Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Shield Tactics

Page: 1 of 1
 Tie Guy
08-29-2001, 6:28 PM
Ok, shields are obviously a new aspect to the AOK engine, and along with that will come many new tactics.

Feel free to post your own tactics or questions here.

Here's mine: We've all (or at least I) have built castles inside the enemies base to complement my inading army. Will this work with shields too? I think it would, you could send in an army, and follow it up with a bunch of workers to build a shield and a power gen. Bang, you have a shield in your opponents base, and your attack is bound to succeed, even if you are outnumbered. And, you can send troops/mechs into the shield to be healed, or at least regain shields.
 Darth_Rommel
08-29-2001, 6:38 PM
I would post a long, descriptive post... but in my condition, it would take hours ;) I would build a bunch of shield generators around my opponents town... he'd be trapped :evil1:
 Compa_Mighty
08-29-2001, 7:14 PM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Ok, shields are obviously a new aspect to the AOK engine, and along with that will come many new tactics.

Feel free to post your own tactics or questions here.

Here's mine: We've all (or at least I) have built castles inside the enemies base to complement my inading army. Will this work with shields too? I think it would, you could send in an army, and follow it up with a bunch of workers to build a shield and a power gen. Bang, you have a shield in your opponents base, and your attack is bound to succeed, even if you are outnumbered. And, you can send troops/mechs into the shield to be healed, or at least regain shields.

Better then, you build a Fortress inside the shield!!!
 Felix29
08-29-2001, 7:16 PM
Fortresses/Castles should be able to hold siege weapons... Why can't they? :confused:
 JEDI_MASTA
08-29-2001, 7:25 PM
i think im just going to put shileds around my bas to ptotect my town while im out kicking the crap out of everybody
 Mitth'raw'nuruodo
08-29-2001, 8:34 PM
I'm going to put two shield generators at spots that i need to heavily defend (like chokepoints). That way if on gets taken out, i'll still have one left. Also, I'll probably put about 2 pwer cores per shield to make sure it doesn't go down from lack of power. :D
 God
08-29-2001, 8:50 PM
i think thats a great idea with the 2 power cores! Then theres the gungans with their moble sheilds. that will surly put a twist on it. i wonder if they will have a sheild bounes or some enhanced sheild.
 Admiral Odin
08-29-2001, 9:37 PM
I will find resources get a group to protect them. Then build a shield generator to protect the guarding units and workers.

Now for the attack I will build three to four shield gens. Then take siege weapons and place them within the radius of the Shield Generator. Once a hole is open in comes my army.
 God
08-29-2001, 9:48 PM
you could tdo the early rush a little latter and use a sheild to protect your buildings that are close to the enemy base and place towers to protect the sheild like a forward base
 Paragon_Leon
08-30-2001, 6:02 PM
I think you overestimate the potential power of shields... with sufficient firepower, someone can actually destroy a shield while the power generator is still active..
and simply putting troops inside the shield (remember EP 1?) is an effective way to stop it as well...
it's not that solid a defence in my opinion..
 xwing guy
08-30-2001, 6:12 PM
Yes, but the sheild generator is not going to create a bubble its just going to give all units and probably buildings too within its raduis as many shield HPs as the unit as regular HPs, so basically doubling the units HPs.
 Tie Guy
08-30-2001, 6:42 PM
But your guys will double their HP and destroy the enemy before they can get close. Remember, a certain amount of troops can overwhelm anything, not just a shield gen, so i think that you underestimate the power of shields.
 Admiral Odin
08-30-2001, 6:52 PM
if used wisely they will be very powerful. If you place them randomly they will be worthless.
 Paragon_Leon
08-30-2001, 6:54 PM
all nice and well, but we really don't know enough, much less have seen enough, of them to make these kinds of judgment. the double HP sounds feasible; i would take small groups of units with fambaas (Gungans) and wreac havoc on several places at once while building my REAL army safely in my base..
 Kavam1
09-01-2001, 10:37 AM
Any one knows what kind of shielding they will be using? I.e. Particle shielding and/or ray shielding or is it not going to get so technical?
 xwing guy
09-01-2001, 11:26 AM
Its not going to be very techenical its just gonna be simple shields.
 Tie Guy
09-01-2001, 11:34 AM
it just doubles your units HP when they are inside, there is nothing technical about it, as x-wing pointed out.
 Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 12:27 PM
you have to remember that people are going to figure this out and get their sheilds up pretty fast. therefore, it becomes a race of who can build them up quickly and correctly, otherwise they are worthless...
 Kvan
09-01-2001, 12:30 PM
I got a question...can you have a shield within a shield?
 Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 12:31 PM
even if you could, that wouldn't allow for quadrupling of your HP. the max HP acquired from shields is 2X. no more, no less....
 Kvan
09-01-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Lord JayVizIon
even if you could, that wouldn't allow for quadrupling of your HP. the max HP acquired from shields is 2X. no more, no less....
Yeah but doesn't Gungans regenerate health when in a shield? So having more then one shield will make it harder for enemies to take them down.
 ZeroXcape
09-01-2001, 12:38 PM
It actually is sort of technical. Depending on how quickly you can raise your sheilds, it'll help stop any sort of rush. You'd only need a little more then half the number of units that your opponent sends over.

In that same respect, you can't really rely on them too heavily. If you spend your resources towards sheilding and it goes out, you may end up out of the game quicker then you'd like to be.
 Kvan
09-01-2001, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ZeroXcape
It actually is sort of technical. Depending on how quickly you can raise your sheilds, it'll help stop any sort of rush. You'd only need a little more then half the number of units that your opponent sends over.

In that same respect, you can't really rely on them too heavily. If you spend your resources towards sheilding and it goes out, you may end up out of the game quicker then you'd like to be.
Well of course you don't want to rely on any one thing too heavly because if it fails your screwed! Thats why I usually have at least two real good tactics on hand (one to use and one to fall back on) :)
 Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Kvan

Yeah but doesn't Gungans regenerate health when in a shield? So having more then one shield will make it harder for enemies to take them down.

they can regenerate, but it's very slow...
 Admiral Odin
09-01-2001, 1:35 PM
But still regenerating health would mean a medic wouldn't be need and you could get a different unit to fill his slot.
 Lord JayVizIon
09-01-2001, 1:37 PM
exactly. getting into a shield can buy that damaged unit time and allow you to make a unit quite a bit more devastating...:D
 Captain Fett
09-01-2001, 2:34 PM
Originally posted by Compa_Mighty

Better then, you build a Fortress inside the shield!!!

Oh yeah!
 Booya2020
09-03-2001, 1:04 AM
Air units probably own sheilds. Just fly over to it and kill the power generators and BAM! No more sheilds. Incoming AT-AT's!!!:atat: "Target maximum firepower!" BOOM
 Droideka
09-03-2001, 8:25 PM
Originally posted by Paragon_Leon
I think you overestimate the potential power of shields... with sufficient firepower, someone can actually destroy a shield while the power generator is still active..
and simply putting troops inside the shield (remember EP 1?) is an effective way to stop it as well...
it's not that solid a defence in my opinion..
thats true but the shield was for the gungans who arent exactally the most advanced civ, but then there was also the rebel shield on hoth that lasted about 5 minutes
 Thrawn
09-03-2001, 8:29 PM
One thing for sure. You will need alot of anti-air by your shields, because I'm sure they'll be prome targets for aircraft. :x-wing: :D
 Kavam1
09-03-2001, 9:30 PM
Droideka the rebels on Hoth didn’t have full planetary shielding (shielding that covered the whole planet) they also didn’t have Full particle shielding, which allowed ATATs to be dropped, and a ground assault was started

And a quick question so are shield just health/armor modifiers? I.e. just increase health and/or armor of a unit or can they be used as a mobile wall? I.e. you can put them up and people can’t come into the protected area of the shielding then you can build up under the shielding uninterrupted until the shields come down?
 Admiral Odin
09-04-2001, 8:56 AM
I believe that they only increase hp of your units, and not act like walls (which is why they have walls in the game)
 Tie Guy
09-04-2001, 3:02 PM
If they acted like walls then how could you ever get through one? That would be way to unfair, especially with the Fambaas.
Page: 1 of 1