Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

How could Owen forget about C3PO ?

Page: 1 of 1
 Topdan
05-17-2002, 7:39 AM
Ok, ok... Shmi brought it with her. But in episode 4, Owen buys C3PO, how could he forget that he already owned that droid. Or at least saw it before...

As for 3PO, he asks Luke on which planet he landed... How could 3PO forget that he had seen this house before, that he had seen Owen before, and Beru, etc...

Maybe 3PO's memory was erased... I don't know... Anyone has an idea.
 patchx
05-17-2002, 7:45 AM
c3po's memory gets erased i think
artoos doesnt though i suspect (see how he knew where he was going in ep4? i think hes under orders of amidala not to let her son ever know the awefull truth about his parents past)

theres millions of protocol droids in the galaxy lots of which would be exactly the same (the droid in bespin was the spitting image of c3po) theres no way if owen saw c3po after 3o years or whatever of not seeing him that he would recognize him as anything other than just another dumb protocol droid the jawas were trying to flog off to him again

-patch
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 7:48 AM
Originally posted by Topdan
Ok, ok... Shmi brought it with her. But in episode 4, Owen buys C3PO, how could he forget that he already owned that droid. Or at least saw it before...

As for 3PO, he asks Luke on which planet he landed... How could 3PO forget that he had seen this house before, that he had seen Owen before, and Beru, etc...

Maybe 3PO's memory was erased... I don't know... Anyone has an idea.

The latter of the two scenarios is quite easily rectified, as you pointed out.. There's going to have to be a format/reload on Threepio and Artoo in Episode 3.. otherwise the beginning of Episode 4 would make no sense whatsoever.

However, as far as Owen and Beru, I guess it's just a time thing. I'm guessing that after 20+ years, they've completely forgotten Threepio, which, honestly, makes little sense as Owen obviously remembers Anakin and, considering the death of Shmi was such a profound time for all of them - a time where Threepio was there and beside them - you'd think they'd remember. I suppose this is just going to be one of those unfinished ends...
 thelegalbeagle
05-17-2002, 7:52 AM
If Owen Lars didn't want Luke to have anything to do with Obi-Wan, and kept putting off his application to the Academy, he is hardly going to say to Luke when the Jawas arrive at the homestead :

"Wow, it's C3PO. Your dad built him before he went away to become a Jedi, then took him off the the Clone Wars with him. That was a really exciting time. Massacred sand people too. What a guy!"
 Wraith 8
05-17-2002, 8:30 AM
BUT you all are forgetting one thing.. 2po wasnt in gold.. he was in gray black... and then some 20 to 30 years later... you see a gold droid.. so he changed a bit... that is what i think :D
 Natopo
05-17-2002, 8:36 AM
Actually, he just got a new covering. The memory thing is totally wrong. Shmi may've been Beru's, but she was that other guy's wife. 3P0 probably went with him. Or maybe he just couldn't recognize him because of his casing. Or maybe is was a complete mess up.
 PanderX
05-17-2002, 9:33 AM
so many accidents, that happen to 3po (remember episodes 4-6 too), its no big deal if he gets his memory erased sometimes =)

and as stated before, there are millions of protocol droids like 3po in the universe. would you remember its your car, when you see a car of the same type after 20 years? guess not.
 Ewok Hunter
05-31-2002, 8:23 PM
in the rebel base in ep 5 there is a protocol droid that looks exactly like 3po except he has a diffrent color covering
 Nebelwerfer_
06-01-2002, 9:41 PM

owen has been doing too many Death sticks :D
 COJ
06-01-2002, 10:48 PM
maybe the owan in episode 2 is a clone
 BlackDove
06-01-2002, 10:56 PM
Either way, he's a mindless drone.
 DarthMuffin
06-02-2002, 6:10 PM
BUT you all are forgetting one thing.. 2po wasnt in gold.. he was in gray black... and then some 20 to 30 years later... you see a gold droid.. so he changed a bit... that is what i think

But he still have the same voice...
 Jaster21801
06-03-2002, 1:53 AM
Originally posted by Perniciosus

makes little sense as Owen obviously remembers Anakin

Ummm... Owen didn't know Anakin before Ep II... and he kinda IS his step-brother, so he would be Luke's next of kin if that's what you're referring to... As far as not remembering 3P0, it's probably due to casing changes, age, and possibly trying to cover up some family history... But who knows?
 Jedi_Monk
06-03-2002, 2:07 AM
But he still have the same voice...
And the same voice says "You've got mail!" to eveyone unfortunate enough to be stuck with AOL... voice means nothing. We can assume that Anakin, while a resourceful little... thing... didn't have the resources or the knowledge needed to program a droidbrain, therefore he must have found it--a standard 3PO-model droidbrain, just like billions of others in the universe complete with that prissy voice.
 Darth Facism
06-03-2002, 2:21 PM
I don't buy that owen would forget c3po at all, his personality is very distinctive, gold or black hard to believe owen would forget.
The other protocol droids they've shown have different voices so there's a slight chance that 3po is unique in that area , but you never know.
 MotionMan
06-03-2002, 2:33 PM
If you remember in episode 1. In the beginning when Qui gon and Obi wan are in the room waiting to see nute gunray. A c3po model droid comes in and serves them drinks. She sounded like a female version of C3p0. I would asume that the male versions sound very simmilar to c3p0.
 Vader10
06-03-2002, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by MotionMan
She sounded like a female version of C3p0. I would asume that the male versions sound very simmilar to c3p0.

Male and Female droids? Now that is something I got to see.
 MotionMan
06-03-2002, 2:58 PM
Originally posted by Vader10

Male and Female droids? Now that is something I got to see.

Didnt mean phisically. I meant in their voices(or voice moduals, if you want to get technical).

Whatever ,it was just a guese:rolleyes:
 Manquesa
06-04-2002, 2:01 AM
Well, that guy who played owen in ep. 2 just recently comfirmed that he will also so be in ep. 3. He's bound to run into 3po again.

Just a little tidbit to further this confusion.
 Wraith 8
06-04-2002, 4:42 AM
Originally posted by Manquesa
Well, that guy who played owen in ep. 2 just recently comfirmed that he will also so be in ep. 3. He's bound to run into 3po again.

Just a little tidbit to further this confusion. doesnt have to. what ive heard is that Lucas did one scene for Ep3 while shooting Ep2 in the desert. i think that is the part where Obiwan gives owen the baby Luke.... 3po doesnt need to be there.
 Darth Facism
06-04-2002, 3:21 PM
Let's face it, Lucas didn't think it through when he did these movies to say he has a big plan to "explain everything" is very unlucky. Episode I ,hurt Star Wars in terms of plot holes and explaining certain aspects of the universe he didn't have to. I wonder if he ever watched 4-6 sometimes, some of these mistakes are just plain lazy. If he wrote these stories all these yrs ago then why the holes?
 Topdan
06-04-2002, 5:25 PM
I've read from the official site that R2 and 3P0 are getting a memory reboot, and that Episode 3 will show that. Maybe the fear of 3P0 from Vader comes from there. He doesn't consider him as the creator anymore...

But still, their memory will be erased in Ep3.
 Manquesa
06-04-2002, 7:56 PM
Originally posted by Wraith 8
doesnt have to. what ive heard is that Lucas did one scene for Ep3 while shooting Ep2 in the desert. i think that is the part where Obiwan gives owen the baby Luke.... 3po doesnt need to be there.

Of course he doesn't need to be there, he never needs to be there, how has 3po ever really helped out anyway, aside from ROTJ where he kept them from getting killed by the ewoks, only because leia told him to though.

But those 2 droids are always with one of the main characters, so yes, he may very well be there.

Anyway, this is a pointless conversation.
 ET Warrior
06-06-2002, 7:55 PM
It IS a rather pointless conversation, but i hope to end it with this post...first things first...Kleg Larrs owned C3PO so he probably dealt with him more, and might have remembered him, also, they had 3po out doing labor things, i doubt owen had very many deep meaningful conversations to get to know him.......secondly, he's quite obviously a lot more....GOLD in ep4, and he's very, brownish black in ep2, thus, he doesn't look the same...and thirdly, in ep4, owen never finds out waht C3PO's name is, go ahead and watch it, he never does......and, seriously, the droids they use to help farm on tattooine are probably thought of as simple tools........if you had a hammer......and you lost it.....20 years from now will you recognize that hammer as your old one if you see somebody else trying to sell it to you? I think not.
 Jedi_Monk
06-07-2002, 3:12 PM
...and thirdly, in ep4, owen never finds out waht C3PO's name is, go ahead and watch it, he never does......
OMG, you're right! Owen comes up to 3PO
Owen: You! I suppose you're programmed for etiquette and protocol!
3PO: Protocol? Why it's my primary function--
Owen: I have no need for a protocol droid...
3PO: Of course you haven't, sir, which is why I have been programmed (can't remember the rest of this line)
Owen: What I really need is a droid that understands the binary language of moisture vaporators.
3PO: Vaporators? Why my first job was in programming binary load-lifters, very similar to your vaporators in most respects!
Owen: Can you speak Boche?
3PO: Of course I can!
Owen: Okay, I'll take this one.

3PO doesn't go into his own "I am C-3PO, human-cyborg relations..." until he's ALONE in the shed with Luke!
 NJX_Hatchet
06-07-2002, 3:46 PM
AMazing how just Watching the film changes everything!!

Besides... even if he HAD said his name... Droids in star wars are just standard equipment... something everyone should have... like a car... in 20 or 30 years I can assure you I will most likelynot remember what my first car was.
 Irishman26
06-12-2002, 1:50 AM
QUOTE ["Wow, it's C3PO. Your dad built him before he went away to become a Jedi, then took him off the the Clone Wars with him. That was a really exciting time. Massacred sand people too. What a guy!" [/B][/QUOTE]

lol, i think this is hilarious, bet that was in the 1st draft.
 Jedi Nizar
06-12-2002, 11:02 AM
when Luke tolked to Owen about, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and that R2D2 is the Droid of Obi-Wan.
at least at that moment owen should remember C3PO and R2.
but who did says that Owen didn't remember the 2 droid?
you will see how destrub Owen was, when Luke Tolked to Owen about Obi-Wan, and how he quickly said to Luke to erease the memory of the 2 droid.

I think taht Owen did remember, but he didn't said any thing to Luke. it's semple like taht!!!!

PS: I'm from Germany so, excuse my Orthograph errors
 Jaster21801
06-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Hrm... now thatz a very good point. However, it seems that Owen might not have registered that R2-D2 was the same R2 Astromech droid that he purchased. In short, I don't think we're gonna know why Owen didn't recognize 3P0 or IF he recognized him in ANH until Ep 3 comes out.... d'oh
Page: 1 of 1