Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

What Were They Thinking?

Page: 1 of 1
 Joe Joe Binks
06-25-2000, 4:55 PM
Since when can characters carry blasters, lightsabers, thermal detonators and missile launchers all at once? It's unreal.

Why are there health packs floating around in swamps and deserts? If they're that easy to come by, why aren't they used by the locals? A better idea would be on Tatooine if you could buy or trade for health packs.

And how come Obi-Wan can kill Darth Maul with one slice in the movie, but it takes him forever in the game?

Jeez...
 Kurgan
06-25-2000, 7:47 PM
And how come games aren't more like real life?

Why do you get stuff like multiple lives a score, and continues? Why are they not in first person view? Why do we see polygons and sprites? Why are there "levels" and "cutscenes" and text above people's heads? Why don't we have total freedom of movement? Why are we constantly fighting instead of negotiating?

Why indeed.

Kurgan
 Dave Maul
06-25-2000, 8:09 PM
Because real life's too boring. At least for me, but I don't get out much. I spend my quiet moments huddled in front of my TV playing my PlayStation.

I'm sure Joe Joe will make a cunning remark about that.

------------------
http://www.thehellhole.com/pictures/3dpics/darthmaulprv.gif)
Dave Maul
 Pedro The Hutt
06-25-2000, 8:52 PM
Please, Don't start all over again with that.
I've had enough of remarks and insults etc...

I have to quote: Why can't we all just get along???
 Master Qui-Gon
06-26-2000, 12:55 PM
<font face="BernardMod BT"><font color="green1">Well said Kurgan.

Well Pedro, people are always fighting. Everybody getting along must go against human nature.

------------------
http://fan.starwars.com/Fishsticks/files/Ministry.jpg)
Master Qui-Gon, Minister of Silly Walks
I'm afraid my walk has become rather sillier recently, and so it takes me rather longer to get to work.
 Kurgan
06-26-2000, 4:54 PM
I see it as a fantasy.. people like taking on the role of somebody they aren't and having some fun, or just kicking back with some mindless game for awhile.

The flipside is the game companies want you to keep playing their product, and make them rich, so they throw in stuff to make it addictive (they try anyway) and make it challenging and fun, etc.

Plus, you can only get so realistic with a game before it becomes tedius. Most people don't want to deal with the level of "realism" in something like Tresspasser for example. That's overkill for most folks.

Real life can be messy, and boring, and tedius. It can be awesome alright. A real sunset beats even the coolest CG sunset on a huge jumbotron screen... a cgi kiss isn't like a real kiss, a good solid fist to the jaw.. (okay, some things are better left to the screen). ; )

Some thing, like slashing droid armies with your glowing lightsaber, are better left to the imagination, the printed page, or to games. It's just alot safer and more colorful (not to mention feasible).

Kurgan
 Pedro The Hutt
06-26-2000, 8:31 PM
Say, Kurgan
Trespasser hasn't really got "that" level of realism.
I was playing in the first level and out of boredom I started hitting a sing with a stick.
Eventually I dropped the stick and moved on, after a while I wanted to pick up a gun but I was unable to grab. Slightly confused I turned and what did I see, my hand was stuck in the sign I was hitting and my arm was over a mile long. That's not realistic now is it?
Phew, that was a long message.

Oh, and Master Qui-gon: Minister of...
you're probably right.

------------------
No!
I am your father.
 Joe Joe Binks
06-26-2000, 9:00 PM
About Dave Maul:

I spend my quiet moments huddled in front of my TV playing my PlayStation.

What a dweeb.
 84Elan
06-26-2000, 9:48 PM
It is hard for some folks to realize that in todays time, video games have become a hobby just like hunting or fishing or even coin colecting. It is hard to beleive because most folks espsially the older crowd did not grow up with it. Face it, unless you are under 35, video games are a bit of a mystery to ya. Not to say that there are old gamers out there that play, but most of the gaming community is any where from 5 to 30 something.

I saw a study where the average age of gamers in the US is 25. (are you taking notes Nintendo?) If someone said that "I spend most of my spare time working on my hot rod" then that person is cool yet if you say "I spend it on my PC or play video games" most people look at you like you are some kind of idiot or nerd. Whats up with that?

Sitting outside on the bank of some lake soaking a line for hours on end is not any different than sitting in front of the TV playing video games. It is how you choose to spend your free time and relax. Video games are just another form of escaping the real world. Like was said above living a bit of a fantacy and not having to get bogged down in the BS of day to day life.

------------------
Don't center on your anxieties...keep your focus on the here and now.

[This message has been edited by 84Elan (edited June 26, 2000).]
 Zanzibar
06-26-2000, 10:06 PM
Re the ever-so-intelligent 'Dweeb' comment:

Joe Joe's preferred method of communication seems to be insult..he probably didn't get a lot of attention at home growing up, so he acts out. Judging that he's old enough to use a computer and STILL isn't getting attention, I'm beginning to see why he was shunned as a little one http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/wink.gif)

I actually am only encouraging him to reply at this point, but I did want to say that the less we talk about him, the bigger chance he'll get bored and go away.
 84Elan
06-26-2000, 10:09 PM
Words of wisdom.
 Saesee Tom
06-27-2000, 10:51 AM
It's about time someone said somethin about Joe Joe. I have to be quick I'm at school..
http://www.jediknight.net/mboard/cool.gif)
 Commander 598
06-27-2000, 2:01 PM
Dude! you have to use a school pc!?

------------------
I like to defeat my opponents the old fashioned way...Brutaly
 Dave Maul
06-27-2000, 2:20 PM
Well, us school kids like this forum so much (with the exception of a certain immature individual), we log on every chance we get.

It's good to see that no-one's going to sit back and let Joe Joe insult us all. Can we send some of these comments to Kurgan via e-mail, as he said he didn't want them on the forums. But that doesn't mean stop altogether. If he annoys you, let everybody know.

------------------
http://www.thehellhole.com/pictures/3dpics/darthmaulprv.gif)
Dave Maul
 Saesee Tom
06-28-2000, 6:57 PM
NO! At the moment I'm at my own HIGH GRAPHIC PC. I was bored in French class, I thought I could do better than waste time just on french transport.
Page: 1 of 1