Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why did yoda saved Obi-Wan and Anakin ?

Page: 1 of 1
 Topdan
05-20-2002, 11:21 AM
When fighting Dooku, Yoda decided to let Dooku go and save his 2 jedis.

In Return of the Jedi, Yoda says that Luke has to sacrifice Han and Leia if he honors what they are fighting for.

But he doesn't do it. It's been said that killing Dooku could end the war right now. Yoda decided to let Dooku fly away and let the war continues instead of sacrifying Obi and Anakin to honor what they were fighting for.

Is it the number of Jedi already killed that made him stop the column and let Dooku go ?

Remember that as far as Yoda knows, Dooku is the main character of the separatist movement. Letting the 2 jedis die and killing Dooku could end the separatist movement and restore order in the Republic...
 Kasowitz
05-20-2002, 11:32 AM
Yoda knows Anakin is needed to later bring balance to the force (by killing the emperor).
 thrEEpaGe
05-20-2002, 2:47 PM
Yeah, even though he does not know that there IS an emperor right now. He simply knows that Anakin is "teh chsoen oen"
 Darth Matrix
05-20-2002, 2:48 PM
Also, Yoda hasn't been ass whipped and forced into hiding in Episode II. You'll notice he's a lot colder in the Episode 5.
 Cracken
05-20-2002, 3:01 PM
He probably says what says in ESB BECAUSE of what happened at the end of AOTC. He realizes that sacrifices have to be made during and after the Clone Wars.
 Topdan
05-21-2002, 3:14 AM
Originally posted by Cracken
He probably says what says in ESB BECAUSE of what happened at the end of AOTC. He realizes that sacrifices have to be made during and after the Clone Wars.

Interesting theory... I think I can buy it.
 BlackDove
05-21-2002, 3:16 AM

I was gonna say that, you stole my line, damn you :p
 DarthNoodles
05-21-2002, 10:19 AM
Why didn't Yoda take the column and Force Throw it into Dooku's ship. He had to put it down somewhere, put it down on top of the ship.
 Blenny
05-21-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Topdan
When fighting Dooku, Yoda decided to let Dooku go and save his 2 jedis.

In Return of the Jedi, Yoda says that Luke has to sacrifice Han and Leia if he honors what they are fighting for.

But he doesn't do it. It's been said that killing Dooku could end the war right now. Yoda decided to let Dooku fly away and let the war continues instead of sacrifying Obi and Anakin to honor what they were fighting for.

That's not at all what Yoda says or means in ESB (sorry if that came out a little harsh). He tells Luke that by going to help them he'll "Sacrafice all for which they have fought, and suffered." Not that he has to sacrifice their lives. The reason Han and Leia are tortured on Bespin is to lure Skywalker to Vader. By going to them Luke gives Vader exactly what he seeks. Himself. Han and Leia are fighting Vader (by resisting as best they can) to keep Darth Vader from capturing Luke.
 Blenny
05-21-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by DarthNoodles
Why didn't Yoda take the column and Force Throw it into Dooku's ship. He had to put it down somewhere, put it down on top of the ship.

Or just give it a nice force push forward so it missed the fallen Jedi and landed beside them. We've seen Jedi shove enemies with the force many times now, and it takes much less time than it did to fight gravity and hold the pillar up. A quick force push would have left Yoda plenty o' time to pursue and slice 'n' dice Dooku. But then despite this new aggressive side we're seeing to the Jedi, bringing the war to their enemies and pressing their advantage, it was Yoda himself who said "A Jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense. Never for attack." He fought to defend his students. He succeeded.
 Cracken
05-21-2002, 3:04 PM
It was quite a struggle for Yoda just to push the column away from Obi-Wan and Anakin, much less throw it into Dooku's ship. I mean, we're talking a column that supports at least the roof of the hangar, maybe several floors above. Much heavier than an X-Wing, I'd think.
 Master Qui-Gon
05-21-2002, 4:00 PM
Originally posted by Blenny
A quick force push would have left Yoda plenty o' time to pursue and slice 'n' dice Dooku.
If he hadn't saved them, he would have been forced to defeat Dooku and then where would Episode III be? GL needed a way out of the fight without either of them really losing.
 OldSkoolJedi
05-22-2002, 4:26 AM
It was quite a struggle for Yoda just to push the column away from Obi-Wan and Anakin, much less throw it into Dooku's ship. I mean, we're talking a column that supports at least the roof of the hangar, maybe several floors above. Much heavier than an X-Wing, I'd think.

Cracken's Exactly Right Yes, The Pillar Would Be Heavier Meaning Yes, The Pillar Would Be Harder To Move. And I Think We Can Safely Assume Yoda Will Become Stronger With Force Over Around +20 Years....Which Means It Would Be Easier To Move X-Wing. AND he was tired after fight/absorb.

Sorry I Don't Flame Much But....

DUH !
 Kyle d'Tana
05-22-2002, 7:05 AM
In the great jedi battle with the droids, many jedis died. he wouldn't loose two more jedis.... and after all, the hole story of star wars will be disrupted....:D
 OldSkoolJedi
05-22-2002, 7:16 AM
yes, That WOULD be the logical explantaion but........

I Live In A Room With Padded Walls !
and i like 2 eat cheese sticks aswell
Page: 1 of 1