Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Episode 3 Camera work *Possible Spoilers*

Page: 1 of 1
 Frizbee
05-24-2002, 11:53 PM
Okay, I was thinking. In episode 4 Ben says to Luke that Vader helped hunt down and eliminate the Jedi...

Which means in Episode 3 if George Lucas decides to show us Vader doing such, it will mean quite a lot of saber battles, which could get repetative. (To some people)

So, I was trying to think what would be good ways for Lucas to show Anakin eliminating the Jedi, without just having saber battle after saber battle, with a bit of speaking in between.

And I came up with the following idea:

During Anakins battle with Obi-Wan, Lucas could have other scenes, the saber battles of Anikan hunting down the other Jedi Displayed at the same time in the background, like a ghost image.. ie. the battle of Obi-wan and Anikan overlayed over the other image.

And, as well as that, have at other points, the scene actually cut to another battle of Anikan striking down a different Jedi... it could be used - if done properly - to great effect.

What do you all think?
 Spike007
05-25-2002, 12:01 AM
:atat: I think your idea is good but won't work. if you could explain the "ghost image" a little more to change my opinion...
 Frizbee
05-25-2002, 12:06 AM
Okay, picture the battle between Anikan and Obi-wan... they are fighting... sabers swinging...

You get that part.... now, at certain points where they are in a saber lock, or have just seperated and are preparing to strike again... circling round each other etc. (This is so that the other picture doesn't draw your attention from key points of their battle) A second picture... ghosted behind the first... so only faintly visible (almost as though the battle of Anikan and Obi-wan has faded to another scene, but only enough so that the second image is visible)

Ie. You have the main battle in the foreground.. with an opacity of about 70% Behind that is the second battle, with no Opacity, so that you can see, during the main climactic battle, the scenes where Anikan strikes down the various other Jedi.

Did that explain it properly?
 Spike007
05-25-2002, 12:09 AM
:atat: That sounds much better. It also sounds like a great idea. You could even have it actually switch between scenes. Just a thought.
 Frizbee
05-25-2002, 12:14 AM
That's what I meant in my first unclear post :D

Have at some points the "Ghosted" image in the background... and at other points the scene actually switch to an earlier battle.

I think that doing so would not only give you the images needed to show how he had stuck down the other Jedi, but would also leave the focus of the movie on the one climactic battle between Anikan and Obi-wan. (And of course, his embrace of the Dark Side)

Anyone else have opinions / ideas?
 eastcoast2895
05-25-2002, 3:56 PM
it sounds like a cool idea, but because how the phantom menace put the four battles together got me a little mad because the saber battle was always cut when it was getting good, so i actually would like the anakin vs. obi-wan fight concentrated on just the fight, without any other scenes taking away from the moment.
 razorace
05-27-2002, 11:31 PM
I doubt you'll see any of those different camera techs. in Episode III. I've never seen Lucas use those before, plus I imagine the actual Jedi purge will happen off scene. I'm 90% sure that the ending battle will be a simple one on one of Obi vs. Anakin at the lava pit. Sides, do you REALLY want to see a bunch of jedi get gunned down?
Page: 1 of 1