Note: LucasForums Archive Project
The content here was reconstructed by scraping the Wayback Machine in an effort to restore some of what was lost when LF went down. The LucasForums Archive Project claims no ownership over the content or assets that were archived on archive.org.

This project is meant for research purposes only.

MP fine, SP horrible

Page: 1 of 1
 x3r0n
05-10-2002, 10:32 PM
ok ever since igot the geforce 4, jk2 has ran awsome in multiplayer. but my friend tried single player today, and it runs awsome, but every time he shoots, no matter what gun, there is a slight jump , as in the fps hiccups to zero and its back to normal. basically its unplayable. anyone know how to fix this problem?
 Elegy
05-11-2002, 7:34 AM
Not sure but it could be your card. I'm running a GeForce as well and I had probs, but mine's a GeForce 2 MX, not no GeForce 4. Nevertheless, it looks like half these people complaining about this game are running GeForce. My problem was completely different than yours, but perhaps you can try what I did anyways. Download the Detonator XP drivers from NVidia's site at http://www.nvidia.com) if you don't already got those drivers installed.
 bar-bar mandrel
05-11-2002, 12:24 PM
beleive it or not, I would bet 2 cents that it's either the sound card or memory. When you shoot, the *sound* needs to be played, and if it needs to swap from virtual memory, or the bus isn't ready, you'll get a hitch in the game.

If this were q3 id say increase the com_hunkmegs setting, but I don't think jk2 has this cvar.

Other things to try:

s_mixahead

try slightly increasing and/or decreasing this value. If it doesn't help, put it back to the default (which it'll tell you if you just type the cvar without a value). Ive had "s_mixahead .14" give me a few extra fps.

r_interval 1

You may need to set the video card's geforce properties to enable vsynch. Then set "r_interval 1", and type "vid_restart" (without quotes). This slows down the video card to the refresh rate of the monitor. I suggest this because most video cards have what called the "bus latency" set WAY too high, which means they don't share the motherboard too well. Slowing down the vid-card MIGHT make the card release the bus more often so the sound card can have a turn.

Lower resolution to see if *it* helps the situation.

This was a problem for some people playing mechwarrior4 BTW, and some fixed it by disabling hardware accelerated sound, by running DXDIAG.exe (directX diagnostics which comes with DirectX)

Good luck
Page: 1 of 1