Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

Why exactly did the Tusken Raiders kidnap Simi?

Page: 1 of 1
 Nax
05-16-2002, 7:23 PM
I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. Why exactly did they kidnap her? Because she was tresspassing? And if they did kidnap her, why exactly did they keep her hostage?

I was personally looking forward to anikin thrashing Watto for selling her to tusken raiders or something.

In any case, I was surprised at how well Simi died. Considering how cheesy the circumstance is (seeing as how she dies JUST as he arrives, after being held captive for a month for some reason), she died quite well in delivery and her actual lines. Anyone else agree?

Nax
 thelegalbeagle
05-16-2002, 8:41 PM
Why did they kidnap her???

Did you see the way she was tied up? Have you never seen 'Deliverance'? Squeal, piggy!
 Natty
05-16-2002, 8:47 PM
OK- this is how I think it went. The Tuskan Raiders are stealers/scavangers blah blah blah. If you've seen ep:4, you'll know that they basically take anything that looks like it could be worth selling (in that case, they took R2D2 and C3PO who were sent to Tattooine by Leia to find ObiWan, but since the Tuskan Raiders found them they took them and sold them to Luke) I think it's kinda the same deal here. They found Shami and sold her to another set of Tuskan Raiders in which she became her slave. So they most likely tortured her and everything.
 thelegalbeagle
05-16-2002, 8:49 PM
It was Jawas that sold R2 and 3PO to Owen Lars, not Tusken Raiders.

Maybe they don't like humans living in their nice desert. After all, they took potshots at the podracers in TPM
 Lee_Wyndwalker
05-16-2002, 8:50 PM
Those aren't Tusken Raiders, those are Jawa's. The Tusken raiders are basically savages at best. They thrive on brutality and torture. They have no remorse, so they kidnapped her quite simply to either have fun with her, or to use her as a slave.
 xen0rse
05-16-2002, 11:10 PM
I think thisis going to be part of something bigger.

Maybe Sidious/Palpatine paid the tuskens to capture her so that he would start turning to the dark side.
 IceSt0rm
05-16-2002, 11:14 PM
Yep I'd have to agree with you xenOrse. Palpatine had something to do with it, this event was one of Anakin's biggest steps toward the Dark Side:ewok:
 IceSt0rm
05-16-2002, 11:16 PM
As a side thought this event is probably why the Tusken Raiders acted the way they did towards Obi Wan in episode IV. After this event they were probably scared to hell of Jedis:amidala:
 hutdo
05-16-2002, 11:22 PM
There animals so i killed them like animals, not only the men but the women too

that was sweet, go the dark side
 Fett_72
05-17-2002, 1:29 AM
Yeah the part where he told Padme about the Tuskens was teh GREATEST, I thought he acted it really well. he said it so brutally, I wanted to laugh cause there were 9 year old kids beside me expecting a Barney with sabers movie again.
 Eets
05-17-2002, 1:59 AM
Why did the Tusken Raiders kidnap Shmi?

This is easily explained, my young padawan learner.

IT WAS IN THE SCRIPT, PEOPLE! :D
 Zindell
05-17-2002, 2:21 AM
Yeah that would make sense him having something to do with it. and then the constant dreams night after night. They were probably sent by sidous aswell maybe.
 Swoosh
05-17-2002, 2:39 AM
I don't think it really needs too much explaining...I mean, why did they shoot at the pod racers during episode I? They just like to cause terror to other races! They are like animals, just causing trouble whenever they can. I don't think sandpeople can be convinced by republic credits or anything like that. :)

Swoosh
 YODA_ROCKS!!!
05-17-2002, 3:21 AM
Sidious doesnt pay off the sandpeople, but paying off The Hutts now I'm pretty sure animals or not sandpeople will listen to the Hutts since the Hutts control most of the planet
 The Adventurer
05-17-2002, 5:47 AM
Here's my take.

Remember how Mr. Lars said that 30 men went to look for her and only 4 came back? Ok think about it. The Raiders kidnap this woman, naturaly people come looking so there's more people to pillage from. So they keep her alive so that the rescuers can know there's a chance and they come back and get killed again. This only works for a little while so eventuly they just let her die after a month or so. See its all about geting tricking people into coming into their teritory so they can steal from them.
 Perniciosus
05-17-2002, 7:48 AM
Hmm. Ok, I will admit, this is a part in the movie that definately could have used some lengthening. However, here's how the book talks about it:

In the opening chapters of the book, we're introduced to Shmi Skywalker and the Lars family. Basically, we're told about what happened to Shmi after Episode 1. However, the moisture farmers are getting increasingly on edge because the Tusken Raiders continue to get closer and closer to the farms. Cliegg believes this is because no one has chased them away in a long while and they believe there is no longer a threat from the people running the farms. As these chapters progress, it becomes quite apparent that the Tuskens are getting closer and closer to the moisture farms to see how far they can push.

Shmi early one morning and goes out to the vaporators at the edge of the farm to pick mushrooms (a job I'd gladly pass to someone else). As she's there, the Tusken Raiders show up, beat her senseless and drag her away. There's really no justification for this except we know that the Tuskens are savages - look at how they've always been portrayed on Tatooine. One could assume that they did it to get back at the moisture farmers who had been chased them off previously, but that wasn't really the way I saw it in the book... it just seemed to be a random act of Tusken violence.

Cliegg, Owen and several of the farmers organize a speeder bike search party. They see a band of raiders on the horizon and all of the sudden, people yell in pain as they're knocked off of their speeders. The crafty Tuskens had put wire up at the shoulder height of an average humanoid riding a speeder bike - I suppose at this point the Tuskens figured that they had taken someone from the farms so some people were bound to come looking for them.. The people in the front were instantly beheaded, so on, so forth. Cliegg jumps and manages to survive, but his leg is sheared off and Owen, who was near the back of the group, stops in time. Those who survived turned tail and ran, Owen had to pick up his father and take him back home for emergency treatment.

Cliegg continues to want to search for Shmi, but quickly learns that he's in no shape to do so and no other people would be able to go, as the massive casualties have hurt many of the other farms. So, begrudgingly, they figure all hope is lost.

Personally, I don't think the Tuskens had any real 'motive' for kidnapping Shmi. She was there and vulnerable, so they just did. They did, however, realize that there would be a search party looking for her and used that fact to eliminate a lot of the farmers who had chased them away from the moisture farms. At least, this is what I get between the book version and movie version.
 dorain8
05-17-2002, 5:25 PM
NO ONE OTHER THAN ANAKIN OBI WAN PADME QUIGON
KNOW WHERE ANAKIN COMES FROM

ONCE YOUR A JEDI YOU BREAK OFF ALL BONDS WITH ANYONE

I HIHGLY DOUBT PALPATINE HAD NAYTHING TO DO WITH THE TUSKEN RAIDERS

SEEING AS THOUGH THEY WOULD NEVER TALK TO A PERSON!!!!!!
THEY LIVE AND BREED FOR THE HUNT

THEY ARE SAVAGES

THEY HUNT FOR FOOD AND FUN
 Vanor
05-17-2002, 5:38 PM
Originally posted by Nax
In any case, I was surprised at how well Simi died. Considering how cheesy the circumstance is (seeing as how she dies JUST as he arrives, after being held captive for a month for some reason), she died quite well in delivery and her actual lines. Anyone else agree?

Nax

I thought she did it quite well too. As to why she held on that long, it's because she wanted to see her son once more before she died. Somehow she knew he'd come to her, so she held out until she could see his face one more time.

That's the impression I got from the movie, I mentioned it to a friend of mine, who read the book and she said that was Exactly what the book said as well.
 sights0d
05-17-2002, 9:15 PM
I think it's obvious that she is a victim of Palpatine. Remember that Palpatine uses hatred as a way of turning Luke. He doesn't even need to convince the Tuskens to do anything, he just has to will it. Also, remember that Anakin's mom has no force powers (that we know of), so it is doubtful that her anguish would reach Anakin all the way across the galaxy. Instead, I think Palpatine relayed her pain. Or it could have been Dooku or some undisclosed Sith.
 Naphtali
05-17-2002, 10:07 PM
Thank you swoosh, the raiders are without reasoning, if anyone here read the book, AOTC then a lot of the plot points in the movie would be easier to understand, but you should be able to get them without the book.

SHimi was outside on a routine walk, and the raiders kidnapped her, plus the other farmers that came to battle the raiders 4 from 30 only came back. The raiders were becoming more aggressive, it just happen to be Shimi who they kidnapped maybe because shes a woman.
 Radner
05-17-2002, 10:52 PM
Here's my take on it:

They did it because they are scavangers and just like to cause trouble. After all, they try taking stuff from Lukes speeder and if you watch a deleted scene on the episode I dvd, they try shooting some jawas when they try to take some parts off a pod that got shot. Basically, the jawas are the sand peoples competition.

Second:
I thought that was one of the worst dying scenes ever! Sure it was good when she saw him but when she died, she just took her head and swung it down! It looked like a death scene kindergardeners reinact when they play army soilders or something.

Third:
Did you see the markings on her face and how she was tied up? She had the markings of Christ! She had holes or so it seemed in her wrists, or at least cut up wrists, her face was slashed on both sides just like christ, and she was even tied to a cross like structure! Just shows that Lucas likes to use a lot of religions in his movie, after all, Jedi's remind me of Buddahist monks or something. Especially since they cant own anything or love anyone.

But anyway, the Tuskens just like to cause trouble. Thats the only reason I can think of why they did it. Unless they got offered a permanent camp ground site at the boonta eve classic or something!
 UnrealJedi
05-20-2002, 6:27 PM
<<Yeah that would make sense him having something to do with it. and then the constant dreams night after night. They were probably sent by sidous aswell maybe.>>

Oh please. Stop reading into every little detail in the movie.
 Socabapu
05-23-2002, 6:27 PM
This is a forum. Reading into details is what we do! :manny:
Besides I know a lot more now about Shmi or whatever that broads name is than when I started. Thanks everyone!
 Taximes
05-24-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by dorain8

THEY ARE SAVAGES

*sigh* Two words, my caps lock happy friend, "mind trick".
 shidobu
05-24-2002, 2:09 AM

THEY ARE SAVAGES

I'm sorry, was yelling supposed to make you seem more intelligent? well that one really backfired didn't it...
 Vicious
05-24-2002, 2:57 AM
a pretty good precedent has been set in all the films and EU stuff that the tuskens are basically really harsh arseholes. torturing outsiders is probably common practice.
 Master Qui-Gon
05-24-2002, 4:30 PM

THEY ARE SAVAGES

I think Palpatine used a mind trick on Dorain so that he would use all caps and make us all get mad and turn to the dark side.
 delta_7890
05-24-2002, 9:32 PM
Originally posted by Master Qui-Gon

I think Palpatine used a mind trick on Dorain so that he would use all caps and make us all get mad and turn to the dark side.

I think it's working quite well...
Page: 1 of 1