Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Mistake?

Page: 1 of 1
 Keiran Halcyon
05-26-2002, 6:11 PM
In TPM Qui-Gon asked Shmi who was Anakin's father, asuming he was the son of a Jedi.
In EpII we are told that the Jedi are not supposed to love. hmmm

I will make sense if only the Padawans were not allowed to love (since they cannot control their feelings very well).

Jedi have to come from somewhere, and i do not see female jedi inseminating themselves or similar, or have babies without being in love with someone.

EpIII will explain it?

I think we always supposed edi could marry, didn't we?
 Paragon_Leon
05-26-2002, 6:23 PM
i think you mis-interpret some things.
first of all; jedi are discovered. it's not like they are some kind of 'race'. each individual has a certain midichlorian count. The higher that is, the more chance you have of being a jedi.

Anakin getting his offspring in Luke and Leia was an exception to the rule. So don't see that as an example of how things usually go with Jedi.
 Rogue Nine
05-26-2002, 6:23 PM
No no no. One of the key tenets of the Jedi code is to seek out Force-sensitive children and take them from their families to be raised as Jedi. Jedi are found.
 Jaster21801
05-26-2002, 6:24 PM
Well, it's not exactly "Jedi aren't supposed to love"... From my understanding, it's more like "Jedi are supposed to be really friggin sure that they love this person before they rush in"... I think... But anyway, Jedi can start from anyone, a Jedi is an individual who is sensitive to midichlorians. Because of this, Jedi traits are not always inherited, but given kinda like a mutation. Obi-Wan also never really scolded Anakin for falling in love with Padme either.. He said "be MINDFUL of your thoughts" he didn't say kill your feelings for Padme... And furthermore, Luke marries Mara Jade in the books, so there are exceptions. I hope I made sense and if anyone wants to correct me, then go ahead.
 Jaster21801
05-26-2002, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
Jedi are found.

Explain Jacen and Jaina Solo then... And Tenel Ka and the Nightsisters and all of them..
 Keiran Halcyon
05-26-2002, 6:39 PM
As far as i'm concerned, a person can Spontaneously be born with the force, but also be the son of another jedi. Jedi look for non-force sensitive parents childs because they are dangerous if they discover themselves and start training without tutelage.

In ROJ, Yoda said to luke 'the force is in your family, transmit what you have learnt...' And i'm sure George Lucas thought that jedi were born from another jedi. Now if he has chnaged it... sorry about my mistake.

And if Anakin's supposed father were not supposed to be a Jedi, Why in the hell Qui-Gon aks for his name?

And I knew Mare and Luke married, and Han And Leia, BUt that EU and i was talking about the idea George Lucas has now. In the books, also, people inherit the force: Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn...
 Vestril
05-26-2002, 6:49 PM
Lucas somewhat addressed this issue, as I understand it. He said that Jedi can't love, but that doesn't mean they have to be celibate.
 Rogue Nine
05-26-2002, 6:51 PM
Originally posted by Jaster21801

Explain Jacen and Jaina Solo then... And Tenel Ka and the Nightsisters and all of them..

The Nightsisters technically aren't Jedi. And I was speaking in terms of Jedi during the days of the Republic.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-26-2002, 6:54 PM
Originally posted by Vestril
Lucas somewhat addressed this issue, as I understand it. He said that Jedi can't love, but that doesn't mean they have to be celibate.

Then they can have children, can't they?
 Keiran Halcyon
05-26-2002, 6:58 PM
But at least the FORCE can be inherited?
 dorain8
05-28-2002, 3:43 PM
In TPM Qui-Gon asked Shmi who was Anakin's father, asuming he was the son of a Jedi.

watch ep1 again
the part where quigon and smi talk
NO SEX WAS INVOLVED
she just got pregnant randomly

that is why quigon thinks anny is the chosen one
"the one born from midichlorians"

that Jedi can't love
it is not that they can't
but it is that close relationships to anyone ANYONE
is frowned upon because it will hinder your judgement

Anakin breaks this rule

Jedi are found.
EXACTLY RIGHT
however if a jedi somehow has a child, that child inherits the force

so even though they are found a jedi can still look in a spot that he knows a jedi will be

OYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AFTER LUKE BECOMES A JEDI
the whole jedi's not allowed to love thing is tossed out the window
 Keiran Halcyon
05-29-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by dorain8

watch ep1 again
the part where quigon and smi talk
NO SEX WAS INVOLVED
she just got pregnant randomly

that is why quigon thinks anny is the chosen one
"the one born from midichlorians"

Well, you are the one who must whatch the movie again, sir.

Qui-Gon says to shmi: The boy is special, is strong with the force or similar.
then he asks: Who was his father?
And shmi answers: there was no father, i carried him, i gave him birth, i cannot explain what happened.

As you can see, Qui-Gon asked WHO WAS ANAKIN'S FATHER before knowing he was conceived by the midichlorians.
 Outrider
05-29-2002, 7:36 PM
As Anakin says to Padmй in Ep 2, "Jedi's are encouraged to love", this is in a compassionate way, and not an obsessive way, like Anakin towards Padmй. "I've dreamed about her every night."

It is the obsessiveness of Anakin's feelings towards Padmй that are frowned upon.

Long Live The Sith
 DannyJAllTheWay
05-30-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Outrider
As Anakin says to Padmй in Ep 2, "Jedi's are encouraged to love", this is in a compassionate way, and not an obsessive way, like Anakin towards Padmй. "I've dreamed about her every night."

It is the obsessiveness of Anakin's feelings towards Padmй that are frowned upon.

Long Live The Sith

I think the guy with the least post count has it....
 Admiral Vostok
05-31-2002, 6:48 AM
You must unlearn what you have learnt. The Expanded Universe is mostly WRONG with the releasing of Episode I. Let's take Boba Fett for example. I'm sure you're all familiar with his Expanded Universe story (if not, don't bother to educate yourself) and Lucas clearly changed everything about it with Episode II.

It's the same with Jedi offspring. THEY DON'T EXIST. Jedi's aren't allowed emotional attachment, so they don't have children, so there is no evidence for or against whether Force-sensitivity is inherited. When Luke and Leia are born, it seems they did inherit it. Before that though, there is nothing to suggest Jedi should have lots of children to swell the ranks.

I think you're misinterpreting Qui-Gon's question if you think he believes Anakin's father MUST HAVE BEEN a Jedi. He was merely curious, in my opinion.
 Vader10
05-31-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Jaster21801

Bah! More EU crap. Quit bringing that nonsense into discussions about the movies.
 Vestril
05-31-2002, 3:08 PM
It's the same with Jedi offspring. THEY DON'T EXIST. Jedi's aren't allowed emotional attachment, so they don't have children, so there is no evidence for or against whether Force-sensitivity is inherited. When Luke and Leia are born, it seems they did inherit it. Before that though, there is nothing to suggest Jedi should have lots of children to swell the ranks.

Yes, Luke and Leia inherited it, and the Jedi on hand didn't seem suprised at all. The Force is strong in his family. Clearly it can be an inherited trait. As to your claim that they don't have emotional attatchment, and therefore can't produce children....well sometimes the stork comes down if mommy and daddy aren't married ;)
 coldsun22
05-31-2002, 3:25 PM
You don't have to have a jedi as a parent to have a high midichlorian count. Some individuals just get it. Maybe they are chosen or something by the midichlorians. If they did have a parent that was a jedi, though, they would inherit the ability to use the force almost certainly. Therefore, Anakin was "chosen" by the midichlorians to be the one to bring balance to the force even though his mother wasn't a jedi.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-31-2002, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok

I think you're misinterpreting Qui-Gon's question if you think he believes Anakin's father MUST HAVE BEEN a Jedi. He was merely curious, in my opinion.

I do not think Qui-Gon is nosy. He asks because he wants to know the name of the father-jedi. In the same way, obi-wan asked him who darth maul was, because he asumed he was a jedi they could know.
 Jedi_Monk
05-31-2002, 4:19 PM
It's the same with Jedi offspring. THEY DON'T EXIST. Jedi's aren't allowed emotional attachment, so they don't have children, so there is no evidence for or against whether Force-sensitivity is inherited.
Jedi aren't allowed emotional attachment because it might create a conflict of interests (example: the part where Padme had just fallen out of the Troop Carrier, Anakin goes haywire trying to get them to go back and save her even though the very future of the Republic is on the line).

However, Jedi can have casual sex. Go to the bar, find someone and go back to their apartment, do it and go back to the Temple with never a second thought on that person. The woman might become pregnant, though, and the child has inherited its father or mother's strength in the Force. The child is descovered by the Jedi and taken to train.

That is how little Jedi are made, and all of this is straight out of the Creator's mouth. I believe it's from an interview with Maxim, but I'm not completely sure.
 Keiran Halcyon
05-31-2002, 4:25 PM
A little risky, wouldn't it? Just take the woman to the temple or put a locator-chip in she....

Or darn it inseminate jedi females... <--more sense since the two parts could be jedi. :D
Page: 1 of 1