Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Question about Master Yoda

Page: 1 of 1
 Bluezman
05-21-2002, 8:27 AM
When Yoda comes into the hangar to fight Dooku he is walking really slowly, using his stick. Just like an old guy, which he is.

When fighting, all of a sudden he can move real quick, jumping around like a badass squirrel.

Question:
How can he do that? If he takes the ability from the force, why doesn't he always do so instead of having to rely on his stick? In a non-fight situation it would be much more convenient for him and for someone this strong with the force probably an easy thing to do.

What do you think?
 Natty
05-21-2002, 8:31 AM
I think it's hilarious, perhaps he uses the force to fight. All 3times I've seen it, the whole cinema cheers as Yoda appears and then cracks up laughing after the fight. Just enjoy it :) I don't really care either way, its good to see Yoda being useful for once
 Bluezman
05-21-2002, 9:05 AM
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the scene. And I had the same experience n the theatre.

It just would make this whole force myst thing even way cooler if there was some sort of explanation to this. Like there is some Jedi rule that forbids using the force to simply make you feel more comfortable or something like that...
 Cracken
05-21-2002, 10:16 AM
I have a theory that states he used the Force energy harnessed by his absorption of Dooku's lightning to propel himself at such superhuman speed. Sure, it's JKII-ish, but it might work.
 FunClown
05-21-2002, 10:23 AM
According to the starwars card game it's called yada's gimer stick and is a sybol of the jedi master and his ancient wisdom. :)

http://www.decipher.com/starwars/cardlists/dagobah/light/large/yodasgimerstick.html)
 Bluezman
05-21-2002, 10:31 AM
... doesn't figure in my book:

That would mean Yoda can only saberfight properly when someone attacks him with a force power that he can absorb and then turn into something like force speed?!!?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Wouldn't you think Yoda has access to the force without being attacked?

Also, Count Dooku says something like "Well, then lets not mess around with force powers anymore but lets fight with the sabers". So theres no lightning involved anymore.

BTW, it also seemed that Yoda had to make quite an effort to absorb the lightning rather then enable his saber combat abilities.
 Blenny
05-21-2002, 10:46 AM
Yoda's old, even for his species I'd wager. He probably doesn't use the force as a crutch simply for convenience. He always refers to the force as his 'ally'. He doesn't see it as a tool to make life easier. But when two of his younger Jedi, two he seems to hold in rather high regard no less, very lives are threatened he's quite willing to draw on the force to save them. And when a Jedi Master of his skill draws on the force the results are quite spectacular, as we've all seen.

Plus drawing that heavily on the force must be tiring for even a Jedi of his skill, he can only keep it up for so long. Doing it all the time just so he could walk easily would have left him constantly drained.

An alternative explanation is that his limping is a facade. An impression he gives to those around him so that those who don't know better will underestimate his power. It's clear he did that to test Luke Skywalker's patience on Dagobah years later.
 Bluezman
05-21-2002, 11:30 AM
I like this explanation.

It is very interesting how the real wise light Jedi hardly ever use the force unless they are really in danger or - like Yoda - to look into the future but never just to play around.

Thus it was a nice move of Lucas to show Anakin as an arrogant youngster who makes rather heavy use of the force, think of the scene where he picks up this small ball in Amidalas room letting it float over his hand; or when he passes the fruit over to Amidala letting it float over the table. This already shows some sort of predisposition for the dark side, shows that he can be tempted easily.
*ahem* reminds me of myself when playing JKII: rather force jump everywhere than using stairs or elevators... :D
 Ferox
05-21-2002, 2:03 PM
heh, you guys ever watch any anime or read any asian stuff(look at the turtle hermit in dragon ball z)? where they have the old grand masters that seem so harmless

what did luke do to yoda when he first met him.. he thought he was a little creature muppet and would of swatted him like a fly if he wanted. well he thought wrong.

yoda protrays himself as this old little creature that cant move and has no power... but we all know the real truth.

its about being humble, and not showing off(which leads to the dark side) yoda is the model jedi. its also about not letting your eyes be your guide.. but feeling the force.
 Sithxace
05-21-2002, 2:23 PM
that guys explanation is right, while yoda was figting you could see him very tired.

Also yoda doesnt belive the use of the force is for selfishness like walking correctly, but for peace and stop the evil.
 Jedi_Monk
05-21-2002, 6:36 PM
I don't think it tires a Jedi to use the Force--what's tiring is bending your will into accepting that you can do these things in the first place. Altering one's perception can be a great mental fight--the more impossible (lifting the crane, lifting the X-Wing)something seems, the harder it is to will yourself to believe you can do it.
 Clone142
05-22-2002, 1:30 AM
Abusing the Force leads to the DarkSide. Just look at Anakin playing with the Force at every occasion, wanting to be the most powerful Jedi through the Force and where that leads him. A Jedi uses the Force only for "knowledge and defense".

Therefore Yoda only uses the Force when he has to. Being 800 years old, he walks as he does. But if necessity arises he can use the Force to amazing results as we saw during that battle with Count Dooku. He is THE Jedi Master, after all.
 Andy867
05-22-2002, 2:51 AM
plus you also have to consider that Yoda might not want people to know how good he really is, so when he gets the chance, he makes it look like he didn;t do anything, and that it was obi-wan and Anakin fighting the whole time, yoda just happened to arrive there

One thing I don't get is why Yoda didn't throw that huge cylinder at the ship Dooku got on... I mean c'mon, I know he uses the force for knowledge and defense, but think about how much of a difference it would have made,
 [Dom_Pmd]
05-22-2002, 3:12 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
plus you also have to consider that Yoda might not want people to know how good he really is, so when he gets the chance, he makes it look like he didn;t do anything, and that it was obi-wan and Anakin fighting the whole time, yoda just happened to arrive there

One thing I don't get is why Yoda didn't throw that huge cylinder at the ship Dooku got on... I mean c'mon, I know he uses the force for knowledge and defense, but think about how much of a difference it would have made,

A difference? Ummm in the end it's all the same...

It would have been counter productive to do that from a filming point, dragging it out for no reason. I mean, as soon as you see Count Dooku take the Death Star plans you already know that he survives in AotC because he must deliever the plans to Darth Sidious...

:jango:
 Bluezman
05-22-2002, 4:56 AM
I disagree to that. If Lucas wanted to have Dooku destroyed by Yoda on that occasion, he could have made Dooku pass on the Death Star Plans by some other means or at an earlier point, so the reason might not be "he must survive, otherwise Palpatine can't build Death Star".

I'd rather think that Yoda was struggling to not get hit by the cylinder and maybe couldn't move it around that much to throw it on the ship. It's one thing to keep this thing from falling on you and another to "throw" it at some ship.
(Now don't argue on me "No, Luke! No difference it is. You must believe in the force... the X-Wing lift out of the swamp you can..." :D )

Apart from that I was actually content with the way Yoda behaved in the movie. I only started this post to get your opinions because I talked to the people I saw the movie with and some of them were like "I didn't like that scene, it didn't make sense, how can old Yoda who can hardly walk fight like that. Thats inconsistent!"

Which it isn't , as this post clearly shows. :p
 Kyle d'Tana
05-22-2002, 7:02 AM
Allright, its the force which made master yoda so really quick. He can use the force so much, that the force fihgts for him. Hes really strong with the force. but he cant use this power all the time, that costs too much of his body power. so he walks like an old man( what he really is)!!!:D :D
 [Dom_Pmd]
05-22-2002, 1:31 PM
Originally posted by Bluezman
I disagree to that. If Lucas wanted to have Dooku destroyed by Yoda on that occasion, he could have made Dooku pass on the Death Star Plans by some other means or at an earlier point, so the reason might not be "he must survive, otherwise Palpatine can't build Death Star".

I'd rather think that Yoda was struggling to not get hit by the cylinder and maybe couldn't move it around that much to throw it on the ship. It's one thing to keep this thing from falling on you and another to "throw" it at some ship.
(Now don't argue on me "No, Luke! No difference it is. You must believe in the force... the X-Wing lift out of the swamp you can..." :D )

Apart from that I was actually content with the way Yoda behaved in the movie. I only started this post to get your opinions because I talked to the people I saw the movie with and some of them were like "I didn't like that scene, it didn't make sense, how can old Yoda who can hardly walk fight like that. Thats inconsistent!"

Which it isn't , as this post clearly shows. :p

Ugh.... You missed the point, but thats alright....

:jango:
 Jedi_Monk
05-22-2002, 2:28 PM

What did Yoda do with those power-module things that Dooku threw at him? What did Yoda do with those shards of rock Dooku tore down from the ceiling? Yoda didn't throw those things back at Dooku, so why would he throw the crane at Dooku? Yoda only uses the Force for knowledge and defense, and throwing things at Dooku would certainly have been attack. But then, you ask, why did Yoda reflect the lightning back at Dooku?

Dangerous and disturbing this puzzle is :yoda:
 Bluezman
05-22-2002, 6:07 PM
Ugh.... You missed the point, but thats alright....

Oh yes, indeed... :o
Re-read and noticed... :)

No offense intended, mate...
Page: 1 of 1