07-2000, 9:55 AM
Damn, my email is NOT sk8andsja@yahoo.com, it's sk8andska@yahoo.com. Stupid typos.
Page: 1 of 1