Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why do they use Nobodys?

Page: 1 of 1
 JediGhost[SITH]
05-17-2002, 12:02 AM
In most of the Star Wars films you will notice that most of the actors are nobodys (No one famous, that is).. Except for Harrison Ford.

Why is this!? I don't get it... I think it does add a tiny unique twist to it, but why??
 Zaarin
05-17-2002, 12:06 AM
Harrison Ford wasn't famous when he started with Star Wars.

There are two reasons I can think of.

1. Cost of hiring the actors

2. People often have ideas associated with famous people. Imagine sticking Sylvestor Stallone or Meg Ryan in it.
 Fett_72
05-17-2002, 12:38 AM
I'd lob my Pepsi at the screen if I had to watch Freddi Prinze Jr as Anakin, that's why

;)
 Darth Iroel
05-17-2002, 12:43 AM
Samuel Jackson and Natalie portman are famous anyway....
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 12:57 AM
yeah well so was alec guiness it depends. When it comes to main role you dont want a known actor they want you to really feel for the certain character as others have mentioned.

Lucas wants you to see Mark Hamill and think Luke Skywalker right away not try to put their face to something else.
 TrUeFoRcE
05-17-2002, 2:21 AM
im glad they use nobodys.....who wants to see the same faces staring in the same movies over and over.....this way u can picture these actors as star wars actors not just actors who also had roles in star wars.......its much better this way ide hate to see other famous people in the movie because it would cloud their parts in star wars....imagine nsync or whoever they planned on having in there was in the movie i along with every other star wars fan would be pissed....even if they had big parts there other activities have led us to hate them and would have hated them in the movie....this way they can start fresh with new people....
 darthrecon
05-17-2002, 1:10 PM
From what I read in George's Time magazine interview about 2 weeks ago, he stated something to the effect that he didn't want people to think "oh, there's 'so-and-so' playing Anakin", but rather wanted people to be immersed totally with the characters themselves, not the stars playing them.
 Vader10
05-17-2002, 1:17 PM
I agree with using nobodys. Right now you have people pissing and groaning about the kid in Ep I and Hayden not portraying their view of what Anakin should be after they see the movie. If Lucas used a known actor, you would have people pissing and growing about them not portraying their view of the character BEFORE they see the movie.

Also, I take Samuel L as an example. Everytime I see him, I still think of Pulp Fiction.
 Jedi_Prophecy
05-17-2002, 3:35 PM
Well you can't really say at all that nobodies were used in all the main roles. Ewan McGregor, Natalie Portman, Ian McDiarmuid, Samuel L Jackson, Jimmy Smits, Frank Oz, Liam Neeson in Ep1. All these ppl were famous before SW roles. Aswell as that, did anyone notice willow in ep1 sitting next to Watto in the pod race? Anyone notice Obi-wan pulling a mind trick on Mouse from the Matrix??????????
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 3:45 PM
yeah prophecy most people noticed, but it's the main character that's truly the center of discussion. None of the main charaters have made it BIG. I mean I see ewan macgregor and think trainspotting and thats all. not big, Did you also know that the actor that played wedge was his uncle? someone called in a favor :) jk. I mean picture having someone like Leonardo DiCaprio as your Anakin and Brad Pitt as Obi-Wan. You wouldn't be able to get yourself immersed in the story line as you do because you keep saying I know this isn't at all the slightest bit possible cuz that's brad Pitt he's in everything now.

The movies wouldn't be the same and do as well as they do if they didn't use nobodys.
 GidionTheDead
05-17-2002, 4:07 PM
Aswell as that, did anyone notice willow in ep1 sitting next to Watto in the pod race?

Oh really? Now quess who was playing Wicket...
Page: 1 of 1